What is tumblr.?
• tumblr. was founded in February of 2007 by
David Karp. Now owned by Yahoo!
• The headquarters are in New York City.
• tumblr. lets you effortlessly share anything!
• You can post photos, text, chat, quotes, music,
links, and videos from your phone, browser,
desktop and even email.
• Available in 13 languages.
• tumblr. is microblogging platform and social
• Most of the tumblr. users are teen or college
age. Over half of the users are 25 and younger.
• 125,000 new users sign up every day
• tumblr has:
- 174.3 Million blogs
-78.5 Billion posts
• Joining is VERY simple.
• It take about 30 seconds to become a member
of the tumblr family.
• You just enter your email, password, and
desired username and your in!
Below is a picture of a tumblr. dashboard. All user
have to do is select what they are wanting to upload
(text, photo, etc.) and select post. Dashboard will
show what your followers have posted similar to a
7 main uses of tumblr.
Interacting with friends
• Finding friends - With tumblr. there is no need
to know anyone before signing up. A lot of
users feel more freedom to post because their
acquaintances aren’t following them.
• Interacting with friends – Some users join
because their friends are already on tumblr. It
provides a groups of friends to share content
with each other.
• Portfolio – tumblr. is great for people to
display their art work in a digital portfolio.
Example of art
work that can be
• Blogging – With photo, travel, and hobby
blogging users can share their passion.
• Business blogging is great for creating brand
presence on social media. Consumer
interaction is crucial for a successful business.
• With tumblr. monetary has never been a strong
point. Tumblr. used advertising to make a profit. .
• The first advertising launch started in May 2012
after 16 experimental campaigns.
• In 2012 tumblr. made revenues of 13 million.
• Beginning in 2013, tumblr. allowed companies to
pay to promote their own post to larger
• Selling themes to users is another way that
tumblr. generates revenue.
• How will Tumblr and Yahoo make money:
- No longer will they be saved by ad agencies or
- The new strategy will be with algorithms and
data and search software. Possibly from a
company called Swoop.
Marketing benefits and value
• tumblr. is a great place to promote a brand.
• You might ask why tumblr. ? Since there are so
many other social media site are available.
• Limitless expression – businesses are able to tell a
story through pictures, text, animation, video, music
with a true multimedia content stream.
• It’s native – organizations have the ability to create
• It’s non-disruptive – posts fit seamlessly into the
platform without interrupting user experience.
• Content longevity – shelf life on tumblr. is infinite!
• More exposure – 60% of engagement comes from nonfollowers. Business can engage with and reach out to
consumer beyond your core followers.
• No clutter – just your content the way it was meant to
- Another plus about tumblr. is the Dashboard
Analytics tools. This tools measure the
engagement with the community. It provides
help to improve content strategy. You also can
earn about your blog’s impact, which posts
resonate with the community, and compare
your blogs performance with competitors.
• A public relations crisis
• A security breach
• Offending your audience
• Stick-fingered competition
• Legal implications