9. I think our library really needs to do ___ to be relevant to our patrons. Don’t worry, I’ll handle everything.
10. So, I’m going to need you to start doing ___, ok?
11. This will be the best library blog ever!
12. So what’s the problem?
16. Why does it fail? <ul><li>The service or technology is not tied to the library’s mission or strategic goals </li></ul><ul><li>It’s considered someone’s “pet project” </li></ul><ul><li>Services where the only cost is staff time are often not planned for strategically </li></ul><ul><li>Once the newness wears off, people are less motivated to contribute </li></ul><ul><li>Staff are not given dedicated time to work on new initiatives </li></ul>
17. Characteristics of effective initiatives
18. They know their users http://docushare.lib.rochester.edu/docushare/dsweb/View/Collection-4436
45. Look for good ideas everywhere! http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenjude/848723658/
46. Encourage staff to learn and play
47. Develop a risk-tolerant culture http://flickr.com/photos/tollaksen/967960/
48. Beware the culture of perfect http://flickr.com/photos/unloveable/2401166750
49. Be agile, don’t get attached http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenjude/848723658/
50. Give staff time to be creative
51. Encourage Network-building
52. Encourage Network-building
53. Are we there yet? http://www.flickr.com/photos/ quirky/3151208015
54. <ul><li>Questions? </li></ul><ul><li>Find me at </li></ul><ul><li>meredith.wolfwater.com/wordpress </li></ul><ul><li>mgfarkas (at) gmail.com </li></ul><ul><li>flickr, twitter: librarianmer </li></ul><ul><li>facebook: meredithfarkas </li></ul>Slides and links at http://meredithfarkas.wetpaint.com http://www.flickr.com/photos/trucolorsfly/2401196653/