Thinking outside the Box!
Student Contracts Learning Centres
What are Student Contracts?
The student agrees to complete tasks in a prescribed amount
The student has an active role in their own learning.
1. Teacher Direction: Role-plays, Vocabulary, Grammar, Sentence
Structures, Modelling language.
2. Student Activities: Students are given Tasks to complete with a
partner or in a small group.
The 2 Components of Student Contracts
What are Learning Centres / Work Stations?
• Areas set-up around the room
that are designed for a specific
• Students focus on developing
and/or mastering a particular skill
and/or concept while working in
• Students take an active role in
learning as they move from one
activity to another.
Why Learning Centres / Work Stations?
• Highly motivating for boys particularly
• Time Management
• Enrichment Options
• Encourages Creativity
• Frees Teacher up to provide help
• Assessment - Students demonstrate skills
Thinking Outside the Box Planning Tips
1. Start small
2. Plan well and be creative!
3. Clear and detailed Instructions
4. Participation Rubric
5. On Task
6. Chinese ONLY
7. Learning Portfolio
8. High expectations
Thinking Outside the Box
Teaching Chinese creatively