BAIT1103 INTERNET SECURITY
1. Explain the difference between computer security, network security and
internet security by giving an example for each term.
2. What is the difference between the term threat and attack? Give one
example for each term.
3. What is the difference between passive and active security threats?
4. List and briefly define categories of passive and active security attacks. Use
diagrams to explain your answer.
5. Why are passive attacks difficult to detect and active attacks difficult to
Past Year Questions:
Q1. 7th August 2009: The well-known Twitter and Facebook websites suffered
from a form of attack. Some of the users reported that the access to the websites
became slower and degraded. After these attacks, Facebook was still working
whereas Twitter remained offline for 2 hours.
Name this type of attack. (2 marks)
Is this attack a passive attack or an active attack? Support your answer
with an explanation. (3 marks)
This type of attack usually attacks on availability of the websites. From
the perspective of security services, describe the term availability.
Q2. Briefly describe the following terms and provide ONE (1) example each.
Security attack. (3 marks)
Security service. (3 marks)
Security mechanism. (3 marks)