Spring 2009 - Major Studio 2
MFA Design + Technology
Parsons School of Design
11 February 2009
Visual Time Capsule
Body Language Olfactory
• While senses are nerve impulses that the
brain interprets, experiences are unique
to each individual.
• Device that “hard” documents “primary”
experiences and encodes it into
Sight Sound Temperature Orientation Time
• Any data that helps describe the content
or characteristics of a ﬁle.
• Descriptive information embedded
inside a ﬁle.
• Adobe XMP (Extensible Metadata
Platform) = Cryonics?
MIT Sixth Sense
• Wearable computer that turns any surface
into an interactive display screen
• Harness the internet to create a “digital sixth
• In the tactile world we use our ﬁve senses
to take in information and respond to it.
• A lot of information that helps us
understand and respond to the world
doesn’t come from our senses.
• Click Here
• Wearable Computer
• Photographic memory
• Shared memory
• Enhances quality of life
• Personal safety
• Treasure hunting game played using GPS
• Geocacher can place a geocache (treasure)
anywhere in the world by entering its GPS
• Other geocachers can utilize their own GPS
to locate geocache
• http://geocaching.com is where people
share stories and photos online.
How can metadata be used to create an experience?