1. Researching Methods and Techniques The New James Bond Film
2. Target AudienceThe target audience for the new upcoming James Bond film would consist of fans who have enjoyed the previous films of theJames Bond sequel. The success of all the James Bond films has created a huge fan base and is a great interest all over theworld. Even though the new James Bond film will have the target audience of fans from the previous films it still has to be a newaction packed thrilling story line and of excellent quality to attract new target audience and to of course impress the fans. Thenew film should still reflect the traditional elements of the James Bond films but use the new technology that we have today tomake the finished product that little bit more extravagant. Its clear that the target audience for this new film is mainly a maleaudience, but there is still a big female audience young and old, especially old because woman aged 40-50 grew up with theoriginal James bond movies in the 1960-70‟s.The target audience for the new James Bond film will be over 15‟s as 15 is the predicted rating. The Aston Martin DB9 whichhas classically always been 007‟s spy car throughout the films takes a huge part in the target audience because the car is seenas such a mans „dream car‟ it will attract the younger and older range of male audience because of their interest with the car.Over the years of the James Bond films creations, Alcohol has been a large part. In 2008 Smirnoff Vodka announced itsPartnership with the famous James Bond spy, 007 for the recent film “Quantum of Solace”. “Almost half a century since thedebut of the „shaken not stirred‟ vodka martini, Smirnoff and James Bond are still the perfect match: two bold, iconic brands thatepitomise originality and authenticity,” said Diageo Global Senior Vice-President Philip Gladman. “This renewed partnership givesvodka drinkers around the world a taste of the Bond lifestyle, from cocktails to prestigious VIP premieres.” Heineken Beerappeared in the Bond Film “Tomorrow Never Dies” 1997 as well, which shows that the Producers of the beer company expectthe 20+ target audience of the James bond films to show interest in their product, 20+ because the drinking age is 18 in theunited kingdom.
3. GenreThe James Bond series of films is best known to fit in the genre action because of the typicalstory line that all the classical and newer films follow. Targeted as an action/adventure/thriller,it typically has a storyline which includes an evil villain, a beautiful woman in distress knownas a „bond girl‟, 007 himself, and lots of fighting with the villain which normally includesaction such as car chases and dramatic exploitations. Because the storyline that the bondfilms stereotypically follow are quite vague, the producers of the new film can follow thestoryline easily but by using the technology we have today to make it spectacular and a newexciting and dangerous adventure for James Bond. The famous character James bond isfamously known to be a man who has „good taste‟ examples of this is his famous love of dryvodka martini‟s „shaken, not stirred‟, his sexy, smart fashion sense and his hi-tech spygadgets and many expensive sport cars such as Aston Martins and BMW‟s. The Bond girlsare always glamorous and sexy.
4. Country Of ExhibitionThe première of the new upcoming James Bond film will be held at two different locations, one in Los Angles atthe Nokia Theatre (at L.A. Live)in downtown Los Angeles, and one in London, Leicester square (at Odeoncinema). Its important that all the cast and crew are attendant at the two premieres for maximum media andmarketing attention. The film will typically be shown in all cinemas in America and in Britain as all the previousBond movies have been a success so this technique is maximising the profit outcome. As the bond films areproudly British, the new film will be out a week earlier in cinemas in the UK to pay respect to being a true Britishproduction, it will then be available in cinemas in the US a week after the premieres.Since the first James Bond movie was released in 1963 “Dr.No” all the way up to 2008 when the most recentJames Bond production was released in 2008, the average worldwide gross of all the Bond productions is$5,089,726,104 with a budget of $1,081,200,000. The First James Bond Film ‘Dr.No’ Quantum of Solace London première at premièred in 1963 Leicester Square, Odeon Cinema
5. Methods Of MarketingThe Bond movies have developed to be one of the most successful film franchise in history. Every newBond movie comes in with new marketing products and tie-ins. Because there is so many films in thebond series there is always a new bond film to look forward too, which allows there to be a constantexcitement and media attention which creates a big hype, creating a bigger fan base. Over the yearswe have seen that James Bond films always links its self to products, which is their way of method ofmarketing. The Bond films are very popular with many advertising companies because it is a seriesthat attracts young and old, male and female. Famously Casino Royale (2006) was linked with thesupercar „Aston Martin DBS‟. This is an example of how the producers linked the films with products,which is their method of marketing. At the time, the Aston Martin DBS had just been created, so it wasanother factor of the film that people were excited about because they wanted to see the car, and inaction.Casino Royale – Box Office ResultsBudget:$150,000,000 (estimated)Opening Weekend:$40,833,156 (USA) (19 November 2006) (3434 Screens)Gross:$594,239,066 (Worldwide) (6 May 2007)
6. Production Companies Eon Productions is the company who is known to produce all the James Bond film productions. The company is based in Londons Piccadilly but also operates from „Pinewoods Studios‟ which is also located in the UK. Eon Productions are a huge powerhouse behind the James bond series and is a huge part of what has made the series so successful. It would be a wise decision to use Eon productions for the new upcoming bond movie „Skyfall‟ which is why I have chosen them. Eon productions have produced all the James Bond creations so they know what type of marketing techniques to use and other stragities to make „Skyfall‟ have the biggest buzz of media and public attention that it can. Eon Productions is also the „holding company‟ which means they are responsible for the copyright and trademarks to the Bond characters and elements on screen. Bond Films Produced by Eon Productions:1. Dr.No (1962)2. From Russia with Love (1963)3. Goldfinger(1964)4. Thunderball(1965)5. You Only Live Twice (1967)6. On Her Majestys Secret Service (1969)7. Diamonds Are Forever (1971)8. Live and Let Die (1973)9. The Man with the Golden Gun (1974)10. The Spy Who Loved Me (1977)11. Moonraker (197912. For Your Eyes Only (1981)13. Octopussy(1983)14. A View to a Kill (1985)15. The Living Daylights (1987)16. Licence to Kill (1989)17. GoldenEye(1995)18. Tomorrow Never Dies (1997)19. The World Is Not Enough (1999)20. Die Another Day (2002)21. Casino Royale (2006)22. Quantum of Solace (2008)23. Skyfall(2012) (in the progress of being produced)
7. Genre and Methods of Marketing of 5 other filmsI have selected 5 different films which are from the same genre as James Bond films which is action/adventure. I am going to bediscussing about how these five particular films were marketed and whether the marketing was successful.1. The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)This particular movie shares many qualities the same as the James Bond films, for example they are of the same genre which isaction/adventure and the main character is also a spy. This is the third film of „The Bourne‟ series with the first being „The Bourne Identify‟ andthe second being „The Bourne Supremacy‟. The Bourne film series was marketed as a „Bond for a new generation‟. This film was advertisedthrough a viral campaign online, Google and universal pictures went on to make an online video game which followed the same storyline as thefilm a CIA operative tracking Jason Bourne‟s movement all over the world. Universal pictures also launched a digital promotional competition.Embedding advertiser „MirriAd‟ digitally added special keyword clues to live-action clips of the movie that can be found on Empireonline.com.Due to the game and the promotional competition „The Bourne Ultimatum‟ was a huge success in the box office with a total of $227,471,070!All the marketing decisions really worked well to make this movie have the biggest „buzz‟ it possibly could have.2. Salt (2010)Salt is an American action thriller film, which stars Angelina Jolie, who plays „Evelyn Salt‟ who is accused of being a Russian sleeper agent andis on the run to clear her name. This film shares the similarity of being the same genre as the Bond series. This film also connects to JamesBond because of some of the stunts that appear in the film, and they also follow the same kind of plot. This films marketing campaign includeda game that was available on the web which was called „Day X Exists‟ and the aim of the viral game was to complete missions which followed aterrorist type plot. „Salt‟ posters printed that the film would be out in the UK on August 20th 2010 but ended out being available to view on the18th august. It was released earlier in North America on July 23rd 2010. The film was a success at the box office bringing in $293,503,354worldwide!
8. Genre and Methods of Marketing of 5 other films3. The Hunger Games (2012)This film‟s genre is drama/action which shares the similarity with the James Bond series. Before this film was made, „The Hunger Games‟ was aseries of books which was already a huge success worldwide, this allowed the film to have a huge buzz of excitement from fans of the bookseries. For this film, the trailer movie was a huge success in marketing terms, the trailers itself shows a lot of the action that takes place in thefilm, which is a great advertising technique as it pulls peoples attention in and makes them want to view the film to find out what all the excitingdrama and action is about. They advertised the Trailer on TV, but they split the trailer into two parts spreading it out among other adverts whichsuccessfully grasped peoples attention. This is a great, new way to advertise any film by splitting the trailer in two, once seeing both the trailersthe viewers have the desire to see more which is when they go to the cinema to view the film. The Hunger Games on its first opening weekendmade $152,535,747.4. The Warriors Way (2010)The Warriors way is fantasy action film, which shares the aspect of being an action film with the James Bond series. This movies is about a mancalled Yang who is the worlds best swordsman, who packs it all in and leaves his home of Japan to find an old friend in the Wild West ratherthan kill the infant queen of a rival clan. This films method of marketing was simply using its trailer as its powerhouse which was viral. Due tothis being its only marketing method In the films opening weekend, it grossed $3,048,665 in the US. The film ranked #9 at the weekend charts.The number of theatres reduced from 1,622 to 34 within three weeks from the opening day. The film grossed 11,087,569 worldwide and had aproduction budget of 42,000,000 USD making the movie a box office bomb. The movie was the biggest box office bomb of 2010. This provesthat the marketing was not strong enough for the movie to be a success.5. Safe House (2012)This movie also shares the similarity of being an action film, like James Bond. This films particular method of marketing was using its Cast. Thefilm stars too very famous actors „Ryan Reynolds‟ and „Denzel Washington‟. With these actors already being well known, it will attract fans onthe actors to watch this particular movie. Denzel Washington appeared on the UK Jonathon Ross show advertising the film in the UK by talkingabout the film itself. He also appeared on the David Letterman show which is in the US, advertising the show in the US. This method ofmarketing really worked for „Safe House‟ and is a technique used for many Hollywood movie, the movie did end up being a huge success in thebox office bring in a total of $200,557,656 worldwide.