Environmental pollution.The ongoing development of the economy and thepopulation did increase pollution of land, water, airand environment.
Causes of air pollution.-Air pollution is caused by a wide variety of things. The earth is great at cleaning the air on its own. However, air pollution has grown so much, the earth can no longer clean all of it. This is starting to have adverse effects on the environment such as causing acid rain, smog and a wide variety of health problems.-Cars, trucks, jet airplanes and other combustion engine vehicles cause air pollution. The exhaust from these contains carbon monoxide, nitrous oxide and gaseous oxide. This type of air pollution creates smog (as seen in Los Angeles) which causes respiratory health problems and holes in the ozone layer, which increases the exposure to the suns harmful rays.-Factories, office buildings, homes and power-generating stations burn fossil fuels, which cause air pollution. The burning of oil and coal (fossil fuels) also contributes to smog. This air pollution destroys plants, damages buildings and creates oxidation on iron.-Petroleum refineries release hydrocarbons and various particulates that pollute the air.
As in the cities and also in rural areas, pollution levels are increasing , likely to get the higher respirator y diseases
• Cars, trucks, jet airplanes and other combustion engine vehicles cause air pollution.
4. Radiation Pollution: The WIPP Site• Generally, one thinks in terms of a nuclear war when considering pollution that involves radiation. There are many other sources of radiation pollution. New Mexicans in 1988, for example, have been expressing concern over the WIPP Site that will be used to store low-level nuclear waste. Radioactive waste is especially troublesome because some of it has to be secured for up to 250,000 years. This period of time represents about one fourth of the entire time that humans have been considered as a separate species Eitzen (1986:99).• Radioactive waste includes:• used nuclear cores• uranium tailings• waste generated by hospitals, universities, and industrial plants.
• Solid Waste Pollution• As a result of waste dumped in the Atlantic Ocean, "Swimming in the Atlantic Ocean (on the North-East coast of the U.S.) is like swimming in an unflushed toilet" (CNN report, 7-30- 88). Also See (Eitzen, 2000:83-84) for more on the subject of solid waste pollution.
- PesticidesPesticides used to kill indoor and outdoor pests, insecticides used to kill insects and herbicides use to kill weeds all cause air pollution.- Fertilizer DustDust from fertilizers used to help plants grow causes air pollution.
Water Pollution1. industries (which pour a variety of nasty substances into lakes, streams and the ocean)
• 2.Cities dispose of their waste in rivers (that often serves as drinking water).• 3.There are also oil and other chemical spills.
• 4. Cities dispose of their waste in rivers (that often serves as drinking water).