NJ TRANSIT + AMTRAK – Initial
Information Architecture : Spring 2009
Katrina Bekessy | Conway Liao | Danny Chang | Amber Krishan
• Focus of study Newark Airport, Newark Penn, New York Penn
Focus of Study
• Population concentration
• Employment - job opportunities, types of careers
• Household Income
• Resources - daily needs, larger problems
Culture & Society
• Attractions - what is offered in the area?
• Leisure - how do people spend their free time?
• Media - what information affects commuter's decisions and experiences?
• Type of commuter
• Income - where is the money? Who's earning it?
• Quality of Life - lifestyle, involvement in community
• Information channels
• Newark & NJ Transit relationship
Newark Vs NewYork - Population density in 2000(people per square mile)
52.214 – 240.725
910.526 – 2,056.584
3,443.878 – 5,327.907
9,344.444 – 223,600.000
Newark Vs NewYork - Employment per 1,000 in 2003
0 - 38
113 - 166
236 - 342
553 – 480,400
According to NJ Transit 2006 Fact at-a-glance .
23% of passengers who use NJ rail system were boarding at NY
Penn Station in average weekday. 8% from Newark Penn Station.
(*We will need the current numbers from NJ transit. We really do.)
Time Table Visualization - 4 Stations
Time Table Visualization - 4 Stations (AM Rush)
Time Table Visualization - 4 Stations (PM Rush)
Information Ecosystem - NJ Transit
Information Ecosystem - Newark
Information Ecosystem - Relationships
NJ Transit Newark
Liberty corridor & THE tunnel
This is a map of overlay Liberty Corridor & The tunnel
construction site for NJ transit. We can see the flow from the
construction of making NY and NJ connected seamlessly.
• Re-asses our current work
• Conduct field study and obtain public records
o Visiting each station
Unlimited transit pass
o Permission to document
o Help accessing records and documents
Inflow vs. Outflow
New development (building permits)
• Visualize future state of Newark, NJ transit and New York
• Analyze the research conducted to determine areas of