1. Media PitchFOR MY MEDIA PROJECT I DECIDED TO DO APROMOTION PACKAGE FOR THE RELEASE OFAN ALBUM WITH A COVER FOR ITS RELEASEON DVD AND A MAGAZINE ADVERTISEMENT FOR THE DVD. THE SOUNDTRACK I HAVE CHOSEN FOR MY MUSIC VIDEO IS OASIS – WONDERWALL.
2. Similar products Throughout the researching process I looked at 21 music videos overall because I wanted to gain a deeper understanding of the forms and conventions of a music video. I firstly watched the video of Wanderwall. This gave me a primary idea for what I want my video to look like. nostalgic and morose I would like to make my own video imply such feeling within the target audience
3. Continuation... Furthermore, I looked at a cover version of wonderwll and an alternative video by Alex Goot. Despite the fact it‟s different setting than the one in the original video Alex has preserved the nostalgic and melancholic motive of the song by predominantly using slow editing style. His video also gave me ideas for my own as I really liked certain elements he had added and which didn‟t exist in the original video.
4. Continuation... I also looked at „Stop crying your heart out’ by Oasis which again is rather nostalgic and melancholic but also brings hope due to the content of the lyrics. This is reinforced by the use of editing as it is there are long takes but when change occurs the editing becomes faster. Another song I checked is ‘Cigarettes and Alcohol’ by Oasis. The video and the song are rather controversial and had a distinguishable difference with the previous two songs by Oasis I researched. (fast song + editing) I looked at the video for ‘Let it be’ (plain) and ‘Strawberry Filed’ (blurry) I also checked some music videos by Coldplay including ‘Paradise’, ‘The scientist’, ‘Yellow’ and ‘Violet Hill’. I looked at music videos of R‟n‟B songs such as Beyonce – Best Thing I Never Had, Rihanna – Take a Bow and Kanye West – Gold-digger. (objectification of women) I looked at Nirvana- Smells Like teen Spirit and Guns N‟ Roses – Sweet Child O’ Mine. Taylor Swift‟s ‘We are never ever getting back together’ Lisa Leob‟s ‘Stay’ Nickelback – Rockstar Merlyn Menson‟s „Sweet dreams‟ Metallica - One
5. Conclusions As I researched different rock music videos I learned that the majority of them have used dull lighting which subscribes to the serious genre. Representation: “ There has been a change in focus from the representation of the passive, dependent female to a more confident focus on self” Angela McRobbie. Females have been represented as either an object of desire or as passive despite the fact we have entered the post- modern era. This is due to application of the Male Gaze Theory developed by Winship. Women are presented in such a way because men want to see them in such a way.
6. Audience Research Gender? My research showed that men and women are almost equally likely to buy my product which shows that my product is mainstream (females were 10% more than males) How old are you? I would have to aim the young people as they are more likely to buy my product (15-25 years and 25-30 were the biggest age group in my research) What ethnicity are you? The two main ethnicity groups I need to target are White British, especially (since Oasis is a British band) and White Other. What is your occupation? Students as well as people from the work sector are likely to buy my product which once again shows that it is mainstream and would apply to wider audience. What is your favourite type of rock music? Majority of people I asked on Facebook like alternative rock. Alternative rock tends to be the most popular and listened to genre of rock music today. Which rock band are you most likely to listen to from the ones listed below? The „Rock bands Question‟ reflects on the previous one as each of the answers I suggested in the questionnaire were bands that perform different type of rock music. In this question the majority answered they like Coldplay which suggests shows once more that this type of rock music is the most famous one. How do you prefer to receive your music? Nowadays more people prefer the convenient option of downloading their music rather than buying CDs How many CDs do you own? However there are reasonable amount of CD owners. The majority of poeple from my research said that they own 5 to 10 CDs.
7. More research CD – Mylo Oxyloto (Coldplay)
8. “Wonderwall” (1996)
9. „(What‟s the story) Morning Glory‟ – the album „Wonderwall‟ was part of
10. Cast Things to pick up on: -Male Gaze Theory -Pretty Boy look which would apply to female audience -Boys band look - therefore I was aiming for my actors all together to have that contemporary rock band appearance.
11. Locations Inside: A. Drama studio at my school – I chose it for the shots of when the band is playing together or sitting together. I chose it because there are different lights and I can experiment with them and create a better media product and also there is enough space for the whole band. Also the white background on the walls is exactly what I am looking for. B. The photography studio – I chose it for the two shots of the female and male protagonist and for the shots of the cello musician. C. The stage at the lunch hall – I chose it for the shots where the protagonist/front man is singing and playing the guitar by himself. I chose it because there is a lot of space and I can make the main character look isolated by using wide or long shots and reinforce the nostalgic theme of the song. Outside: A. On the street – I want to take a different tracking shots at different locations. This will reflect on the narrative as I want to make it look as if the two protagonists are travelling through their life looking for something which is missing. B. In the park – this is again tracking shot used for the same reason mentioned above.
12. CostumeThe Girls The guys
13. Why? I chose such costumes for the band because they are fashionable and quite conventional for rock bands( shirts, t-shirts, leather jackets). The colours are again rather dark which subscribes to the nostalgic mood of the song.
14. Props Because I want the concentration of the audience to be drawn to the performers rather than the fancy props and setting I decided I will have predominantly plain background with little or no props at all. Guitars, drums, microphone and the cello will be the major and most important props I will need for that music video as they are conventional for the rock genre and crucial to have.
15. Script Narrative: The protagonist who is also front man of the band is in a confused state of his life and he is yearning to find someone who is going to be special for him and vice versa. He desires the girl he has feelings for and she dreams for him but they have to go through lot obstacles and experience before being together. However, the love story between those two characters finishes unresolved at the end of the video and it is unclear whether or not they are going to be „the one that saves me‟ for each other. At the stage in the lunch hall in front of the black curtains there are around 11 shots going through the video in that particular scene. The protagonist is by himself in the dark background which symbolises his loneliness and isolation. The simplistic background and the lack of props makes the audience concentrate on what the character is doing which would imply the nostalgic feeling within us. At the photography room: there are around 7 or 8 shots included in the video from that scene. The female protagonist is laying down which shows the lack of strength as something is missing from her life. It would be as is she is having troubles with her sleep. The background is dark again which reflects on her depressed state. Also the shot of the cello musician are going to be taken at that room. On the street when cars are passing by – this symbolises the dynamics of life and that the life of the dual protagonist continues going despite their search for the „one that saves them‟. In the drama room: there are going to be shots predominantly of the band while they are playing the song in this location. The guys will be „pretending to play‟ and will be sitting down together which symbolises their friendship and unity as they are supposed to be in a relaxing environment where the protagonist sort of confesses his emotions to his friends. Outside at the street/park: Predominantly tracking shots of the two main characters which will symbolise their search for the one that is missing from their lives and also their experience through their lives.
16. Shot lists Whip camera shots Close-ups (variations) Panning shots Tracking shots Group shots Wide shots Long shots Point-of-view shots Low angle shots High angle shots
17. Storyboard Extreme close up of the centre of the guitar while main character is playing then Long shot of male protagonist singing at the mike + slightly slowly zooming out (5 seconds) – to introduce the male protagonist ( zooming in ( 3 seconds) panning shot of keila‟s arm while she is laying down (2 seconds) Low angle shot of blonde guitarist playing the guitar ( 2 Wide shot of the front man sitting on a chair playing the guitar (sets the scene seconds) and introduces us to the main character) (2 seconds) Wide shot of cars passing by (2 seconds) Mid close up of the female protagonist looking away from the camera then Tracking shot of female protagonist walking down the street (3 looking at the camera (3 seconds) – to introduce the female protagonist seconds) Wide group shot of the band preparing to play ((2 seconds) – establishes the Longs shot of Jagoda playing the cello ( 2 seconds) other characters Wide shot of cars passing by (2 seconds) Panning close up of guitar while somebody is playing it. (2 seconds) Close up of male protagonist singing ( 2 seconds) Close up of female protagonist (2 seconds) Panning shot of the band sitting down ( in tribute to the Wide shot of Cars passing by the street ( 2 seconds) original video) (3 seconds) Mid close up of female protagonist (2 seconds) Jagoda playing the cello (3 seconds) Two shot from far away (2 seconds) Two shots of the protagonists while he is singing „Cuz maybe Group shot of the band ready to play ( 3 seconds) you gotta be the one that saves me‟ ( 3 seconds) Closer Two shot of female and male protagonist while he is singing “today was Low angle shot of brunet guitarist ( 2 seconds) gonna be the day that they‟re gonna throw it back to you (5 seconds) – to show the audience there is a love story between those two characters. Panning shot of the goup from left to right ( 3 seconds) Long shot of the main character standing at a mike singing, “By now you Tracking shot of male protagonist walking down the street (3 should‟ve somehow realised what you gotta do. ( 3 seconds) seconds) Wide shot of cars passing by (2 seconds) Side shot of Jagoda playing the cello (3 seconds) Slowly zooming in while he is playing the guitar to close up of his face singing Tracking shot of female protagonist walking down a park (3 “I don‟t believe that anybody feels the way I do about you now” (3 seconds) seconds) Wide shot of the whole band playing the song (3 seconds) Panning close up of guitar (3 seconds) Close up of the cello bow (2 seconds) Close up of Jagoda‟s face while playing the cello (2 seconds) Panning shot from left to right of female protagonist‟s body (3 seconds) Long shot of the male protagonist singing with the band (3 Long shot of Jagoda playing the cello (3 seconds) seconds) Long shot of male protagonist standing at a corner looking away of the camera Panning shot of female protagonist‟s body (3 seconds) then looking at the camera (3 seconds) Two shot of male and female protagonist ( 3 seconds) Side shot of drummer playing the drums (3 seconds) Group shot of the band playing the instruments (3 seconds) Wide two shot of the two guitarists (2 seconds) Close up of blonde guitarist (1 second) Long shot of female protagonist standing next to a wall looking at the camera (2 Close up of drummer (1 second) seconds) Close up of brunet guitarist (1 second) Tracking shot of male protagonist walking through a park (3 seconds) Close up of front man (1 second) Panning shot of female protagonist‟s body (3 seconds) Side shot of female protagonist sitting by a lake ( 3 seconds)
18. Storyboard Side shot of male protagonist sitting by a lake ( 2 seconds) Low angle shot of blonde guitarist playing the guitar ( 2 seconds) Panning shot of the group sitting down (3 seconds) Close up of jagoda‟s face while playing the cello ((2 seconds) Close up of protagonist singing by himself ( 2 seconds) Tracking shot of female protagonist (2 seconds) High angle shot of female and male protagonist (3 seconds) Extreme close up of guitar while someone is playing it (3 seconds) Close up of drum sticks + zoom out (3 seconds) Close up of protagonist‟s face while he is singing (2 seconds) Group shot of the band (2 seconds) Panning extreme close up of a guitar while somebody is playing Close up of the bow of the cello while jagoda is playing it (2 on it. (2 seconds) seconds) Tracking shot of male protagonist (2 seconds) Tracking shot of female protagonist walking down the street (3 seconds) Tracking shot of female protagonist (2 seconds) Close up of male protagonist singing (3 seconds) Long shot of jagoda playing the cello (2 seconds) Panning shot of female protagonist‟s body (2 seconds) Group shot of the band playing the song (3 seconds) Long shot of brunette guitarist playing the guitar ( 3 Close up of blonde guitarist‟s face (2 seconds) seconds) Wide shot of male protagonist singing at the mike (2 seconds) Wide shot showing the group walking towards each other Panning shot of female protagonist‟s body (2 seconds) two from left two from right (2 seconds) Close up of drummer‟s face (2 seconds) Group shot of the group playing the song. (2 seconds) Mid close up of jagoda‟s face while playing the cello (2 seconds) Wide shot of drummer playing the drums. ( 2 seconds) Panning shot of female protagonist‟s body (2 seconds) Two shot of male and female protagonist while he is singing Close up of brunette guitarist‟s face ( 2 seconds) ( 3 seconds) Side group shot of the band playing (3 seconds) Right Side shot of the drummer playing the drums (3 Two shot of female and male protagonist ( 2 seconds) seconds) Wide shot of female protagonist‟s legs while she is walking then Tracking shot of male protagonist walking down the street zooming out to show her entirely.( 3 seconds) (3 seconds) Tracking shot of male protagonist ( 2 seconds) Long shot of jagoda playing the cello (3 seconds) Panning shot of the group while sitting down + slight zoom out Tracking shot of female protagonist ( 2 seconds) ( 3 seconds) Tracking shot of male protagonist ( 2 seconds) Close up of jagoda‟s face playing the cello ( 2 seconds) Panning shot of the group sitting down from right to left ( 3 Two shot of male and female protagonist (2 seconds) seconds) Tracking shot of male protagonist from the back while walking Close up of protagonist‟s face singing ( 2 seconds) fading into tracking shot from the back of female protagonist Panning shot of the group sitting down from left to right (4 while walking ( altogether 6 seconds) seconds) Long shot of cars passing by (3 seconds) Long shot of female protagonist at the dark room ( 2 seconds)
19. Storyboard This is a rough sketch of the shots I am going to use predominantly and which are also crucial for the development of the narrative. They are consequently repeated throughout the video.