It is low cost - Just Rs 1000/- gets you
It is easy - 1 hours on PC and you are
It is open source - nothing is hidden.
It is multi platform - Windows, Linux,
Apple Mac OSX
It can create complex applications/
Lab 1 deals with just one LED, start with
a simple blinker to code that says SOS or
SMS (morse code)
Lab 2 deals with serial port or interface
computer with Arduino Port
Lab 3 interface GPS device and
computer where location is sensed and
displayed lat/long/time info on serial
What will you learn
Basic Grammer, Simple commands
Communication bet ween 2 devices
(computer and embedded unit)
Communication bet ween 3 devices
(complex embedded unit, simple
embedded unit and computer)
Interface simple other devices
- Alpha numeric devices
- Key board and Digital Display
- Real Time Clock
- Relay and Opto couplers
- Temprature, Current, Voltage
- DTMF Signals
Integrate Multiple Devices
Add user interface / sequence
Create a real life application that
Computer with Linux/Windows/MAC
OS with RS232 port
Arduino Board with pre-programmed ic
with boot loader
+12V Power Supply
Download and Install latest version of
Arduino soft ware (017 as on Nov 2009)
Connect Arduino board with power
supply and RS232 port.
Note the mcu on Arduino and Serial port
Run ARDUINO. Select board and port
from tool menu.
Arduino Pin Numbers
Arduino board has 20 I/O lines.
Numbered from 0 to 19
All are general purpose I/O
Some has additional functions
Pin 13 is LED on Board. It glows when
pin is HIGH and off when LOW.
Some Common Words
Sketch - Program that runs on the
Digital - Only t wo values 1(HIGH) or
Analog - Multiple values (like volume,
light intensity) Usually has a range
from 0 to 255.
Pin - input or output connected to
something like switch or led.
More Common Words
Port - Serial port on which arduino is
connected for uploading the program
Bootlaoder - Like OS. A program that
starts ﬁrst. Wait for new user program.
If nothing received then start the
existing user’s program.
Upload - A process done at computer
that sends the user program via serial
Select proper com port (Tools | Serial
Select proper board (Tools | Boards). For
version 1 it is Arduino NG or Older with
ATMEGA168 (some may have ATMEGA8)
When uploading ensure that
Hyperteminal is disconnected or close.
I am doing MCA. I have no Idea about
- That’s okay.
- There is no electronics more than you have in PC.
- In PC you connect key board, mouse, pen driver,
external HDD/CDROM, modem or Monitor.
- Here also you may connect some boards like GPS or
GSM or Display.
This is too simple. I plan to work on
sound analysis or TCP/IP protocols
- That’s okay.
- Inital labs deal with leds and serial port.
- Very soon you will be able to connect to a ser ver
via TCP protocols or connet to ethernet or control
a complete elevator with this board.
- By the way the speed of this board is more than 3X
of that of IBM/PC - ﬁrst popular computer that
you may remember
This is only for hobby
- Yes, this is for hobby.
- And at the same time, it is used for commercial and
power ful application.
- Some application that we have installed are remote
monitoring of Mobile Phone Towers and Trafﬁc
- Check on web, you may be able to ﬁnd lot more
serious application than hobby applications
This version is with RS232 and only for
- This is an entry level model costing Rs 1000/-
- Next model with USB connectivity is also available.
- More models with memory upto 128kb and I/Os
upto 50 are available.
- They of course cost more. Yet the same programs
will work on them as it is.
Do I have to buy boards from you.
- The complete details including PCB design, circuit
diagram are available from arduino.cc.
- All parts as well as complete boards are available in
local markets in India.
- On line training is open and free.
- Personal training is available from various sources
and is paid. There is nothing extra that is not on
Have more ideas, queries, suggestions?
Contact me at -
email : email@example.com
SMS : 9811074026
Spread the knowledge
This training is at zero cost to you
We request you to explain the process
and give demo to 20 more students.
Update their names, college name,
course name, semster, email id and
mobile number to bit.ly/arduino-
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.