1. “ And a cold wind blows, and a dark rain falls…” TASK #1 Find one source about this situation from a capitalist perspective & one from a communist perspective. Describe the sources and say what message they are giving.
2. <ul><li>Communist perspective: </li></ul><ul><li>The USSR was the only strong communist country, they believed that the capitalists would be focused on taking her down. In this source, the USSR, represented by the bear, seems helpless against the capitalist actions. </li></ul>
3. <ul><li>American perspective: </li></ul><ul><li>This source shows the Soviets take-over of Eastern Europe. Also, communist ideas and beliefs were spreading to other countries. The message this source gives is that the USSR’s influence was expanding to Europe (also France and Italy),Africa and Asia. </li></ul>
4. <ul><li>TASK #2 </li></ul><ul><li>Look up what the Policy of Containment, the Truman Doctrine and the Marshall Plan were. Explain these three terms in your own words and if you consider it suitable include quotations. </li></ul>In the 1930s, America had kept out of Europe’s business. Now, on 12 March 1947, Truman told Americans that it was America’s DUTY to interfere. His policy towards the Soviet Union was one of ‘ containment ’ – he did not try to destroy the USSR, but he wanted it to stop growing. This was called the ‘Truman Doctrine’. Under this doctrine, the USA was prepared to send money, equipment and advice to any country, which they thought, were threatened by a Communist take-over. Doctrine = a belief. Containment = holding something in – stopping the USSR growing.
5. <ul><li>In June 1947 , the American general George Marshall went to Europe. He said “every country in Europe was so poor that it was in danger of turning Communist” and that “Europe was ‘a breeding ground of hate’ ”. </li></ul><ul><li> He said that America should give $17 billion of aid to get Europe’s economy going and stop Communism. </li></ul><ul><li>Marshall said that it was up to the countries of Europe to decide what they needed. </li></ul><ul><li>The Marshall Plan is also called the European Recovery Plan. It was enacted by the US in 1947 as a way to help rebuild Europe after World War II. </li></ul>
6. <ul><li>TASK #3 </li></ul><ul><li>Find two sources on the policy of containment, the Truman Doctrine and the Marshall Plan. Describe the sources and say what message they are giving. </li></ul>
7. The Truman Doctrine <ul><li>This cartoon, shows Uncle Sam (symbolizing America) chasing out the Communists from Greece. The “$” sign on his gun means that America invested million of dollars in Greek in military aid. </li></ul><ul><li>The Communists are on the run, but they are dressed as Greeks - the Americans are STOPPING the Greeks getting the Communist government they wanted. </li></ul>
8. This cartoon shows Marshall telling Uncle Sam that the two of them were going to have to go to work to shore up western Europe (shown as a house that is about to collapse house). It shows self-interest from the USA because if the European house falls, it will fall on their house. Cecilia Brugo and Román Rostagno The Marshall Plan