Forestry: FAQs


Published on

  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Total views
On SlideShare
From Embeds
Number of Embeds
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Forestry: FAQs

  1. 1. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS Category: Advising and Student Responsibilities 1.) What is my class standing? Am I a freshman, sophomore, junior or senior? Class standing is based on number of total credit hours earned to date. To see how many credit hours you have earned, log onto Student Online Services and view your unofficial transcript. Total Credits Class 1–44 First-year 45–89 Sophomore 90–134 Junior 135+ Senior 2.) When can I register for OSU classes? Students register for classes based on the number of total credit hours they have earned at the time of registration. Those with more credit hours (seniors) will register first, followed by juniors, sophomores and first-year students. To find out your specific registration day and time, sign in to OSU Student Online Services and then select “Registration” then “Check Your Registration Status.” 3.) What is a PIN and why do I need one? PIN stands for Personal Identification Number. Your PIN will allow you to access the registration system to register for classes once your registration time has begun. (See “When can I register?” for more information on finding out your registration status). You must see your advisor for a new PIN each term. A PIN from a previous term will NOT allow you to register for future terms. 4.) What is the difference between my SID, GAP and PIN? SID stands for Student Identification Number. This number will appear on your student ID card and will allow you to access your student online services account. This number will remain unchanged throughout your time at OSU. A GAP (General Access PIN) is a 6-digit access number initially assigned to each student by the Registrar’s Office. Your initial GAP is your birth date (month, day, year). For example, if your birth date is April 3, 1988, your GAP will be 040388. The GAP is your Personal Identification Number used to access student information available through BANNER and the World Wide Web. Your initial birth date GAP will expire upon your first entry into the information systems. You must then choose a new GAP, other than your birth date. PIN stands for Personal Identification Number. Your PIN will allow you to access the registration system to register for classes once your registration time has begun. (See “When can I register?” for more information on finding out your registration status). You must see your advisor for a new PIN each term. A PIN from a previous term will NOT allow you to register for future terms. 5.) I’m trying to register but I keep getting an error message. What’s going on? You could be having this problem for a number of different reasons. • Before registering for a class, you must meet any course prerequisites and restrictions. Restrictions may include college, major, minor, or class standing (level) restrictions. Check to make sure you are actually eligible to take the course for which you are trying to register.
  2. 2. • It is possible that the computer system will not recognize a prerequisite in which you are currently enrolled. If this is the case, you should see your advisor or the department offering the course to obtain an override. • It is possible that the registration system will not recognize • Some courses are “linked”, which means in addition to the lecture, you must also register for a lab and/or recitation section. Failure to click the boxes for all required course components will prevent you from registering for the class. 6.) I have a hold on my account. How do I get rid of it? When you attempt to register, the registration system will inform you of any registration holds that you have. Students with registration holds are not permitted to register until holds are cleared. The registration system will refer you to the appropriate departments and offices to contact to remove the holds. 7.) What is ONID and why do I need to use it? ONID is the student email system that all OSU students must activate and use when communicating with OSU advisors or departments. College of Forestry advisors will only respond to emails of current students sent from an ONID account. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974 requires that OSU staff, faculty, and departments only communicate student information via their ONID email account. The Student Services Office frequently sends notices of upcoming job interviews, job announcements, scholarship announcements, and other news items of interest to forestry students. These are most often sent in the Fernhopper News, an electronic newsletter sent via e-mail to all College of Forestry students. Additionally, important university information including your monthly billing statement will be sent to your ONID account. Students who do not check their ONID account on a regular basis will miss out on important opportunities and requirements. Students are responsible for the information that is sent to their ONID account even if they choose not to read the email. 8.) What is Fernhopper and why is it so important? Fernhopper is the electronic newsletter sent to all College of Forestry undergraduate students each week of the academic year. Important events, deadlines, new job postings and other important information is contained in the newsletter that will be sent to your ONID email account. You are responsible for the information that is contained in this newsletter even if you choose not to read the newsletter. 9.) Can I take classes at community college and have them count towards my OSU degree? Yes! Dual enrollment with Linn-Benton Community College or another Oregon community college is encouraged. Many of your Baccalaureate Core courses can be taken at community college. For a list of course equivalencies for all of the Oregon community colleges, click the following link: You should always check with your advisor prior to taking a class off-campus to ensure its transferability into your degree program. COF scholarship recipients must be enrolled in at 12 credits per term, 6 of which must be at OSU. If you are a scholarship recipient wishing to take courses at community college, please provide a course registration summary to Kira Hughes, Scholarship Coordinator, in 140 Peavy Hall, to guarantee continued disbursement of your scholarship funds.
  3. 3. 10.) I have been placed on academic warning or probation. How did this happen and what do I do now? Please refer to Academic Regulation 22 for information on academic warning, probation and suspension. AR 22. Satisfactory Academic Standing Oregon State University expects students to maintain satisfactory academic progress toward degree completion. At the conclusion of each term, grade point averages are calculated and academic standings determined for students seeking a baccalaureate degree according to the criteria outlined below. Students whose standings evidence a lack of satisfactory progress will be warned of this condition and advised to seek help from their academic advisors. a. Academic Warning: Students with a term GPA below 2.0 will be placed on Academic Warning. b. Academic Probation: Students who have completed two or more terms at OSU and have an OSU cumulative GPA below 2.0 will be placed on Academic Probation. Students who attain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better are removed from Academic Probation. c. Academic Suspension: Students who are on Academic Probation and have a subsequent term GPA below 2.0 will be placed on Academic Suspension. Academic Suspension is recorded on the student’s academic record. Students who are academically suspended are denied all the privileges of the institution and of all organizations in any way connected to it, including any university- recognized living group. d. Reinstatement to the University: Suspended students will be considered for reinstatement to the university after two years or completion of a minimum of 24 quarter credits of transferable college-level work at an accredited college or university, with a GPA of 2.5 or above. 11.) When do I apply for graduation? Students should consult with their advisor to check progress toward graduation requirements. Progress will be based on the formally declared major, minors, options, degree, and other applicable requirements. College of Forestry students need to apply at least three terms prior to their intended term of graduation. For example, for a student graduating June 2011, they need to apply by the end of the second week of Fall term 2010. To apply for graduation, log-in to Student On-line Services, select “Records”, then select “Apply for Graduation”. Complete the process. If you are a Forest Engineering – Civil Engineering double degree student and have been admitted into the professional program in the College of Engineering, then you will need to apply twice – once for each degree. First apply for your Civil Engineering degree, log-out of the system, wait a few minutes and then apply for your Forest Engineering degree. Degrees are granted at the end of each quarter, and students are encouraged to attend the June commencement exercises. 12.) How do I document my work experience and who is required to complete work experience? All College of Forestry students except Natural Resources majors need to complete 6-months of approved work experience as part of their degree requirements. To document your 6 months of required work experience, please fill out a pink half-sheet Work Experience Information form, which can be found in the Student Services Office, 140 Peavy Hall, or by clicking the following link: If you worked for more than one employer to fulfill your work requirement, you must complete one form for each separate employer. You should complete the work experience form(s) at least three months
  4. 4. prior to your expected graduation date to allow for employer evaluations and updating of your student file. Failure to document required work experience in a timely manner may delay your graduation. 13.) How can I arrange to talk to Clay Torset, Head Advisor? Students may sign up for an appointment with Clay Torset by calling the COF Student Services Office at (541) 737-1594 or by coming in to 140 Peavy Hall. Students may see Clay without an appointment by attending his drop-in hours on Wednesday and Thursdays from 3:00-5:00 pm, also in 140 Peavy Hall. 14.) How and when do I sign up for an appointment with my advisor? Each Advisor handles appointments differently, although many will post a sign-up sheet on their door for pre-registration advising appointments (to get your PIN). Many will also send out an email to your ONID account to inform you of how to schedule an appointment. If in doubt, you should call or email your advisor prior to your registration day and time. Keep in mind that your advisor may not be able to schedule an immediate appointment for you; it is best to contact them at least a week in advance of when you hope to meet. Please see the table below for advisor contact information. Major Advisor E-mail Office Forest Engineering Jim Kiser Peavy 204 FE/CE Marv Pyles Peavy 269 Forest Management Kama Luukinen Peavy 140 Forest Operations Mngt John Sessions Peavy 223 Recreation Resource Kama Luukinen Peavy 209 Mngt Natural Resources Connie Patterson Peavy 211 NR Bend Ron Reuter Cascades 212 NR-Distance Marge Victor 213 Peavy Wood Science & Engr Charles Brunner Rich 116 Wood Science & Engr David Smith Rich 236 Tourism and Outdoor Kreg Lindberg Leadership 15.) I’m trying to register but the system won’t let me take more than 16 credit hours. Why? Priority registration takes place in two phases and is based on a student’s credits (earned plus in- progress). During Phase 1, students can register for a maximum of 16 credits. During Phase 2, students can register for a maximum of 19 credits and can wait list up to three courses. If a student wishes to take more than 19 credit hours, he or she may do so by filing with the Registrar a petition approved by his or her advisor and the COF Head Advisor, Clay Torset. 16.) I’m trying to register but the class I need is closed. What should I do? In Phase 2, wait listing will be in effect – but only for certain sections selected by the departments. Look at the online Schedule of Classes. You will see that some sections have wait listing numbers listed just between the enrollment numbers and the section title.
  5. 5. When you try registering for a closed class, you now can add your name to an automated wait list. (Note: Not every section has wait listing.) 1. Type the CRN into the registration worksheet and click Submit. 2. Then, click Submit again to add yourself to the wait list. At night, the wait list process will review course availability and will add people from the wait list to courses that have space available. The process will check for registration errors. If you have a registration error, the next person on the wait list will be registered before you. If the process adds you to a class or if you have a registration error, it will send you an e-mail at your ONID address. You will not be registered in the section if a registration error exists. If you no longer want the class, it is your responsibility to drop it! Wait listing continues until midnight Sunday of the second week of the term. The wait list will then be frozen. If you are on the wait list at this time you are not registered in the course. You do not need to drop or withdraw yourself from the wait list at this time. Please see the following link for a video tutorial on wait listing: WaitlistTutorial3expnd.html 17.) When is the deadline to… The Academic Calendar is found in the Registration Information Handbook as well as on the Registrar’s Office web site. These deadlines are enforced. Add a class? Classes may be added up through Friday of the 1st week of classes via the web registration system if space is available. During the 2nd week of classes the instructor signature is required. The 2nd Week Add form is available from the College Student Services Office. You must add the course using the CRN# after the 2nd Week Add form is processed by the department offering the course you wish to add. Many instructors will not allow 2nd Week Adds even if space is available in the course. Drop a class? A course may be dropped during the first two weeks of each term. This is web-based process via online student students that will end at 11:59 p.m. on Friday of the 2nd week. No signature or advisor approval is required for this action but consultation with your advisor is suggested. Withdraw from a class? You way withdraw from a course up through the 11:59 pm on Friday of the 7th week of classes. This is via the web-based registration. A “W” will appear on your transcript for all courses that you withdraw from. Consultation with your advisor is strongly recommended prior to withdrawing from a course but is not required. Withdraw from the university? Student may withdraw from OSU prior to 5:00 pm on Friday of the 10th week of classes (end of Dead Week). This is a form-based process that requires the signature of the College Head Advisor. The form is available at the Registrar’s Office. Change to S/U grading? Students may change grading basis up through 5:00 p.m. on Friday of the 7th week of classes. Students must receive their academic advisors signature for the form to be processed by the Registrar’s Office. Students should consult with their academic advisor by scheduling an appointment in advance of the deadline.
  6. 6. 18.) How will I be billed and/ or pay my account balance? OSU provides eBill statements electronically through eBill. OSU does not send out paper copies of statements. Your Fall Term charges will appear on your October eBill statement which will be processed around October 5th. Payment will be due by November 1st to avoid interest charges. Please see our Billing and Payment Information page for more details on statement dates and due dates. You will be notified that your statement is ready to view via an email to your ONID email address. If you have not yet signed up for ONID you may do so at The eBill system can be accessed at You can share your billing information with another person such as a parent by setting them up as an authorized user in eBill. Authorized users receive email notification when your statements are available and have the option of paying on line through eCheck as well. Authorized users can only view and pay ebills through eBill, grades cannot be viewed through this system. To set up an authorized user log on to eBill at 19.) How do I add a minor or option? You should meet with your advisor if you are planning to add a minor or an option to your existing program. They will assist you with filling out the “Change of Academic Program” form. After this form is completed, it must be signed by the Head Advisor in the College or Department offering the minor or option. 20.) How do I change my major? The Change of Undergraduate Academic Program (pink in color) form is available from the College Student Services Office. If you are changing your major within the College of Forestry, please complete the form, leave it with the Student Services staff. It will be signed by the Head Advisor and sent to the Registrar’s Office. If you are transferring out of the College of Forestry, you will need to take the form to the Student Services Office of the College you wish to enter. Some Colleges on the OSU campus have minimum GPA requirements or mandatory orientation sessions that must be completed prior to acceptance by that College. 21.) Some of my transfer coursework was not accepted by OSU or was accepted as LDT/ UDT credit. What does this mean and how do I go about petitioning to have coursework accepted? If you feel the coursework you completed should count towards your core forestry curriculum, you should meet with your Academic Advisor to discuss the process for petitioning for a course substitution. This may require you to seek the approval of the faculty member offering the course you wish to replace. If you feel the coursework you completed should fulfill a Baccalaureate Core requirement, you must fill out a Petition for Baccalaureate Core Substitution. Petitions for Baccalaureate Core substitutions are reviewed by the department offering the most similar course on the OSU campus. This review can take several weeks so it's wise to start the process as soon as possible. Students should review the following web link, which provides information as to course content for classes that may fulfill Baccalaureate Core Requirements.
  7. 7. For each Baccalaureate Core area there is a Word document download (see web link). All of the questions would need to be addressed if you were to petition a transfer course for review. 22.) I disagree with a grade I have earned in a class. Can I request a grade replacement? If you believe you have been given a grade in error or if you disagree with a grade, you should contact the instructor of the course to discuss the matter. This should be done as soon as possible after the grade has been recorded. An instructor may move to correct a grade by filing a Change of Grade Card in the Registrar’s Office. 23.) I would like to issue a complaint about a class, professor, advisor, other individual. What is the process I should go through? Please see the following webpage to learn about the grievance and appeals process at OSU: 24.) How do I know what classes I can take to fulfill my Baccalaureate Core requirements? The list of OSU courses that will fulfill the Baccalaureate Core requirements can be found at the following site: For courses taken at another college or university, please refer to the above question, “Can I take classes at community college and have them count towards my OSU degree?” 25.) I need a job. Do you know of anything? Seasonal, part-time and full time job announcements are posted on the COF jobs webpage (see link below) and in the Fernhopper newsletter. The Fernhopper newsletter will be sent as an electronic attachment to your ONID email account once a week. 26.) How do I get involved/ meet people in the COF? As a student in the College of Forestry, you will have many opportunities to be involved in extracurricular activities. Student clubs include the SAF- Student Chapter, the Forestry Club, the Recreation Resource Management Club, the Forest Products Society, Xi Sigma Pi, and the Natural Resources Club, among others. Please see the following web page for information on the College of Forestry Clubs and Activities. 27.) How and when do I apply for College of Forestry Scholarships? The College of Forestry awards more than $400,000 in undergraduate scholarships annually. To be considered for scholarship new and returning students must apply before February 1 of each year. College of Forestry scholarship applications are available beginning in mid-November on the Student Services web page at Scroll down for the on-line application link. Application access terminates at 11:59 p.m. on February 1 each year. 28.) Why do I need to go see my advisor? Advisors help students plan out their college career and stay on track with required courses. To ensure students are taking appropriate courses to meet their goals, College of Forestry students meet with their
  8. 8. advisors each term to plan for upcoming terms and to receive their registration pin number (PIN) which allows them to register for classes. Category: Resources in Peavy and General COF Info • What is the Self-Learning Center (SLC)? (Peavy 252) The SLC is a room available for students to study, use computers, view instructional material on VHS or DVD, and check out assigned or reserved readings for courses. • What’s “the ramp or loading dock?” “The ramp” or the “Loading Dock” is the sloped area on the south side of Peavy Hall. Classes will often meet “on the ramp” when leaving on field trips. • What is a Fernhopper? Fernhopper is the name given to College of Forestry students and faculty. Historically Pacific Northwest loggers and foresters were known as Fernhoppers, and the name has continued on in tradition here at OSU. • What is the Fernhopper Newsletter? Fernhopper is the electronic newsletter sent to all College of Forestry undergraduate students each week of the academic year. Important events, deadlines, new job postings, and other important information are contained in the newsletter that will be sent to your ONID email account. You are responsible for the information that is contained in this newsletter even if you choose not to read the newsletter. • Where’s the disabled access into Peavy Hall? A ramp is located on the north side of Peavy Hall parallel to Jefferson Street. Elevators are available in both Peavy and Richardson Halls and are marked with an “E” on the accompanying maps. • What is the instrument room? (Peavy 002) The instrument room, located in the basement of Peavy Hall, is where students check out equipment field labs and classes. Equipment available for checkout includes hard hats, diameter tapes, compasses and clinometers. A full list of available equipment is posted outside the instrument room. • What is the Computer Helpdesk? (Peavy 222) The Computer Helpdesk ensures computers and equipment are working correctly. Questions about the network, printing, computer, and electronic equipment can usually be directed to the Computer Helpdesk. Both student computer labs (Peavy 236 & 240) print to the printers located at the Computer Helpdesk. • What is the Forestry Media Center (FMC) (Peavy 250) The FMC produces many multi-media presentations; however, more importantly to students, the FMC checks out digital cameras, video cameras, tape recorders, and other equipment that can be used for class presentations. • What is the Lundeen Lab? (Peavy 254) The Lundeen Lab includes a video editing bay, a small speech practice room, and a computer set-up with a slide scanner, flatbed scanner, and CD burner to name a few. They all come in handy for class presentations. Reservations for the Lundeen Lab can be made at the Self Learning Center. • Where is a copy machine? A copy machine available for students use can be found in the entry room to the Lundeen Lab (Peavy 254). There is a also a scanner located there for student use.
  9. 9. Category: Resources on the OSU Campus • Where can I take care of all of my copying, scanning, and printing needs? There are self-service copiers in the Copy Center on the main (2nd) floor and on each floor of Valley Library. You may pay for copies by OSU ID card, OSU convenience card, or by using the cash copier. Book copiers are especially designed to make book copying easy and to protect the collection. There are also copiers for scanning to email (called eCopy), currently located in the Copy Center. They allow you to scan documents in JPG (single page only), PDF, TIFF (Group 4 2D) or TIFF Class F (Group 3 1D) formats and send them to your email address. Your mailbox will need to have sufficient storage space for your documents; otherwise the documents will be lost when sent. You will need to activate the system using a copy card (OSU ID or convenience card with copy cash value on it), but there is no charge for the service at this time. The Valley Library also has a plotter that you can use to print your posters that may be required in some classes. Library staff requires that you submit any requests to have a poster printed at least 1 week prior to the day you need it complete, so make sure to plan ahead! • Where’s a good place to work on a group project? Group study rooms can be checked out or reserved online from the valley library’s website. These rooms are a great place to collaborate and may be used for a three hour loan period. To reserve a study room visit • What health resources are available on campus? The Student Health Center (SHS) provides check ups that are covered by your OSU tuition, provides free medical advice, and has a pharmacy for student use. You can make an appointment with SHS simply by calling 541-737-WELL. More information about the services SHS provides and their mission can be found at their website. • Where am I supposed to park on campus and how much will it cost me? A map of student, faculty, and visitor parking can be found at the following site: Currently a one year parking pass at OSU costs $144. Students with parking passes should park in the zones marked by green student parking zone signs only • What resources are available in case I need help on campus? On the OSU campus there are several public emergency phone stations complete with alarms that you can use in case of an emergency. The campus map below notes the locations of these phones and has suggested safe night routes through campus that are always well lit. North In the campus map above the locations of public emergency phones are indicated by red stars. Suggested routes through campus are outlined in blue.