The leader of Czechoslovakia (Edward Benes) was concerned about Hitler.
He asked Britain and France to support Czechoslovakia in case it was invaded. Both accepted.
Chamberlain (British Chancellor) asked Hitler if he was planning something on Czechoslovakia. Hitler promised he did not.
Despite his promise, Hitler did have designs on Czechoslovakia
Many Germans lived in the Sudetenland; a Nazi leader in the Sudetenland convinced the Germans to demand to be part of Germany.
What Hitler Did and When
1) April, 1938: Hitler said he would not attack Czechoslovakia .
2) May, 1938: Hitler said he would fight against Czechoslovakia if necessary.
3) September 15th, 1938: Hitler said he was interested in only some parts of the Sudetenland.
4) September 22nd, 1938: Hitler declared that he wanted to take control of all the Sudetenland.
5) October, 1938: Hitler sent his troops to the Sudetenland.
6) March, 1939: Hitler took over the rest of Czechoslovakia.
Reasons for Hitler’s Actions
Excuse: Hitler claimed that the Czech government was mistreating the Germans in the Sudetenland and that he intended to “rescue” them (by October 1st). Chaimberlain told Hitler that his demands were unreasonable.
Real reason : Hitler wanted to expand his territories and wanted the industrial area.
Response from Britain and France
Britain and France’s plan was to give Hitler the parts of the Sudetenland that he wanted.
At the second meeting, Hitler increased his demands. He asked for all the Sudeteland as he regretted that the previous terms arranged were not enough.
The meeting in Munich on September 29th
With Mussolini’s help, a final meeting in Munich of the leaders of Britain, Germany, France and Italy decided to give Hitler what he wanted.
They announced that Czechoslovakia was to lose the Sudetenland. They did not consult Czechoslovakia or USSR.
This is known as the Munich agreement.
Britain & France feared Hitler so, in order to avoid war, they gave him what he wanted
Why Was This A Cause for WWII ?
Because France and Britain betrayed Czechoslovakia.
Germany lost Britain and France’s trust.
Hitler invaded the whole country, there was no peaceful objective and it created more tension in Europe.