1. Can’t Get There From Here Achieving Organization 2.0 <ul><li>Meredith Farkas </li></ul><ul><li>Norwich University </li></ul>
2. How many of you are using 2.0 technologies in your library?
3. How many of you don’t feel like you’re quite getting the ROI you’d hoped for with the 2.0 tools you’re using?
4. So what is library 2.0?
5. Web 1.0: Democratized Access to Information
6. Web 2.0: Democratized Participation
7. Revolutionary or evolutionary? http://www.davidleeking.com/2007/08/24/library-20-ripples-another-go-at-the-graph/
8. What is different now?
9. Technology has enabled us to do so much more
10. but we’re no longer the only game in town.
11. Library 2.0 is a state of mind <ul><li>Working to meet changing user needs </li></ul><ul><li>Trusting our users (radical trust) </li></ul><ul><li>Getting rid of the culture of perfect </li></ul><ul><li>Aware of emerging technologies and opportunities </li></ul><ul><li>Looking outside of the library world for applications, opportunities, inspiration </li></ul>
12. We really need to do these Web 2.0 things all the other libraries are doing
13. I think our library really needs a blog to be relevant to our patrons. Don’t worry, I’ll handle everything.
14. This will be the best library blog ever!
15. So what’s the problem?
20. Why does it fail? <ul><li>Use of social software is not seen as furthering the library’s mission </li></ul><ul><li>Social software is treated as someone’s “pet project” </li></ul><ul><li>Social software is not planned for strategically like other technologies </li></ul><ul><li>Once the newness wears off, people are less motivated to contribute </li></ul><ul><li>Staff are not given time to work on social software </li></ul>
21. Building Organization 2.0
22. Know your users
23. Develop a Learning Culture
24. Question Everything
25. Integrate 2.0 philosophy and tech into library planning
27. Use technology to solve problems
28. Improve communication with our users
31. Highlight our Collections
36. Make our services more visible
38. Improve internal knowledge sharing
40. Develop a Risk-Tolerant Culture
41. Be Agile
42. Good Ideas can Come from Anyone and Anywhere
43. Give Staff Time for Creative Endeavors
44. Nurture Talent
45. Encourage Network-Building
47. Be transparent with staff
48. Be transparent with patrons
50. Involve Staff from All Levels in Planning I can haz your cooperation?
51. Understand Staff Needs and Limitations
52. Plan for the Continued use and Maintenance of Tech
53. How many of you are assessing the impact of your 2.0 technologies?
54. Assess, Assess, Assess!
55. Time Must be Devoted to all This
56. Is your organization (as it is currently structured) able to make all this happen?
57. Thanks! <ul><li>[email_address] </li></ul><ul><li>AIM: librarianmer </li></ul><ul><li>Links and presentation at </li></ul><ul><li>http://meredithfarkas.wetpaint.com </li></ul>
58. Photo Credits <ul><li>Library 2.0 Meme Map http://flickr.com/photos/gbierens/178568449/ by Gerard Bierens </li></ul><ul><li>Digitage Web 2.0 http://flickr.com/photos/oceanflynn/315385916/ by ocean.flynn </li></ul><ul><li>Long Range Plan Discussion http://flickr.com/photos/maubrowncow/2763362494/ by Nebraska Library Commission </li></ul><ul><li>TBLC Annual Meeting http://flickr.com/photos/sylvar/287940515/ by Sylvar </li></ul><ul><li>Amazing PowerPoint Presentation http://flickr.com/photos/maubrowncow/2763362494/ by maubrowncow </li></ul><ul><li>Dewey or don't we? http://flickr.com/photos/scampion/1500054745/ By scampion </li></ul><ul><li>RISK #2 http://flickr.com/photos/tollaksen/967960/ by Bjornar </li></ul><ul><li>IMG_2016.JPG http://flickr.com/photos/stevenjude/848723658/ by stevenjude </li></ul><ul><li>Wait: I’ll fix it. http://flickr.com/photos/stshores24/488419188/ by sshores24 </li></ul><ul><li>Farm Cat Group http://flickr.com/photos/weesmalldoll/432578986/ by weesmalldoll </li></ul><ul><li>The Spongebob Square, Er, Roundpants Juggle http://flickr.com/photos/cayusa/2574029855/ by Cayusa </li></ul><ul><li>Rapid Shuffle http://flickr.com/photos/latitudes/66424863/ by Johnny Blood </li></ul><ul><li>sunny day http://flickr.com/photos/iamthebestartist/2226165685/ by jessamyn </li></ul>