Transcript of "Rio Hondo College Library Virtual library tour"
Welcome to the Rio Hondo College
• Located on the second floor of the Learning
Resource Center (LRC) building.
• Campus Map – Click here
Rio Hondo’s 1st Green Building
• Many building materials are made from recycled
• Reduced energy consumption through the use
of natural light and light sensors.
• Pollution-reduced heating and cooling.
• Landscaping uses native plants that require less
Check out Books and CDs
Use of Textbooks and Course Reserves
Access to Online Databases via Access Rio
Individual Research Consultations
Study areas and group study rooms
Copy and Printing Center
Reference and Information Services
General Library Policies
• There are no open drink containers allowed in
library areas. Only water bottles are permitted.
• Food is only permitted in the library lobby.
• Cell phone conversations are only permitted in
the library lobby.
• Books should not be reshelved but placed on
• Noise should be kept at a minimum.
• Located near the library entrance
• You check in/out books here using your Rio
Hondo ID card
• Get course reserve material and text books
• Located to the left of the main entrance
• Newspapers, Magazines and Scholarly Journals
are found in this section.
•Browse CDs or watch DVDs/Videos here
•A quiet study area
• A librarian will always be available at the
Reference Desk to assist you.
• If you need help stop here first
Are located next to the Reference Desk
Encyclopedias - Brief overview of a topic
Dictionaries – Definitions of terms
Almanacs – Facts on many subjects
More than 40 PCs are available by
reservation for 60 minutes at a time in the
Library's Computer Commons
Reserve a Workstation
• To Reserve a Computer type your student ID
and create a password
• You will be assigned to a workstations for 90 min
• The copy center is located just past the circulation
• Purchase a print card for 1 dollar.
• 10 cents a page for B/W printing and copying.
• Color prints and copies cost $1.00.
• To print a document; select print. Enter a short
password in the pop-up box that appears and
proceed to the copy center.
• Insert your copy card, select your print job from
the list, type in your password, then select “start
• There are many study areas around the
• There are also 7 group study rooms
available for up to two hour for groups of
two or more.
• Visit the Reference Desk to make a study
The Tree House Area
Children’s literature can be found here
Children’s area for quiet play/reading
This area is for quiet study only
Group Study Rooms
Seven are available in two hour
increments. Reserve a room
up to a week in advance.
Room reservations can
be made at the Reference
desk or by phone.
Library Instruction Classrooms
Library orientations are held
in one of these classrooms
• These books can be checked out at the
Circulation Desk using your student ID.
• They are organized by subject, using the Library
of Congress classification system.
• The library catalog is used to find books.
• It can be searched by book title, author, subject
• Please stop by the reference desk for assistance
searching the library catalog.
The call number is used to locate a
book in the circulating bookshelves.
Finding The Library’s Webpage
Click on the “Library” link on the College
homepage or go directly to the library
homepage at http://library.riohondo.edu/
The Library’s Webpage has links to many
• The Online Catalog, Library Databases, Subject Guides, Tutorials
Use Access Rio For Off-Campus
•Log in and click the “Library” tab in Access Rio
•Choose a database from the list
•Begin your search.
Free WIFI is available
• To access the WIFI choose the Rio Guest
option. This is an open access network.
• You must click continue at the security certificate
• Click the “Accept Terms” button to gain access
to the internet.
• WIFI will work with tablets, smartphones, and
laptops as long as the “Accept” button is clicked
to accept the terms and conditions.
The printing website is http://vendprint880:9090
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.