LIBER STRATEGY 2014-2015
LIBER / CAUL meeting. 27 May 2014. Den Haag
European Research Libraries Association (EU and beyond)
What makes us unique?
• Big membership (400 members from more than 40 countries)
• Heterogeneuos membership (unlike ARL, for example)
• (Very) low membership fee: very inclusive association
• Representative of the research libraries in Europe
• Operate in the European level (complex policy making, co-existing with
national libary associations)
WHAT is LIBER?
• Executive Board (12 Library Directors from all over Europe)
• LIBER Office (5 FTE: 2 FTE LIBER activities; 3 FTE EU projects)
• 3 Steering Committees with several working groups
• 2 Fora
• Conference Programme Committee
• LIBER membership
WHO is LIBER?
To provide an information infrastructure to enable research in LIBER
institutions to be world class
To enhance the experience of users in LIBER institutions, which is
enriched by the facilities and services which LIBER can offer
To promote and advocate for European libraries in all European and
national fora where the voice of LIBER needs to be heard
To develop library and information professionals who are innovative
and can offer leadership to LIBER and to the national/international
What’s LIBER mission?
• Represent research library interests in Europe
• Raising research libraries profile
• Influencing European R&D policies and Funding Schemes (H2020)
• Influencing/Supporting European policies (open access, open data,
What are LIBER’s main activities?
• Developing a common vision on the future of research libraries
• Spokesman of research libraries in Europe
• Becoming a reference to our members
• Supporting the development of our members
• Policy guidance (copyright, OA, etc)
• EU projects participation
How do we realise our mission?
LIBER STRATEGY 2013-2015. RE- INVENTING THE
LIBRARY OF THE FUTURE
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS EU projects
LIBER STRATEGY 2013-2015
• Participate in European Projects and promote LIBER members participation
• Horizon 2020: guarantee opportunities for libraries
• EU projects as a means to realise our Strategy (skills, TDM, RDA, RDM)
• Sinergies with our own communication efforts
• Objectives: get LIBER members to participate
• Research libraries participating in innovative projects
12% (51 members)
of our membership
has participated in
a EU project with
PARTNERSHIPS AND ANNUAL CONFERENCE
Library Associations: EIFL, IFLA, EBLIDA
Higher Educations and Research Associations : LERU, Science Europe
Scholarly Communications Associations: COAR, SPARC Europe
Annual Conference: 400 delegates, around 30 peer review presentations.