1. 4.2 STANDARD FORM OF AQUADRATIC FUNCTIONPart 1: Properties of Standard Form and Graphingusing Standard Form
2. QUADRATIC FUNCTIONS Vertex Form: Standard Form is another way to write the equation of a quadratic function. Standard form is: Both forms can represent the same function. Vertex form makes it easy to identify the vertex and other information about the graph. Standard form is easier to put into a graphing calculator and is more “formal”.
3. PROPERTIES OF STANDARD FORM The graph of is a parabola. If a > 0, the graph opens up. If a < 0, the graph opens down. The axis of symmetry is the line The x – value of the vertex is and the y – value of the vertex is The y – intercept is (0, c)
4. EXAMPLE: IDENTIFY THE VERTEX, AXIS OFSYMMETRY, THE MAXIMUM OR MINIMUM VALUE, ANDTHE RANGE OF THE PARABOLA
5. EXAMPLE: IDENTIFY THE VERTEX, AXIS OFSYMMETRY, THE MAXIMUM OR MINIMUM VALUE, ANDTHE RANGE OF THE PARABOLA
6. GRAPHING A FUNCTION IN STANDARD FORM1. Identify a, b, and c2. Identify and sketch the axis of symmetry,3. Identify and plot the vertex,4. Identify and plot the y – intercept, (0, c)5. Use the axis of symmetry and y – intercept to plot the reflected point6. Sketch the parabola