1. The role of Educational Technologyin the 21stCenturyLILIBETH A. ROLDANPh.D. Educational ManagementDR. ELADIO R. SANTIAGOProfessor
2. • While it is difficult to make precisepredictions, it is quite likely that technologywe are totally unaware today may bedeveloped in the years following the turn ofthe century. It may also be technology thattotally changes the way we think about theworld and the opportunities for the delivery ofeffective and efficient education.
3. Current Trends in Teaching and Learning in theFuture• 1. Student-Centered Learning• 2. Teaching Higher Cognitive and Non-cognitiveSkills• 3. The Spread of New Information Technology
4. Student-Centered Learning:• Education is shifting to a more student-centered approaches• The student-centered techniques will notreplace completely the teacher institution-centered approach but there will be a slow andsteady increase in the use of student-centeredlearning within the traditional system.• To become competent, people must continuestudying• New forms of education delivery suchas open-university
5. Teaching Higher Cognitive andNon-cognitive Skills• Increasing emphasis on group learning activities• Group learning activities has been given furtherimpetus by the development of science andtechnology-based games, simulation and casestudies• Decision-making, communication and interpretationskills are now regarded as the essential part of aproperly rounded education
6. The Spread of New InformationTechnology• IT in all its various forms and manifestations ismaking an increasing impact on education• IT is now becoming the current trend inequipping quality education• IT equipments are rapidly becoming cheap
7. What is the role of computers ineducation? What are the benefits ofintroducing computers early ineducation?
8. Computers in Education• Computer technology has had a deep impact onthe education sector. Imparting education hasbecome easier and much more interesting thanbefore. Owing to memory capacities ofcomputers, large chunks of data can be stored inthem. They enable quick processing of data withvery less or no chances of errors in processing.Networked computers aid quick communicationand enable web access. Storing documents oncomputers in the form of soft copies instead ofhard ones, helps save paper
9. • Computers are powerful, multifunctional tools thatfulfill many roles at all levels of education.Computers are commonly used in education forapplications such as communication, distributingeducation materials, remote learning, performingclass work and admissions. In some cases computeruse may even be an educational requirement.
10. The advantages of computers ineducation primarily include:• Storage of information• Quick data processing• Audio-visual aids in teaching• Better presentation of information• Access to the Internet• Quick communication between students,teachers and parents
11. • Computers have changed the way we work, beit any profession. Therefore, it is only butnatural the role of computers in education hasbeen given a lot of prominence in the recentyears. Computers play a vital role in every field.They aid industrial processes; they findapplications in medicine; they are the heart ofthe software industry; they play a vital role ineducation. The uses of computers in educationare manifold. The following are the importantfacets of the role of computers in education.
12. Computers are a brilliant aid inteaching.• Computers can turn out being a brilliant aidin teaching. Computers facilitate an audio-visual representation of information, thusmaking the process of learning interactive andinteresting. Computer-aided teaching addsa fun element to education.
13. Computers have given impetus todistance education. Online education has revolutionized the educationindustry. Computer technology has made the dream ofdistance learning, a reality. Education is no longerlimited to classrooms. It has reached far and wide,thanks to computers. Physically distant locations havecome closer due to Internet accessibility. So, even ifstudents and teachers are not in the same premises,they can very well communicate with one another.There are many online educational courses, wherebystudents are not required to attend classes or bephysically present for lectures. They can learn from thecomfort of their homes and adjust timings as per theirconvenience.
14. Computer software help betterpresentation of information. Computers facilitate effective presentation ofinformation. Presentation software like PowerPoint andanimation software like Flash among others can be ofgreat help to teachers while delivering lectures.Teachers hardly use chalk and board today. They bringpresentations on a flash drive, plug it in to a computer inthe classroom, and the teaching begins. Theres color,theres sound, theres movement - the same oldinformation comes forth in a different way and learningbecomes fun. The otherwise not-so-interesting lessonsbecome interesting due to audio-visual effects. Due tothe visual aid, difficult subjects can be explained inbetter ways. Things become easier to follow .
15. Computers enable access to theInternet which has information onliterally everything. Internet can play an important role in education. As it is anenormous information base, it can be harnessed forretrieval of information on a variety of subjects. TheInternet can be used to refer to information on differentsubjects. Both teachers and students benefit from theInternet. Teachers can refer to it for additional informationand references on the topics to be taught. Students canrefer to web sources for additional information on subjectsof their interest. The Internet helps teachers set testpapers, frame questions for home assignments and decideproject topics. And not just academics, teachers can useweb sources for ideas on sports competitions,extracurricular activities, picnics, parties and more.
16. Computer hard drives and storagedevices are an excellent way to storedata. Computers enable storage of data in the electronic format, therebysaving paper. Memory capacities of computer storage devices are ingigabytes. This enables them to store huge chunks of data.Moreover, these devices are compact. They occupy very less space,yet store large amounts of data. Both teachers and students benefitfrom the use of computer technology. Presentations, notes and testpapers can be stored and transferred easily over computer storagedevices. Similarly, students can submit homework and assignmentsas soft copies. The process becomes paperless, thus saving paper.Plus, the electronic format makes data storage more durable.Electronically erasable memory devices can be used repeatedly.They offer robust storage of data and reliable data retrieval.
17. • This was about the role of computers ineducation. But we know, its not just theeducation sector which computers haveimpacted. They are of great use in everyfield. Today, a life without computers isunimaginable. This underline theimportance of computer education.Knowledge of computers can propel onescareer in the right direction. Computers area part of almost every industry today. Theyare no longer limited any specific field. Theyare used in networking, for informationaccess and data storage and also in theprocessing and presentation of information.
18. • Introducing computers early in education plays thefoundation of most of the major competitive careers.Computers play a significant role in one’s personaland professional life