1642: There was no such thing as computers in the 1642. They used Index cards to track all informationIn the 21st century we use Index cards to study for exams or remember vocabulary words1970’s: PC were first introduced to the market. They weren’t our normal size laptop or PC’s. These personal computers were not in color. They were black and green, many of you in the audience may remember.1990’s: Imagine waiting in line for 15-20 minutes just to check out book from Library. As you had to wait for the librarian. To document the book ISBN number and the title of the book.To check-back in book, you would wait for the librarian to document the information. 2012: In the 21stcentury, we are spoiled compared to our parents and grandparents who went to school and had to use type writer or hand write all their papers in cursive. Now, everything is done with few clicks and button. With Microsoft Office is an amazing software program. Offering distinctive modes to collaborating thoughts and presenting your information.
Discuss VONS, Albertsons, Ralphs, CVS, Costco and club card stores.Read more: Trends in Management Information Systems | eHow.comhttp://www.ehow.com/about_5623380_trends-management-information-systems.html#ixzz29cv59EPO
Depending on organization deployment, usage and extraneous factors, some disadvantages related to Management Information Systems can come to the fore. Allocation of budgets for MIS upgrades, modifications and other revisions can be quite tricky at times. If budgets are not allocated uniformly or as per immediate requirements, key functionalities might get effected and benefits might not be realized consistently. Integration issues with legacy systems can affect the quality of output and vital business intelligence reports.
Management Information Systems (MIS)
Dr. Lauren Talia, DBA
MIS being incorporated with starting a business
These slides will present the history
of MIS and how MIS has evolved
into the 21st century. There is also
YouTube clips provided
throughout the presentation to
help by elaborating the details
on how MIS is being utilized in the
• Is electronic device capable of processing
data, and capable of storing software
What type of computer system will your company
Now, lets build a computer for your organization!
• Management is the organizational process that
includes strategic planning, setting; objectives,
managing resources, deploying the human and
financial assets needed to achieve objectives, and
(Management Study Guide, 2013)
• How will you recruit for a staff?
• What type of skillsets are you looking
• Who will you hire?
• How will you align specific personnel's
against roles within your company?
Data is organized and presented at a time, and place
so that the decision-maker may take necessary action.
(Termale , 2013)(Shajahan, S. & Priyadharshini, R. 2004)
What is the purpose for
• Which city, state, and country will the company be
• What type of service or products will your company
• What type of employees are needed to make your
• Who are your vendors, suppliers, and distributors?
• How much capital is required to launch your
• A System converts data from internal and external
sources into information and to communicate that
information, in appropriate form, to managers at all
functions to enable the managers to make timely
and effective decisions for planning, directing, and
controlling for the activities which they are
Bill Gates, lives in a smart home. His home is operated by
a computer system.
The link below, is a computer model/tour of the Gates
house and some of the technology in it.
YouTube Link: Bill Gates Home
History of MIS
o MIS started with simple manual system such as customer database on
In the 21st century, we use databases as MS Excel, MS Access,
Customer Relationship Management (CRM), and Project
(Reitz, 2013)(Pankajakshi, R., & Shailaja, M. L. (2012)
MIS in the 1970’s
Hobbyists began to build personal computers from kits and
commercially available microprocessors and floppy disks in
(Amiga Store, 2013)
(McClellan & Dorn, 2006)
MIS in the 1990’s
In 1990 the card catalog was not yet
computerized, and the massive wooden
filing cabinet that housed the thousands
and thousands of alphabetized index
cards itemizing the book collection stood
in the center of the main room.
(Holley, 2009)(Broyard, 2007)
Future of MIS: Data Mining
An important trend in MIS is the ability for
companies to use data mining tools to
collect information regarding consumer
purchases and other economic trends.
YouTube Link: How Data Mining Works
YouTube Link: Predictive Data Mining
Material handing operation should be
mechanized and/or automated where
feasible to improve operational efficiently
eliminate repetitive or potentially unsafe
YouTube Link: Kiva Systems: A Robotic
System for Automagically Fulfilling Orders
Robotics operate the Warehouse
What is the Importance of
Advantages for MIS
• Managers are able to make quick
informed strategic decisions.
oFrom evaluating historical data,
current information, and
For MIS to be effective an organization MUST
maintain all data for reporting to stay updated. To
all Managers to access the latest information.
Disadvantages for MIS
• If an organization ability to track
information, such as financial reporting
for projects is not updated.
oThis will not benefit the Managers of
oNo electricity, no access to files or
oSystem being hacked
oSystem bugs as virus’s, Trojans, and
Who benefits from MIS
College and Graduate Students
oAccording to the U.S. Bureau of Labor
Statistics (BLS), the growth rate for jobs
in the MIS field is expected to grow 21%
or more from 2006 to 2016. Incomes
can range from $83,000 to $109,000
depending on the industry or
position, according to the BLS.
oStreamlines the workplace
• Almost everything is completed
through computer, tablet, and smart
From Warren Buffett's bodyguard to a high-tech panic room
in a Hollywood mansion and on board a mega yacht in
Miami, CNBC goes behind the scenes with the men and
women who protect the super-rich. These are nervous times
for billionaires around the globe and an entire industry is on
call ready to sell the ultra-rich super security.
Dangerously Rich Billionaire Super
Security 2012 (Part 1/2)
Dangerously Rich Billionaire Super
Security 2012 (Part 2/2)
Jobs in Management
Information Systems (MIS)
• System Administrator
• Network Administrator
• Support Analyst
• Support Technician
• Project Coordinator
• Project Manager
• Technical Support
• IT User Liaison
• Database Administrator
• Systems Developer
• Computer Systems
• Business Analyst
• Business System Analyst
• Manager of Information
• System Analyst
• IT Consultant
• IT Development Project
• IT User Liaison
• Business Intelligence
• Operations Research
• Sales Engineer
• Technical Support
• Network Analyst
• Ackerman, E. (2012, October 24). Meet the amazing robots
that will compete in the darpa robotics challenge.
• Amiga Store. (2013). 0 x amiga formatted floppy disks dsdd.
• Annenberg. (2013). Card catalog. Retrieved from
• Alsyad, G. A. J. (2010). MIS homepage. Retrieved from
• Burtynsky, E. (2004). Hongqingting shoe factory. Retrieved
• Broyard, B. (2007). One drop: My father's hidden life-
-a story of race and family secrets. New York, NY:
Hachette Digital, Inc.
• Edraw. (2013). Management organizational chart.
• Electronics For Imaging, Inc. (2013). Efi pace.
Retrieved from http://w3.efi.com/MIS_ERP/Print-MIS-
• Essemtec. (2008). Mis. Retrieved from
• Gupta, H. (2011). Management information system .
New Delhi, India: International Book House PVT. LTD.
• Holley, M. (2009, April 30). File: copyright card catalog
drawer. Retrieved from
• Information Fluency. (2011, October 09). Our model.
• Jha, D. G. (2007). Computer concepts &
management info systems . New Delhi, India:
Prentice-Hall of India.
• Lämmel, U. (2011, July 01). Data mining. Retrieved
• Lavlados. (2013, January 09). Industrial automation.
Retrieved from http://www.lavlado.com/industrial-
• Lucey, T. R. (2004). Management information system
. (9th ed.). Bedford Row, London: Cengage
• Management Study Guide. (2013). Levels of
management. Retrieved from
• McCombs. (2011, February 10). Mis bridge team &
history. Retrieved from
• Old Computers.net. (2013). Computer data storage -
floppy disks. Retrieved from
• Pankajakshi, R., & Shailaja, M. L. (2012). The role of
information and communication technologies (icts)
in service sector. World Journal of Science and
Technology 2012, , 2(5), 66-70. doi: 2231 – 2587
• Pidwirny, M. (2006). "Introduction to Geographic
Information Systems". Fundamentals of Physical
Geography, 2nd Edition. Date Viewed.
• Quinstreet Enterprise. (2013). Operating system (OS).
• McClellan, J. E., & Dorn, H. (2006). Science and
technology in world history: An introduction . (2nd ed.).
Baltimore, Maryland: The John Hopkins University Press.
• Reitz, J. (2013). Online dictionary for library and
information science. Retrieved from http://www.abc-
• Search Inform. (2013). Information security. Retrieved from
• Shajahan, S. & Priyadharshini, R. (2004). Management
information systems . Delhi, India: New Age International
• Simpson, A. (2013). what is hardware?. Retrieved from
• Singh, A. K. (2008). Materials management . Laxmi
Publications LP LTD: New Delhi, India.
• Stuhlman, D. G. (2012, December 12). Knowledge
management terms . Retrieved from
• Termale , D. (2013, September 04). Can your business
benefit from a document management system?.
• U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). (2013,
September 20). Retrieved from
• Vitez, O. (2013). Trends in management information
systems. Retrieved from
• Wikipedia. (2013). Floppy disk. Retrieved from