1. OPEN TUTORING SESSION<br />PRONUNCIATION: USING IPA EFFECTIVELY<br />May, 2010<br />
2. Objectives<br /><ul><li>Identify phonetic symbols and their corresponding sounds.
3. Identify the most important differences between the phonetic systems of Spanish and English and the most common difficult sounds for Spanish speakers.
4. Get familiar with some resources that are available to practice pronunciation.</li></li></ul><li>In your experience…<br />What is the IPA?<br />Have you ever had problems while pronouncing some sounds in English? Which ones?<br />Do you recognize or know which sound is represented by any of the following symbols?<br /> /ʃ/ /ɔ/<br />/θ//æ/<br /> /ʌ//Ʒ/<br />
44. ExerciseFind the phonetic transcription of the following words and then practice their pronunciation<br /><ul><li>Foot
49. about</li></li></ul><li>ExerciseFind the phonetic transcription of the following words and then practice their pronunciation<br /><ul><li>Foot
56. /klæs /
57. /bɜ:rd /
58. /mɔ:l /
60. /ə'baʊt/</li></li></ul><li>Tongue Twisters<br /><ul><li>Picky people pick Peter Pan Peanut-Butter, 'tis the peanut-butter picky people pick.
61. I wish to wish the wish you wish to wish, but if you wish the wish the witch wishes, I won't wish the wish you wish to wish.
62. How many boards Could the Mongols hoard If the Mongol hordes got bored?</li></li></ul><li>Why is the use of the IPA necessary?<br /><ul><li>IPA makes the learning of pronunciation easier
63. IPA allows learners to work autonomously on pronunciation
64. IPA makes the association of words with the same pronunciation easier: to, two, too /tu/
65. IPA allows the differenciation of words with similar endings: thought /θɔt/ though/ðoʊ/, tough/tʌf/ y through/θru/</li></li></ul><li>Suggestions<br /><ul><li>Identify the sound and the phonetic symbol that represents it.
66. Practice the pronunciation of the sounds whose symbols are different from the alphabet letters.
67. Use the IPA every day to prepare the new vocabulary you may encounter in the following lesson. Choose at least 5 words daily.</li></li></ul><li>By learning to use the IPA I will understand that:<br />As I learn new vocabulary it is important that I get familiar with its pronunciation. <br />Minor changes in pronunciation can alter meanings significantly. <br />There are sounds especially difficult for Hispanics since they are not present in their native language. <br />I can find patterns that can help me understand how to pronounce certain words. <br />This strategy is there to help you. Using the on-line tools will facilitate understanding of it. <br />