II. Shell and user interfaceWindows redefined user interface adding Modern Ui start screen and a new lock screen optimized fortouchscreens. Further, clicking inthe top of screen makes the new charm bar appear containing four options"search", "share", "start", "device" and "settings".
Touch on "search" show by default the list of applications installed and a pop-up which came to write somethingto search. We can select if its an app, an OS parameter, a file or something in an app."Share"allowssharingsomething in app. User must be in it otherwise it shows that there is nothing to share at themoment and select an app and try again. Select “start” andon Modern Ui start screen appears. Choose deviceoffers us to share something with a device.
Modern Ui start screen is Brick-shaped with title of app on the left corner of brick app. Also, its possible to closenew windows 8 apptouching top of left screen or with task manager. These apps are launched in full screen bydefault but its possible to put them on a side. So, we can do multi-tasking more easily. 1. User LogonThe new windows 8 lock screen allows login with many method. The first one and traditional is password logon.The second one, optimized for tablets and laptop computer is picture password logon. The last onepermits tologon with a four digit pin. The computer locks out when we enter five times a wrong pin code or wrong picture.Its possible to use it again with a text password.
2. Microsoft account integrationA user who has a Microsoft account can sign in all windows 8 computer in addition of traditional local connection.He can update his local account with a Microsoftaccount. Otherwise he will not be administrator but a simple userwith limited accessesfiles and applications. For this, he needs an authorization delivered by a local computersadministrator. 3. Multi-monitor supportMicrosoftadds function to taskbar. When the screen is shared with another one, the taskbar is dedicated to itsown screen. The wallpaper can be dedicated or not.
4. File ExplorerMicrosoft has rebuilt windows explorer which names now file explorer. It has a ribbon toolbar which looks likeoffice 2010.Also, its possible to natively mount ISO, IMG and VHD files as virtual drives.
Additionally, many data are shown when a file is transferred like a graphicrepresenting speed transfer, thepossibility to aggregate multiple operations at once and the ability to pause and resume file transfer. 5. Internet Explorer a) Internet Explorer was updated to version number 10. There are a desktop app and a metro app which is displayed in full screen and optimized for touchscreen. Flash player is now included with IE.
6. Task ManagerTask Manager was rebuilt. It has a simple and detail view. On the simple view, only apps are displayed. This viewrepresents the App tab in windows 7 and it is the default view of task manager.
Detail view contains process, performance, app history, startup, users, details and services. Process tab has moredetail than windows 7 process tab. Indeed, processes are organized by default by app, background process andwindows process but it can be disabled in view option. It showsthe part that app take from the CPU, RAM, HDDand network (in percentage). Now, all Windows processes are grouped by application. For example, all tab of IE isshowing under IE explorer process.
Performance tab display detail of CPU, RAM, primary HDD and Network (like Ethernet, WI-FI, Bluetooth...).However, more details are shown in resource monitor.App history tab shows a list of application launched with many details (CPU times, Network, Usage network costand thumbnail update).
Startup tab shown the app launched with windows start with many detail such as app name, editor name, statute(enable/disable) and system impact (low/middle/high).Users tab shows the list of system users with detail such as status, process, RAM, HDD and network.
Detail tab display app name, PID number, status, user name, CPU, Memory and description.Services tab shows the name of service, PID number, Description, status and group. However, more details andoptions are present in service monitor.
7. Family SafetyFamily Safety is now included natively with windows 8. It permits Administrator to make some usage reports andrestrict eventually user activity. III. Infrastructure 1. File HistoryThis featureprotects user and system data. The goal is to create incremental backups of library folder and userspecified folder to an external storage device. The user can restore later data. Also, file history use USN journalmethod to track changes and simply new version of files. 2. Hardware supportMass storage with USB version 3 is now supported natively by windows 8 which allowed faster data transfers andbetter power management.Also, there is a port which was created on windows 8 especially for tablet runningWindows RT. On it, traditional desktop appsare not supported because the CPU is ARM, it is possible to executeonly windows store app. Only office 2013 was created on both. 3. InstallationMicrosoft has reviewedits upgrade assistant. It allowed purchasing, downloading, installing windows 8 but alsocreating an USB key and DVD of it and checking the computer compatibility (hardware and software) directly fromthe desktop. Moreover, its still possible to install windows 8 at the computer start, before an OS is starting. Now,the product key is directly included in firmware and no more printed below computer.
4. NetworkingNow its possible to connectinternet using mobile broadband with a SIM card and Windows detects automaticallythe users carrier name. However carriers can create their own app to connect users at internet. 5. StartupThe startup has changed. Indeed, when shut down is pressed, the system hibernate the kernel. This method allowsa faster boot on the system.Also, it is possible to use "-o" with shutdown.exe or holding shift + restart to accessUEFI settings. It had been made because the system is so fast than human have no time to access UEFI settingswith classic method. 6. Repair and recoveryMicrosoft allowed resetting the system with or without erasing personal data and programs and without theinstallation files. Indeed, the refresh option preserves user profiles, settings, and apps whereas reset option erasesall data present in the HDD and reinstall the system. 7. SecurityWindows Defender has now an anti-virus function in addition of anti-malware. It is include natively with windows8.However, a user can install his own protection. In this case windows defender will be disable automatically but itwill be enable again if a user removes, disables it or license expires. Also, Windows 8 supports secure boot. Thismode was created to prevent incoming intrusion before the system start. 8. Windows To Go“Windows To Go” allows booting Windows from an external mass storage device. However, all devices are notcompatible yet. Microsoft supplies a list of compatible devices. IV. Virtualization 1. Hyper-VWindows Virtual PC has been substituted by Hyper-V, the Microsoft supervisor which is include natively inWindows 8 while it was only in Microsoft OS server.
Second Part: Removed Features I. Windows Shell 1. Start MenuThe start menu has been replaced by the start screen. It misses some important options like the recent documentmenu or the most frequently used program list. 2. Start ButtonThe start buttonchanged. Up to windows 7, start menu shows a little popup with many shortcuts. Now, startbutton sends to the modern ui start screen. It is no longer available on task bar but on the charm bar with movingmouse on bottom or top right of screen. The Windows key on keyboard has the same function. 3. Windows Desktop GadgetWindows Desktop Gadget was removed. This featureshows in right screen bar (windows vista) or in all screen(windows 7) some gadgets like Weather or clock.
II. Personalization and DVM 1. Windows Flip 3DWindows Flip 3D has been removed. However, it was substituted by metro app (⊞Win+Tab↹). 2. Aero Glass ThemeAero Glass Theme was deleted but some elements are still present.
3. Desktop Window ManagerThere is no more longer Windows Classic theme present in windows 8 but high contrast theme is still present(cf. picture above). 4. Advanced Appearance SettingsTo change windows backgrounds color, users have to apply a high contrast theme under personalize option (cf.picture above). III. File Explorer 1. Command barThe new Ribbon UI replaces the classic command bar. However, some control panel applets still use the old userinterface 2. status barStatus bar has been curtailed.
3. Briefcase optionThe Briefcase optiondisappears after having a left click and selecting "New".
IV. GamesAll Windows games are removed. However some of them are available on the windows store. V. Networking 1. dial-up networking"Redial attempts" and "Redial if line is dropped" were deleted in redialing options.
2. WirelessManage Wireless networks option (The IIIII icon) is no longer available like set up a wireless ad hoc even if it is stillpresent innetsh command line. 3. BluetoothShortcuts of Bluetooth file wizard were removed but it can be recovered with fsquirt.exe. VI. User Accounts and Security 1. User account picturesUser account pictures are not available anymore.
2. Parental ControlsParental Controls is replacedby Family safety. 3. Windows CardSpaceParental Controls isreplaced by Family safety. 4. Windows DefenderMicrosoft Security Essential isreplaced by Windows Defender. VII. Media Features 1. Windows Media CenterMedia center is no present natively in Windows 8. Its an add-on of pro version. Until January 31st, Microsoftoffered media center for free. Now user must pay to get it. Media center is not available onWindows startup. 2. Windows Media PlayerWindows Media player is no longer able to play DVD because Microsoft decided to realize some economy withsurrender DVD license. However, Windows Media Center is still available to play DVD but it is no free. Also, MediaGuide feature was deleted.
3. MPEG-2 video codecMPEG-2 video codec is not installed natively, but available with Media center add-on. 4. Windows DVD MakerWindows DVD maker was removed. VIII. File System 1. Backup and Restore control panelThe feature was replaced by File History. 2. Persistent shadow copiesThe feature was replaced by File History (cf. picture above). IX. Other 1. Stop errorsWhen Windows crashes, now only some technical stop errors are displayed.
2. Windows XP ModeWindows XP mode is not available anymore. 3. touch-based pointing devicesThere is no optionto enable/disable touch-based pointing devices. 4. SoundsThe log in and log off sounds was removed and startup sounds was disable by default.