VERTICAL TUTOR GROUP QUIZ
1. What is the first line of the
Hogwarts’ School Song?
Hogwarts, Hogwarts, hoggy warty Hogwarts.
2. Hilary Mantel’s books, Wolf Hall and Bring Up
the Bodies, were dramatised this season at The
Swan Theatre. Who is the central character in both
3. What do the crew hang around the
neck of the Ancient Mariner in the
poem The Rime of the Ancient
Mariner? The body of the dead albatross
4. ‘Once upon a time and a very good time it was there
was a moocow coming down along the road and this
moocow that was coming down along the road met a
nicens little boy named baby tuckoo.’
This is the opening line of which book?
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
5. This author has written three books in the last
few years that begin with the same two letters –
who is he?
Monsters of Men
A Monster Calls
More Than This by Patrick Ness
6. Yassen Gregorovich completed his
Scorpio training on which island?
Malagosto in Venice
7. What insulting name do ‘Crosses’
use to describe ‘Noughts’ in Malorie
Blackman’s book? Blankers
8. Which literary character’s first word
to whom are ‘How are you?’ You have
been in Afghanistan, I perceive.’?
(Name BOTH characters) Sherlock
Holmes to Doctor John Watson
9. On what date did our
new, temporary library open?
Tuesday 15 January 2013
10. What is the first line of Virgil’s
Aeneid? (In English or in Latin)
Arma virumque cano …
I sing of warfare and a man at war …
Of men and weapons, I sing …
Arms, and the man I sing, who forced by fate …
Any of the above
11. Name the playwright who took
some of these words as the title of
one of his plays.
George Bernard Shaw ‘Arms and the
12. Anne Frank, Jeff Kinney, Sue
Townsend, George and Weedon
Grossmith and Alexie Sherman have all
written books with the same word in the
title. What is that word? Diary
13. Robert Muchamore, Michael
Morpurgo, Mark Walden, Bernard
Cornwell and Paul Brickhill have all written
books with the same word in the title.
What is that word? Escape
14. Sally Gardner, Alan
Garner, Stephenie Meyer, M.G.
Harris and John Meade Falkner have
all written books with the same word
in the title. What is that word? Moon
15. According to The Hitchhiker’s
Guide to the Galaxy, what is the
Earth? A giant supercomputer
16. A famous line from Macbeth is the
title of a book by Ray Bradbury? What
is it? Something Wicked This Way Comes
The Witches from a 1983 production. Available at:
(Accessed: 2 March 2014)
17. Name the books (not just the series) in
which these characters appear:
Bertha Mason (this character appears in
two books by different authors. There will
be a mark for each one.) Jane Eyre by
Charlotte Bronte and Wide Sargasso Sea by
Vladimir Obidin The Fall by Robert Muchamore
Cassandra Mortmain I Capture the Castle by Dodie
What are the TITLES of these books?
(Please put the full title and not just the series)
18. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil