Librarians in the 21st Century: Designing a Career Strategy for Evolving Roles and Opportunities
Librarians in the 21st Century:
Designing a Career Strategy for
Evolving Roles and Opportunities
Lisa Chow | Sandra Sajonas
October 18, 2013 Library 2.013 Worldwide Virtual
1. Participants will receive an overview of new and
evolving roles of librarians.
2. Participants will conduct an individualized career
3. Participants will be equipped with practical career
strategies for keeping their skills current with the shifting
We surveyed 10 leaders in the library world...
Digital resource librarian
We reviewed LIS curricula and
We attended events, presentations,
meetings, discussions and webinars...
● Think micro-careers. The modern information career will
be made up of micro-careers.
● There is no box. Information professionals are doing work
outside of traditional spaces, titles, responsibilities, etc.
● Think tech. The profession and information is going
● Be a part of the team. The information professional works
GET OUT THERE
Attend cheap/free events, unconferences,
trainings and meetups.
Attend national & local conferences.
Organize your own event.
Apply to various library programs & initiatives.
Get involved with local and national
associations & groups.
Keep up with library land
(and the world).
influencers, listservs, blogs, LinkedIn, Google
● MOOCs (Massive online open
● Continuing education
● Informational interviews
● Ask colleagues to show you
what they know about a topic
or software/tool of interest
● Books, videos (YouTube,
Vimeo), podcasts, the usual...