Library 2.0 is a
state of mind
•Working to meet changing user needs
•Trusting our users (radical trust)
•Getting rid of the culture of perfect
•Aware of emerging technologies and
•Looking outside of the library world for
applications, opportunities, inspiration
We really need
to do these Web
2.0 things all the
other libraries are
I think our library really needs a blog
to be relevant to our patrons. Don’t
worry, I’ll handle everything.
Why does it fail?
• Use of social software is not seen as furthering
the library’s mission
• Social software is treated as someone’s
• Social software is not planned for strategically
like other technologies
• Once the newness wears off, people are less
motivated to contribute
• Staff are not given time to work on social
Will you need to create
new jobs or just shufﬂe?
Is your organization (as it is
currently structured) able
to make all this happen?
Links and presentation at
• Library 2.0 Meme Map http://ﬂickr.com/photos/gbierens/178568449/ by Gerard Bierens
• Digitage Web 2.0 http://ﬂickr.com/photos/oceanﬂynn/315385916/ by ocean.ﬂynn
• Long Range Plan Discussion http://ﬂickr.com/photos/maubrowncow/2763362494/ by Nebraska
• TBLC Annual Meeting http://ﬂickr.com/photos/sylvar/287940515/ by Sylvar
• Amazing PowerPoint Presentation http://ﬂickr.com/photos/maubrowncow/2763362494/ by
• Dewey or don't we? http://ﬂickr.com/photos/scampion/1500054745/ By scampion
• RISK #2 http://ﬂickr.com/photos/tollaksen/967960/ by Bjornar
• Perfection http://ﬂickr.com/photos/unloveable/2401166750/ by unloveable
• IMG_2016.JPG http://ﬂickr.com/photos/stevenjude/848723658/ by stevenjude
• Wait: I’ll ﬁx it. http://ﬂickr.com/photos/stshores24/488419188/ by sshores24
• Farm Cat Group http://ﬂickr.com/photos/weesmalldoll/432578986/ by weesmalldoll
• The Spongebob Square, Er, Roundpants Juggle http://ﬂickr.com/photos/cayusa/2574029855/ by
• Rapid Shufﬂe http://ﬂickr.com/photos/latitudes/66424863/ by Johnny Blood
• sunny day http://ﬂickr.com/photos/iamthebestartist/2226165685/ by jessamyn
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.