1. PYTHAGORASLearn all about this amazing mathematician!! By Kyla G.
2. HIS CHILDHOOD He was born in 570 B.C. He is the son of Mnesarchos. His mom is Pythais. He is known to have two or three brothers. Pythagoras lived on the island of Samos, the western coast of what is now Turkey. He was smart as a kid. He learned to play the lyre (a Greek string instrument. Top right), do pottery, and recite to Homer(Wrote poems and read them to others). Pythagoras had a birthmark on his thigh. People said he had a golden thigh!! In school there were three people that really influenced Pythagoras. His teachers Pherekdes and Thales, but also Thales student named Anaximander. He traveled many places like Egypt as a young man to get a better education. Thales had suggested that he should go to Egypt to gain knowledge. It is said that Pythagoras gained most of his knowledge in Egypt.
3. ADULTHOOD The Persians invaded Egypt while Pythagoras was there. Pythagoras was taken prisoner and sent to Babylon (which is now Iraq). About 10 years later he was freed. He left Babylon and went back to Samos. He founded a school there called the Semicircle. The leaders of Samos did not like Pythagoras teachings, so he left. The Pythagoreans lived simply, they dressed simply and ate on a strict diet. Pythagoras married a woman named Teano, who attended the Pythagorean school he founded. Pythagoras had five children Myia or Mryia, Damo, and Arignote, were his daughters. His sons were Arimnestes, and Telauges. Some of Pythagoras’ famous sayings are “Silence is better than unmeaning words.”-Pythagoras and “above a cloud with a shadow is a star with its light. Above all things reverence thyself.” - Pythagoras
4. PYTHAGOREAN SCHOOL Pythagoras tried to found a school in Samos but couldn’t, and instead founded a school in Crotona Italy. The Pythagorean school was founded around 530 B.C. The Pythagorean school was scientific, but also very religious. Pythagoras taught in this school. Here is the schools hectic schedule. Morning: meditation, planned out their schedule for the next day, ate breakfast, exercise, and study. Afternoon: ate lunch, they wrote and got letters from family members, and went for a walk. Night: ate supper, read, and then meditated. Pythagoras taught that the Earth was a sphere in the center of the universe. Pythagoras also noticed that the orbit of the moon is inclined with the Earth’s equator.
5. THE PYTHAGORAS THEOREM The Pythagoras theorem is a2+ b2=c2. This theory applies only to right triangles. A right triangle must have a 90 degree angle. The longest side called the a hypotenuse, is always across from the 90 degree angle. This theory was not first discovered by Pythagoras, though. It was first discovered by indian mathematicians. Pythagoras proved this theory and popularized it. Pythagoras also believed that after a person dies their soul is placed in a new body. They believed that you might have a body of an animal!
6. FUN FACT ABOUT PYTHAGORASPythagoras was a vegetarian! Because of his religion he did not eat meat!!
7. PYTHAGORAS DIED AROUND 495 B.C.
8. THE END!!I hope you liked my PowerPoint on Pythagoras !!