Last year, the inability to produce subpoenaed e-mail resulted in million dollar—even billion dollar—lawsuits against U.S. companies.
Most Difficult Skill
2. Understanding Listening Skills
• For decades, there are
complaints about people
lacking of listening skills.
• Even though listening is the
communication skill we use
most frequently, it is also
the skill in which we’ve
had the least training.
3. Understanding Listening Skills
• Unfortunately, many
experts say that a
person only remembers
a fraction of what is
said to them.
• And studies also
confirm that most of us
are poor and inefficient
4. Understanding Listening Skills
Barriers to Effective Listening
• Listening barriers
• the listener's
• noise and visual
5. Understanding Listening Skills
Barrier 01 – Low Concentration
• Low concentration can
be the result of:
– Psychological situation:
• lack of interest in the
subject material, stress or
– Physical situations:
• such as visual
6. Understanding Listening Skills
Barrier 02 - Trying too hard
• Listeners need to be able to prioritize
the information they receive in order
to pick out what is most important.
• Often, the information that the
audience needs to know is delivered
along with information that is less
pertinent or even not relevant at all.
• When listeners give equal weight to
everything they hear, it makes it
difficult to organize and retain the
information they need.
7. Understanding Listening Skills
Barrier 03 - Jumping ahead
• When listening to a speaker's
message, it is common to
sometimes overlook aspects of
the conversation before all of
the information is presented.
• It tends to cause listeners to
enter the conversation before
the speaker finishes her
message and, as a result, form
opinions without first obtaining
all pertinent information.
8. Understanding Listening Skills
Barrier 04 - Focusing on style, not substance
• When listening to a speaker,
we can get distracted by other
elements than the message that
has been transmitted.
• A different approach or the
style that the speaker
communicates can draw the
listener's attention away from
the real information, affecting
his opinion unfairly.
9. Understanding Listening Skills
Barrier 05 - Cultural Differences
• Cultural differences
(including speakers' accents,
misunderstandings) can also
obstruct the listening
• To avoid this obstruction,
listeners should make a
point of being aware of
differences in advance.
10. Understanding Listening Skills
• Don’t expect to become a good
listener overnight since it demands
time, patience, concentration and hard
• This means we need to make a real
effort to listen carefully and
concentrate more of our mental
capacity on the listening act.
• So think of listening as a skill that
must be mastered.
• Learn to be where the conversation is,
concentrating on every second of it.
11. • The following are referenced in
– Dr. Carol Kinsey Goman
– Bob Weinstein
– Mike Shoultz
– Information Listening
Understanding Listening Skills
12. Understanding Listening Skills
Feel free to send us an e-mail.
Linkedin: Roberto de Paula Lico Júnior