1. LESEPRÄSEDIGITAL STRATEGY FOR PLAYGROUND SESSIONS SKILLSHARE ASSIGNMENT„HOW TO BECOME A GREAT DIGITAL STRATEGIST“ BY JULIAN COLE LIANE SIEBENHAAR @L7H #DIGISTRAT
2. 7 STRATEGIC QUESTIONS:#1 Where do we come from?#2 Where do we want to go?#3 Who are we talking to?#4 What do we have to tell them?#5 How do we have to tell them that?#6 Where and when do we have to tell them that?#7 How do we measure our success?
3. 1 WHERE DO WECOME FROM?
4. Whilst the global physical music industry suffers its worst downturn inhistory, the global digital music industry has increased by 104% within thepast 5 years. Its total turnover in 2011 is valued at $5,2 billion. Source: IFPI, Digital Music Report 2012
5. In fact digital is reinventing the whole music industry. With new age starslike Lykke Li. New age platforms like Spotify. New age games like GuitarHero. New age apps like Tabs or new age videos like Allisnotlo.st. Source: New York Times & Mobiledia.com 2012
6. And Playground Sessions perfectly ﬁts into this movement. It is aninteractive piano learning software. A mix of Guitar Hero & Rosetta Stonethat has the potential to revolutionize the way of learning piano forever. Source: Playground Sessions Brief, 2012
7. It’s not only easy, fun and social, but also more affordable. Until nowPlayground Sessions has used self-taught pianist David Sides to promotethe software. The problem: its brand awareness is still considerably low. Source: Playground Sessions Brief, 2012
8. 2 WHERE DO WEWANT TO GO?
9. Now it‘s time to set the second milestone. Our communication priority:create awareness for the game changer. Quantiﬁed: 5,000 new customerswithin 2013, converting from 750,000 website visitors. budget: $200,000 Source: Playground Sessions Brief, 2012, Photo: Mortality
10. 3 WHO ARE WETALKING TO?
11. OUR PRIMARY TARGET GROUP: FIRST TIME TEENS •  Amy, 15, San Francisco. She still goes to school ESTIMATED US MARKET and lives with her parents. The most important POTENTIAL: 5 MIO. thing in her life are her best girlfriends. •  With them she has enormous fun fashion blogging, chatting about boys and shooting music videos. Usually all ends up on Facebook. •  Amy always wanted to play an instrument. If she could play piano she’d play her favorite song Apologize by OneRepublic or sing along. •  She has already searched for tutorials. But self teaching is frustrating & quickly gets boring. If she knew it, PS would be on top of her wish list. Source: Forsa/Statista, Asia Times, Twitter Advanced Search, Google Trends 2012, Photo: Flickr, Badjonni
12. OUR SECONDARY TARGET GROUP: TEEN PARENTS •  Joe & Sandy. They are both in their early 40’s. ESTIMATED US MARKET He works full time as manager in a ﬁnance POTENTIAL: 10 MIO. company. She part time in a home deco store. •  Both went to high school, have a good income, a ﬂat and 2 cars and in their free time they like to spend time with their family and do sports. •  Joe is not so much into music. But Sandy played Piano herself. She thinks that Amy is old enough to decide what she wants to do. •  If Amy asked her for Piano software for $149 she would ﬁrst have to research it, but quickly see the value in it and buy it as a gift. Source: Wikipedia, Average Joe, JVM-Wozi.de 2012, Photo: Flickr, Elmira College
13. THEIR MEDIA USAGE: FIRST TIME TEENS REALLY LIKE USING: TEEN PARENTS ONLINE: 70% vs. 33% TV: 53% vs. 46% GO SHOPPING/OOH: 37% vs. 16% MAGAZINES: 15% vs. 17% RADIO: 9% vs. 22% NEWSPAPER: 5% vs. 21% While their parents are more into traditional media our First Time Teens can be perfectly reached online. 70% really like to use the internet in their free time. With 34% most important to them is to connect with friends online. Source: TNS Digital Life 2010, Verbraucheranalyse 2012 - German data, Photo: Flickr, Elmira College
14. ROLES IN THE PURCHASE PROCESS: TEEN PARENTS Priority at stage of purchase ICATI ON MUNCOM CUS!!! I EVALUATE & BUY FO I WISH & PLAY FIRST TIME TEENS Priority at stage of awareness, consideration and preference Furthermore, First Time Teens really are the ones who decide and wish for the product. Thus, our communication should be focused on them - but having their parents in the back of our minds for the buying moment. Source: Statisticbrain 2012, Photo: Flickr, Badjonni, Elmira College
15. 4 WHAT DO WE HAVE TO TELL THEM?
16. OUR PROPOSITION:BEFORE THE CAMPAIGN: AFTER THE CAMPAIGN: “I wish I could play the piano. If it There is a new interactive software. wasnt just so hard to learn” It makes it easy & fun to learn piano! Source: Photo: Fllickr, Badjonni
17. OUR PROPOSITION:BEFORE THE CAMPAIGN: AFTER THE CAMPAIGN: “I wish I could play the piano. If it There is a new interactive software. wasnt just so hard to learn” It makes it easy & fun to learn piano!OUR PROPOSITION: WITH PLAYGROUND SESSIONS LEARNING THE PIANO IS LIKE A GAME! Source: Photo: Fllickr, Badjonni
18. OUR PROPOSITION:BEFORE THE CAMPAIGN: AFTER THE CAMPAIGN: “I wish I could play the piano. If it There is a new interactive software. wasnt just so hard to learn” It makes it easy & fun to learn piano!OUR PROPOSITION: WITH PLAYGROUND SESSIONS LEARNING THE PIANO IS LIKE A GAME!REASON FOR INTERESTS: REASON TO BELIEVES: •  It enables our target group to fulﬁl their dream: to •  PS gamiﬁes the learning process via points and a be able to play their favorite songs on the piano. community competition which is a lot of fun. •  It gives the perfect answer to our target groups wish •  PS offers interactive lessons & bootcamp tutorials of a way to learn the piano with ease & fun. for Rookies that make it easy to learn. •  It is a completely new concept that learning can be •  PS is supported by David Sides, a famous self- easy, fast and fun - just like a game. taught pianist who knows whats good or not. Source: Photo: Fllickr, Badjonni
19. 5 HOW DO WE HAVETO TELL THEM THAT?
20. There are lots of comparable products. From online platforms to prosoftware. But most look unprofessional, cluttered, sterile & not like muchfun. Furthermore, the majority use SEO only to get onto the shopping list.
21. We can use their lack of marketing power to proﬁle Playground Sessions asthe perception leader of the whole category. Therefore our communicationhas to be as attention catching and as much fun as our product itself. Source: Photo: Flickr, Navid J
22. CURTAINS UP FOR THE BIG IDEA.
23. Where can we ﬁnd our target group right before X-Mas? In shopping centres.So why not go where our target group is and set up a Playground Sessionspiano. But its not just any piano - it’s a Piano Gamestation. Source: Photo: Flickr, Liamfm, Elbfoto
24. THE IDEA: PIANO GAMESTATIONWHAT IF... …We had a high-tech …Suddenly someone, …The new pianists could Piano that could e.g. Santa joined playing share the ﬁlmed concert navigate a videogame to help with the game via FB or E- card & got on a huge screen with and it all sounded like a more info on PS. And selected keys, e.g. with a Piano concert. Also others could do the Piano triad. audience would appear. same on the PS website. PIANO GAMESTATION: FILMED “X-MAS X-MAS E-CARDS: PLAY & WIN THE GAME SURPRISE CONCERT” SHARE & SPREAD “Just Played Piano with Santa” Gallery & E-card-Generator
25. 6 WHERE & WHEN DOWE HAVE TO TELL THEM THAT?
26. LEARNING THE PIANO IS LIKE A GAME!COMMUNICATIONS FRAMEWORK 1.CURRENT CONSUMER BEHAVIOUR DESIRED RESPONSEFIRST TIME TEENS DON’TKNOW ABOUT PS PS GETS #1 IN THEIR WISHLIST FACEBOOK EMAIL BLOGS YOUTUBE CHANNEL SHOW MOM AT POS WEBSITE SEARCH WOM YOUTUBE FACEBOOK PAGE EMAIL NEWS AWARENESS FOR PS RESEARCH & DESIRE FOR PS CONVINCE MOM TO BUY PSCREATIVE GO TO PIANO GAMESTATION CHECK OUT PIANO GAMESTATION SEND A PIANO GAMESTATION EVENT TO WIN CONCERT TICKETS. VIDEO GALLERY ON WEBSITE . WISH E-CARD TO PARENTS . •  STREET POSTERS •  PIANO GAMESTATION WEB GALLERY •  CRM •  TARGETED LOCAL FACEBOOK ADS •  PROMOTED YT VIDEOS & BANNERS •  WEBSITE •  BANNER •  FACEBOOK ADS & SPONSORED POSTS •  POSMEDIA •  PR ONLINE & OFFLINE •  PR ONLINE & OFFLINE •  WEBSITE/FB PAGE ANNOUNCEMENT •  OWNED SOCIAL •  SHOPPING CENTRE – POS •  SEARCH •  COMPUTER TERMINAL AT POS •  POSTCARDS
27. PS DIGITAL ECOSYSTEM. AWARENESS FOR PS DRIVE TO EVENT (2 WEEKS) SHARE EXPERIENCE STREET POSTERS (DEC 6TH-12TH ) “PLAY PIANO GAMESTATION TO WIN CONCERT TICKETS” SHARE EXPERIENCE RIGHT AT SHOPPING CENTRE TARGETED LOCAL FACEBOOK ADS SEND “PIANO GAMESTATION” VIDEO VIA “PLAY PIANO GAMESTATION TO WIN PIANO GAMESTATION COMPUTER TERMINAL TO FRIENDS. CONCERT TICKETS” FILMED EVENT BANNER ADS (DECEMBER 6TH) TWITTER HASHTAG “PLAY PIANO GAMESTATION TO OFFER A HASHTAG FOR PASSERSBY, WHEN WIN CONCERT TICKETS” PIANO GAMESTATION STAYS FOR A THEY POST PICS #PIANOGAMESTATION WEEK. AFTER EVENT DAY YOU CAN PR ONLINE & OFFLINE PLAY AND SEND OUT E-CARDS FROM A POSTCARDS “PLAY PIANO GAMESTATION TO WIN COMPUTER TERMINAL. TAKE A POSTCARD TO REMEMBER THE CONCERT TICKETS” WEBSITE & VIDEO LOCATION FOR LATER: WEBSITE & FACBOOK PAGEANNOUNCEMENT: “PLAY PIANO GAME- STATION TO WIN CONCERT TICKETS”
28. PS DIGITAL ECOSYSTEM. RESEARCH & DESIRE FOR PS PIANO GAMESTATION GALLERY SEARCH “WATCH PIANO GAMESTATION BY “PIANO SOFTWARE, MUSIC GAME, PS, WHERE SHALL WE GO NEXT?” PIANO TUTORIAL” PS WEBSITE (DEC 6TH +ONGOING) WATCH THE VIDEO GALLERY ON SITE PROMOTED YT VIDEOS/BANNERS OWNED SOCIAL AND ENJOY PIANO GAMESTATION “WATCH PIANO GAMESTATION BY PS, “WATCH PIANO GAMESTATION BY PS, SEND A X-MAS E-CARD FROM SITE WHERE SHALL WE GO NEXT?” WHERE SHALL WE GO NEXT?” TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY RESEARCH PRODUCT INFORMATION ON THE WEBSITE AND SEE EXAMPLESFACEBOOK ADS/SPONSORED POSTS PR ONLINE & OFFLINE “WATCH PIANO GAMESTATION BY PS, “WATCH PIANO GAMESTATION BY WHERE SHALL WE GO NEXT?” PS, WHERE SHALL IT GO NEXT?”
29. PS DIGITAL ECOSYSTEM. CONVINCE MOM TO BUY IT PS WEBSITE (DEC 6TH +ONGOING) SEND A WISH E-CARD TO PARENTS FOR THE SHOPPING LIST DO A TRIAL WITH THE SOFTWARE FROM PS SHOW POS LOCATIONS TO GO AND CHECK THE PRODUCT OUT
30. PLAYGROUNDSESSIONS IS WORTH BUYING FOR MY CHILD.COMMUNICATIONS FRAMEWORK 2.CURRENT CONSUMER BEHAVIOUR DESIRED RESPONSETEEN PARENTS WHO WANT TO BUY A PRESENT PS GETS #1 ON THEIR SHOPPING LIST POS PS WEBSITE EMAIL SEARCH WEBSITE TRIAL WOM NEWS FACEBOOK EMAIL AWARENESS FOR PS EVALUATION OF PS BUYING PS FOR THEIR CHILDCREATIVE WATCH “PIANO GAMESTATION” HAVE A LOOK AT PIANO GAMESTATION GET THE TRIAL, GET CONVINCED VIDEO - PLAY TO LEARN PIANO. VIDEO GALLERY ON WEBSITE AND THAT PS IS THE PERFECT GIFT AND ISN’T IT A GREAT GIFT FOR X-MAS?!” RESEARCH THE PRODUCT THERE. VALUE FOR MONEY AT POS. •  BANNER •  WEBSITE •  WEBSITE •  PR ONLINE & OFFLINE •  POS •  EMAIL •  CRMMEDIA •  SEARCH •  OWNED MEDIA/SOCIAL
31. PS DIGITAL ECOSYSTEM. AWARENESS FOR PS E-WISHCARD FROM CHILD “WATCH PIANO GAMESTATION BY PS, CAN I GET IT AS A GIFT?” NEWSPAPER ONLINE AND OFFLINE“PIANO GAMESTATION – PLAY TO LEARN. ISN’T IT A GREAT GIFT FOR X-MAS?!” BANNER NYT PS WEBSITE “PLAY TO LEARN PIANO. ISN’T IT A GREAT GIFT FOR X-MAS?!” WATCH THE VIDEO GALLERY AND SEND AN E-CARD TO OTHER SEARCH PARENTS.“PLAY TO LEARN PIANO. ISN’T IT A GREAT GIFT FOR X-MAS?!” OWNED MEDIA SOCIAL PIANO GAMESTATION GETS POSTED ON FACEBOOK. POS PIANO GAMESTATION VIDEO AS AN ATTENTION CATCHER AT POS
32. PS DIGITAL ECOSYSTEM. EVALUATION OF PS PS WEBSITE DIG DEEPER INTO PRODUCT INFORMATION PART OF PLAYGROUND SESSIONS.
33. PS DIGITAL ECOSYSTEM. BUYING PS FOR CHILD PS WEBSITE GET A TRIAL GET AN EMAIL AFTER TRIAL GET INFO WHERE POS WITH KEYBOARD BUNDLE IS
34. OVERVIEW YEARLY ACTIVITY. NOV DEC JAN FEB MAR APR MAY JUN JUL AUG SEP OCT PIANO PIANO GAME- PIANO GAME- GAMESTATION STATION STATION EVENT #1 EVENT #2 EVENT #3 MEDIA TO DRIVE TO WEBSITE GALLERY AND GENERATE TRIALS BUDGET: 200.000•  PIANO GAMESTATION EVENTS: 100.000$•  POSTERS & POSTCARDS: 5.000$•  SEEDING: 10.000$•  PR BLOGGER OUTREACH: 5.000$•  BANNER: 20.000$•  FACEBOOK ADS & SPONSORED STORIES: 20.000$•  PROMOTED YT VIDEOS & BANNERS: 20.000$•  SEARCH: 20.000$
35. 7 HOW DO WEMEASURE OUR SUCCESS?
36. SUGGESTED MEASUREMENT: NOV 2012: T0 NOV 2013: T1AWARENSS •  GOOGLE SEARCH VOLUME •  GOOGLE SEARCH VOLUME •  WEBSITE TRAFFIC •  WEBSITE TRAFFIC •  YOUTUBE VIEWS •  YOUTUBE VIEWS •  TWITTER FOLLOWERS •  TWITTER FOLLOWERS •  FACEBOOK LIKES & SHARES •  FACEBOOK LIKES & SHARESTO •  COMMUNICATION SURVEY •  COMMUNICATION SURVEY •  SOCIAL SENTIMENT •  SOCIAL SENTIMENT •  CONVERSION RATE •  CONVERSION RATEACTION •  NUMBER OF TRIALS •  NUMBER OF TRIALS •  MONTHLY SALES •  MONTHLY SALES
37. EXPECTED KPI‘S UNTIL NOV 2013: AWARENESS CONSIDERATION PREFERENCE PURCHASE RETENTION Search Volume 750,000 qualiﬁed 10% Preference for 15,000 trials +100% of FB Page LikesIncrease > at Launch visitors to site PS among TG 5 Uploaded YT Covers 5,000 new customers #playgroundsessions Facebook likes and Image as “Inventor of 62.500,000 the Category” Impressions from video shares Banners & FB Ads. 5.000,000 YouTube Views. *CTR of 0.08%, CPC at 1,20$ and budget of 60K