2. April Event Feedback - Programming‣ Desire for more Design Summit sessions, and more time per session, but not more sessions running parallel‣ Workshops well-received and standing room only. Requests for more workshops‣ Conference felt short (1 ½ days + ½ day workshops) for traveling long distance. Should be at least two full days‣ General session felt too long – break it over two days
3. April Event Feedback - Logistics‣ A/V needs improvement; took too long to get the videos online‣ Most did not favor capped Design Summit registration and that invitations were first sent to previous contributors‣ Schedules and maps need to be more prominent in the venue‣ Internet worked very well and is critical for a successful event‣ Sponsors interested in more visibility, especially booth size‣ Received many walk-up requests for registration, but lacked ability to process payments on-site. Also need to monitor badges more closely‣ Need for more space overall – general session, breakout rooms and hallways full – also made it noisy in breakout rooms – hotel rooms sold out / got expensive
4. OpenStack Summit PlansFall 2012
5. Dates‣ Folsom Release | September 27‣ Design Summit & Conference | October 15-18
6. Proposed Format‣ Design Summit runs Monday – Thursday with four blueprint-driven tracks + Related Projects + DevOps‣ Conference runs Tuesday & Wednesdays with 3-4 tracks, followed by workshops Thursday‣ General session for all attendees Tuesday & Wednesday mornings‣ Potential to add workshops Monday or Friday, or more Conference tracks Thursday‣ Space to organize development sprints Friday if anyone is interested
7. LunchEvening Morning Afternoon Design Summit DevOps Kickoff Related Projects Design Summit Monday Design Summit OpenStack Summit DevOps Commercial Ecosystem Session General Getting Started Tuesday Design Summit DevOps Community Building Session General OpenStack in Action Design Summit Design Summit Deployment Workskops Developing For OSAPI Wednesday Thursday
8. Location Search‣ Broad search for venue to accommodate 1,200 plus addition meeting space for parallel events‣ National search for venues including Anaheim, Denver, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, San Diego, Seattle and Vegas‣ Based on requirements (budget, space, etc.), best option is San Diego
9. San Diego‣ San Diego Manchester Grand Hyatt ‣ Best meeting space and ample hotel rooms – entire event can comfortably fit in one venue ‣ Comparable network infrastructure to San Francisco ‣ Great hotel room price, and more options nearby
10. Floor PlansGeneral SessionConference Sessions Exhibitor Area Second Floor Design Summit Sessions Main Floor
11. Registration‣ One registration system for both Design Summit & Conference‣ Discount or free registration for all code contributors‣ Fee waved for attendees that qualify for scholarship – non-profit, students, individual contributors‣ No invitation required or cap for Design Summit‣ Programming designed to route attendees to sessions that are the best fit rather than register for separate events
12. Speakers‣ Design Summit session topics still selected by technical leads through a specific website‣ Conference will again have call for presentations‣ More Conference breakout sessions and workshops - opportunities to speak‣ Would ideally like to set up crowdsource tool for speaking submissions (like SXSW panel picker) – any experience or ideas?
13. Sponsors‣ For the first time, dedicated exhibit area with larger booths for Headline and Premier sponsors‣ Finalizing sponsorship prospectus, which should be posted in the next few weeks‣ Limited availability sponsorships on a “first signed agreement” basis‣ Evening events again open to sponsors‣ Rackspace listed as organizer for the last time‣ Please contact email@example.com with any questions in the meantime
14. Summary of Changes for Fall Event‣ Design Summit running 4 days rather than 3 days to allow for more sessions without adding tracks‣ Design Summit & Conference running as parallel rather than consecutive events with two full days of Conference content‣ One system for registration and same price for both Design Summit & Conference attendees – no cap or invitation for DS‣ Hiring professional events firm to increase production quality and sponsor value‣ Breaking up the general session over two days for shorter session each day‣ Schedule more workshops, at least one full day
15. Summary of Changes for Fall Event‣ Design Summit running 4 days rather than 3 days to allow for more sessions without adding tracks‣ Design Summit & Conference running as parallel rather than consecutive events with two full days of Conference content‣ One system for registration and same price for both Design Summit & Conference attendees – no cap or invitation for DS‣ Hiring professional events firm to increase production quality and sponsor value‣ Breaking up the general session over two days for shorter session each day‣ Schedule more workshops, at least one full day
16. Spring 2013 Date & Location‣ Setting date much earlier, so we have more choice & negotiating power with venue‣ Ideally we can secure Spring 2013 venue and be ready to announce at Fall event‣ Tentatively looking at April 22-26, 2013 for the Spring conference according to release schedule‣ International event in 2013?