Tutorial 6 (Operating Systems and Utility Programs)
1. Differentiate between single user/single
user/multitasking operating system.
2. What is a utility program? Describe FOUR (4) types of utility programs.
3. An operating system is a collection of programs that handles many of the technical details
related to using a computer.
Briefly describe any FIVE (5) operating system functions
b. Differentiate between warm boot and cold boot.
List and describe THREE (3) basic categories of operating systems
4. Users interact with software through its user interface.
a. What is a user interface?
b. How do a command-line interface and a graphical user interface differ?
5. A file compression utility shrinks the size of a file. Briefly explain the two types of file
compression: lossy and lossless.
6. Describe the purpose of backup and restore utilities.
7. Virus attack computers in various ways. Describe FOUR (4) signs of virus infection.