1Lisa D. Bowie, MA
222 14th Street, NE, Unit 303 (H) (404) 249-7827
Atlanta, GA 30309 (C) (404) 849-6289
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
A versatile human resources professional, coupled with a Masters of Arts, Humanities. Ability to promote
collaborative interaction, while providing support, guidance and leadership related to organization initiatives and
activities. Recognized as a strong leader possessing business acumen in presenting strategic initiatives to
senior management. Demonstrated ability to be a consensus builder among all vested parties to
accomplish common goals. Highly skilled communicator with strong and diplomatic presentation skills
coupled with a keen sense of thorough and concise planning.
• Staff Recruitment & Retention • Employee Relations • Merger and
• Compliance/Employment Law • RFI/RFP/Contract Acquisitions
• FMLA/ADA/EEO/WC/HIPAA Management • HRIS Technologies
• Mediation & Advocacy • Benefits Management • Training &
• HR Policies & Procedures Development
• HR Program/Project • Performance
• Vendor Relationship
• Union Experience
Argosy University, Pittsburgh, PA 2010 - Present
Part-time Adjunct Faculty Member
As an online adjunct faculty member I am responsible for teaching the courses “American Voices,” “Skills for
Success” and “Critical Thinking.” In these courses students are encouraged to contemplate the idea of
multiculturalism in America and the role it may play in their own lives. Also students are prepared for
undergraduate success with the university, by developing learning strategies and utilizing self-assessment to
determine learning styles in efforts to aid them in achieving their educational goals. Students are also guided
in those principles that strengthen their ability to read and listen critically and to identify, analyze, and
evaluate formal and informal arguments in professional and everyday discourse.
• Educate and provide technological and academic instruction to students in an asynchronous,
student-centered learning environment.
• Execute lesson plans for each course that recognizes students’ abilities and learning styles.
• Incorporate a variety of means of evaluation in efforts to support student abilities, to include
cooperative learning, reports and team projects.
• Assist students in identifying the elements of effective writing and creating and delivering an effective
Examiner.com , Denver, CO 2010 - Present
Career transition columnist offering creative and innovative articles in the field of career transition and
planning. Successfully aiding the mission of Examiner.com by revolutionizing the delivery and consumption
of local information, resources and events across more than 240 major US markets and Canada. This is
achieved by combining carefully selected local writers with the latest technology, who endeavor to inspire,
inform, opens dialogue, and help people tackle everyday challenges in their local city and community.
Writing styles consist of:
• Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Articles
“The power of personal networking” - http://www.examiner.com/x-55337-Atlanta-Career-Transition-
“A new career direction: Ten steps to a career change”- http://www.examiner.com/x-55337-Atlanta-Career-
American Cancer Society , Atlanta, GA 2005 – 2008
National Home Office Benefits Manager
Responsible for assisting the Director of Benefits with setting the strategic direction and design of all benefit
plans for the American Society covering 14 separate incorporated divisions. Led the development of policy
formation, operational reviews and recommendations of administrative systems, and the negotiation and
management of service providers.
• Led selection of new nationwide medical carrier improving access to medical network providers,
maximizing plan savings through competitive discounts, lowering administrative fees, improving
employee choice and customer service. Results in annual cost avoidance and projected savings of
more than $5MM (9% of plan) over five years.
• Reimbursed over $3.6MM in medical premiums in 18 month period to ACS divisions as a result of
nationwide medical plan discounts, better management of Rx, and favorable medical experience.
Implemented nationwide on-line benefit enrollment system and premium billing reconciliation with
projected cost savings between 2%-5% of annual medical costs.
• Gained approval to implement health risk appraisals and care management programs for all ACS
employees. Targeted to improve employee education and create a long-term behavior change to
improve health management.
• Carved out pharmacy benefit management in nationwide medical plan that allowed for realized
annual savings of approximately 6%-7% through volume purchasing, aggressive benefit
management, consolidation of pharmacy claims data and enhanced customer service.
AGL Resources, Atlanta, GA 2004 – 2005
Senior Benefits Analyst
Educated managers and employees on benefit plans, programs, practices, processes, and tools (e.g.,
benefits, development projects) to ensure knowledge transfer, enhanced organizational capability related to
the management and development of people, and consistent delivery.
• Managed vendor performance to ensure quality and value of service delivered met AGL Resources’
standards, implementing changes as needed, which resulted in 98% employee satisfaction.
• Analyzed new and/or existing plans and programs (e.g., benefits, training and development) to
ensure market competitiveness, ease of administration, and alignment with business strategy,
resulting in competitively priced health plans.
Answerthink, Atlanta, GA
2003 – 2004
Senior Associate – Human Resources
Assisted organization leaders with HR support and guidance; communicated and interpreted policies and
procedures; responded to employee concerns and issues; educated new employees about benefit offerings;
developed Summary Plan Descriptions (SPDs) and other benefit communications and presentations;
administered leaves including benefit payments and FMLA compliance; and ensured all new hire paperwork
was processed in a timely manner.
• Administered self-insured medical plan, negotiating health and welfare plans; improving coverage,
reducing costs while maintaining ERISA and HIPAA compliance.
• Assisted with creating diversity and EEO statement, affirmative action plan and developed a diversity
• Ensured the quality of new hires increased by 15% by tying commission to new hire success on the
• Guided management on performance, discrimination, sexual harassment, disability and behavioral
issues by applying EEO, ADA, FMLA, FSLA, OFCCP, etc.
Lanier Worldwide, Inc., Atlanta, GA 2000 – 2003
Senior Benefits Administrator
Internal health and welfare plan expert with benefit plan administration and compliance responsibility.
Managed health and welfare benefit program RFP process. Managed vendor relations and developed
employee enrollment materials, forms, new hire brochures, employee handbooks, summary plan descriptions
and intranet content.
• Served as the internal health and welfare plan expert with benefit plan administration and compliance
• Directed staff of two supporting 4000 associates nationwide.
• Healthcare advocate for employee in problem resolution.
• Managed self-insured fully-insured medical plans, negotiated health and welfare plans; improved
coverage, reduced costs while maintaining ERISA and HIPAA compliance.
• Ensured due diligence and administered procedures for transition of benefits as a stand-alone
subsidiary and implemented processes for future acquisitions to ensure policies remained consistent
Previously employed as a Defined Benefit Account Manager with MetLife from 1997 to 2000.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
M.Ed., 2011 (expected date of completion)
Tiffin University, Tiffin, OH
Tiffin University, Tiffin, OH
Maintained 4.0 / 4.0 GPA – Recognized as a “Graduate of Distinction”
BA, Business Management
Clark Atlanta University, Atlanta, GA