the Board Development Training
The Active Role of the
Board in the Care of Staff
A Trustee is (Board Member) who has a sense of
genuine responsibility and
extraordinary personal commitment
____________________________________ to the
overall welfare of the organization. (which is made up
First things first:
We must find people who can serve
in this way on our boards!
Men and women who will devote time,
talent and treasure
1) Who will serve because they have______ and _________
2) Will come to all __________ and ____________;
3) Who are willing to give of their ____________. (10-15
hours a month is not asking too much--more if retired);
4) They must understand that sharing their_________ is a
5) They are expected to set the example by
6) They must know we are not looking for them to be
involved in the _______ , but rather to be a
strategizer, a visionary or an idea person;
7) Board members are to _________ and help
8) They should understand that they are to be an
9) They must ________ their replacement and other
___________________ to serve on the board.
There is no better way to care
for our staff than to be part of
their life by playing an active
role in the ministry.
A. Do not appoint just _________ - make sure they
are called and have some ability to succeed.
B. Come along side and ________ this person.
C. Be an _____________ to the person by your calls
D. Review and renew their __________ every year to
ensure salary increases, health insurance,
retirement and covered expenses.
personal needs desires
E. Know their _____________ and ________ .
F. Support them personally with your _________.
A. Keep the focus on the ___________ of the
B. Do your ____________ and know the mission
you have been called to.
C. Get __________ in a ministry of CEF if for only a
D. Be part of the ___________________ as goals
E. Know what it will ______________ of the
director and staff before approving the goals.
A. Inside (staff)
1. Attend ______ meetings on occasions to show
concern and understand more of what it takes
to accomplish goals.
2. Encourage the staff by conducting a yearly
3. Give each an end-of-year _______ at the
beginning of December for Christmas.
4. Ask different staff to come to _______________
to give a short report of their activities.
5. Make sure all staff contracts are
reviewed and renewed
B. Outside (General Public)
1. Tell others of the ______ of the ministry.
2. Promote with a _________ to friends and
3. Share the ____________ you have witnessed
as you have been involved in the ministry.
4. Make contacts with __________ in your area to get
good press for the ministry.
5. Be active in all functions to show your _______ of the
6. Volunteer to help with __________ and ___________
7. Recruit good people as volunteers to serve on
the ______ and ___________ .
A. Take your responsibility seriously for the
__________ well-being of the ministry.
B. Know what it will take financially to reach
_______ set by the staff and board.
C. Determine how the _______________ should raise
the necessary funds to accomplish the goals.
3. Auctions, etc.
D. Take the lead in making each local committee
___________ in this area.
E. Realize that this is, in most cases, the greatest
________ directors are faced with daily, weekly,
monthly and yearly.
Help your board/local
committee see finances as the
greatest area of help and
encouragement you can offer
in the care of your staff.