1. QR Codes,Location Based Services,& Augmented Realityfor Libraries Lauren Pressley | Z. Smith Reynolds Library | Wake Forest University August 4, 2011 | Elon University | LYRASIS Ideas & Insights
2. Augmented Reality Technology in action What it means for usAgenda
3. Augmented Reality Technology in action What it means for usAgenda
4. Augmented Reality Technology in action What it means for usAgenda
5. Augmented Reality1. What is it?2. Changes how people can access information3. Information literacy
7. “Augmented reality (AR) is a term for a live direct or anindirect view of a physical, real-world environment whoseelements are augmented by computer-generated sensory inputsuch as sound, video, graphics or GPS data. It is related to amore general concept called mediated reality, in which a view ofreality is modiﬁed (possibly even diminished rather thanaugmented) by a computer. As a result, the technology functionsby enhancing one’s current perception of reality. By contrast,virtual reality replaces the real world with a simulated one.” Wikipedia, August 2, 2011
8. “Augmented reality n. the use of technology which allowsthe perception of the physical world to be enhanced ormodiﬁed by computer-generated stimuli perceived with the aidof special equipment; reality as perceived in this way.” OED, draft edition, December 2005
9. “Augmented reality is the overlay of digital information onthe physical world.” lauren’s take on it
10. a physical thing withaddition information embedded in it,
11. app that merges web-based information with real life,
12. or even just an overlay on your television screen
13. “The future isalready here —its just not veryevenly distributed.” -William Gibson
17. Google changed how we interacted with the web.
18. Netﬂix changed how we accessed movies.
19. The Kindle changedhow we read books.
20. Information Literacy
21. “Information Literacy is the set of skillsneeded to ﬁnd, retrieve, analyze, and useinformation.” Association of College and Research Libraries
22. “Information Literacy is the set of skillsneeded to ﬁnd, retrieve, analyze, and useinformation.” Association of College and Research Libraries
23. “Information Literacy is the set of skillsneeded to ﬁnd, retrieve, analyze, and useinformation.” Association of College and Research Libraries
24. “Ultimately, information literate people arethose who have learned how to learn.They know how to learn because they knowhow knowledge is organized, how to ﬁndinformation, and how to use information insuch a way that others can learn from them.They are people prepared for lifelonglearning, because they can always ﬁnd theinformation needed for any task or decisionat hand.” American Library Association Presidential Committee on Information Literacy, January 10, 1989
25. preparing people to use new tools that comes along
26. Augmented Reality Technology in action What it means for usAgenda
27. Technology in Action1. QR Codes2. Location Based Services3. Augmented Reality
28. QR Codes
30. QR Codes: signs
31. QR Codes: buildings
32. QR Codes: library or business cards
33. QR Codes: products
34. QR Codes: novelty items
35. QR Codes: clothing
36. QR Codes: tattoos??
37. Location Based Services
39. Foursquare:an app
41. Foursquareas a game:•badges•points•mayorships•deals
83. Connecting Library Serviceslink from physical books to online resources
84. Connecting Library Services embed archives in the real world
85. Connecting Library Servicessupplement in marketing materials
86. Connecting Library Services It all starts with experimenting!
87. Augmented Reality Technology in action What it means for usAgenda
88. Photo CreditsDeﬁnitionsMinority Report Poster from Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Minority_Report.jpgTerminator 1984 Movie Poster from Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Terminator1984movieposter.jpgAR3 by Ian Truelove at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/cubistscarborough/2775306507/PLANETART work in MoMA, New York by PLANETART at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/PLANETART/5065846901/NFL Demo by Paul Mayne at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/paulm/2233026957/Baby Shower Super Bowl by Joe Shlabotnik at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/joeshlabotnik/2251964780WIlliam_Ford_Gibson from Wikipedia at http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/File:William_Ford_Gibson.jpgInformation EnvironmentMy Stack by archie4oz at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/halfaloafoftofu/102494538/My iPod Touch 8G with Macbook screen reﬂection by guccio@ at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/yggg/2141154996/Google Lego 50th Anniversary Inspiration by Antonio Manfredonio at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/manfrys/2226178289/NetFlix by Andrew Alforque at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/alforque/33028494/ebooks kindle amazon by Michael Porter at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/libraryman/2048264201/tcdisrupt_tc-5 by TechCrunch at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/TechCrunch/5743785861/Puzzling (R0012047) by Jon Lim at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/snowblink/3105218991/
89. Photo CreditsQR CodesTriOut Poster by Wayne Sutton at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/waynesutton/5137889651/Times Square - cotobre 2010 by QRious Code at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/QRiousCODE/5111237485/library loaner card with QR code by Matias Singers at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/MatiasSingers/4890601028/I am a PaperCamp Cup. by Jeremy Keith at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/adactio/3203904948/QR Code Cupcakes by Clever Cupcakes at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/clevercupcakes/4397152402/Me being QR Scanned by Finnur Magnusson at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/51035769372@N01/5526008766/QR Code Temporary Tattoo SCANS!!! by Scott Blake at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/17144770@N00/5036227559/Location BasedSo this happened by dennis crowley at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/dpstyles/4667273216/Holy crap! Just spotted @foursquare in Apples new iPhone "pet ﬁnder" ad! by dennis crowley at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/dpstyles/4539944714/Foursquare by Esther Vargas at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/24614969@N04/5445471198/Ooofah. by JulianBleecker at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/JulianBleecker/4176401036/Gowalla CEO, Josh Williams, shows off his iPhone app by Robert Scoble at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/scobleizer/4422080446/122of365[NTR23] by ntr23 at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/ntr23/4581501569/Toy Blocks by Jo Carter at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/angelsk/4029290591/
90. Photo CreditsAnother new Gowalla item > Kettle #14 by Jo Carter at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/angelsk/3928211203/DSC_0076.JPG by Andrew Feinberg at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/andrewfeinberg/2324843973/Nice try Facebook Places (while in London). Thanks, but Ill stick with @Foursquare :) by paulamarttilaat http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/paulamarttila/5004565054/Facebook Places by Erik Morner at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/morner/4971281236/A Great Day At Google! by Trey Ratcliff at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/stuckincustoms/5991453746/Google+ by Tim Ubial at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/timubial/5948934309/Google+ by Ruben Bonache at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/will-smith/5936990473/JeremyStoppelman,Yelp by Dow Jones Events at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/djevents/5149042591/Yelp Icon by yelp.com at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/yelp/5540543936/The grid of icons seems to be an emerging trend in iPhone apps. by Joshua Kaufman at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/joshuakaufman/4285859919/IMG_0228 by Kramchang at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/kramchang/5723714527/Augmented RealityWikitude by szlagor at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/szlagor/4669872860/Noticings Layar by James Bridle at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/STML/4270806401/Information Environment pt. 2Catalogue by Cher Amio at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/underpuppy/4703228Pulling Out THe Cantos. by Patrick Gage Kelley at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/patrickgage/3213873373
91. Photo Credits20080727-_DSC2896 Horton Harvest by Clifton Beard at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/11444813@N03/2721443285A Nice Place to Stay on the Internet by Thomas Hawk at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/thomashawk/76761120An apple with the logo of Google made with laser by Ana Belen Ramon at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/missha/2209205063Day 301/365-I Have Been Assimilated by Kevin Harber at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/kevharb/3794113704/Library ServicesZSRLibrary by Ken BennettMy Desk by Simon Starr at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/simonstarr/2610457820Nr Symonds Yat, Gloucestershire 25-05-2008 by David Jones at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/dgjones/2527968094/Playing with Wikitude outside the Bank of England by Francis Storr at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/fstorr/4028545211/Lost in Tagging by Alexandre Dulaunoy at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/adulau/2124178869Dropbox by Johan Larsson at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/johanl/4580058581/DISH (Digital Heritage Strategies) 2011 Advisory Board Meeting by DISH2011 at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/dish2011/5465927990/P1000665DISH (Digital Heritage Strategies) 2011 Advisory Board Meeting by DISH2011 at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/dish2011/5465923320/
92. Photo CreditsUse in LibrariesDay 180: in the stacks by Laura Taylor at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/bookgrl/1348356383/A Quick Tour of Philosophy by Steve Fernie at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/albinoﬂea/362125635/iPad library by Ownipics at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/Ownipics/4838107868/Urban Visions Book: A Coruna by a r e s at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/rlares/3615900549/Chorley by Lancashire County Council at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/lancashirecc/5208354373/QR Coe at Mulvane Art Museum by David Lee King at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/davidking/5055325064/BlackBerry Storm Smartphone by Cheon Fong Liew at http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/liewcf/3547134847/
93. Questions?Comments?Lauren Pressleyhttp://twitter.com/laurenpressleyhttp://firstname.lastname@example.org Interested in QR Codes? See http://guides.zsr.wfu.edu/qrcodes!