Update on a History Project.
By
Larry Roeder, MS
16 February 2014

1
Contact Larry Roeder
 703-867-2056
 roederaway@yahoo.com






Please share photos, oral
histories and artifacts.
The...










Emperor Marcus Aurelius, Meditations,
written between 170 and 180 AD.

But what if our songs, records and a...








Early residents led difficult, brave
lives.
Their history is almost forgotten
in Loudoun.
You can help preserv...






The land was settled around 1715 in the Elk Lick area, then
known simply as Arcola.
Conklin was also known as sou...
Conklin is named for white landowner Joseph
Conklin of Pennsylvania who purchased over 100
acres from Horace Adee in 1871....











People migrated to Conklin from nearby
locations like Fairfax and Prince William
Counties.
Whites and fre...




We have focused on some
African-Americans who moved
here between 1850 and 1854
with white farmer Hampton
Brewer of P...


The unmarked Brewer Cemetery probably holds the
bodies of Hampton Brewer and some of the cluster.
It is on Ticonderoga ...









Alexander Allen, 1854
Amanda Allen, 1857
Betsy Allen, (perhaps the matriarch), 1854
Martha Allen, 1857
Ma...


All were registered as free in 1854 and 1857.

You can find these in the
Loudoun County Court Archives in Leesburg.
11
Conklin is not incorporated, unlike Middleburg and
Leesburg; so these “boundaries” are “suggestive” for
research purposes....
Many suggest Elk Lick Bridge (south of the town hall in South Riding) as the tip of traditional
Conklin. This was a creaky...






Braddock road from the Fairfax
County line to the junction of Old
Elk Lick Road.
This includes the Cardinal Ridge...


Many people lived up and down Elk Lick Road.
Please share photographs and stories with us.
Who were they and what did
t...




This runs from Elk Lick to Gum Spring, then
down to south tip of Ticonderogga.
Did you are your family live along th...
Prosperity Baptist, started by
Jennie Dean, originally across
Braddock.

Ronny Arnold’s home next to
the church

Does anyo...


We are not certain
how far south to go,
but have included
the old Hampton
Brewer property and
the land along
Ticonderog...




Life for the cluster and descendants was hard work and
poor wages, so they kept track of all expenses.

Many traded ...


Artifacts help us understand daily life.

20
Farming was dominant.
Many lived in cabins, one of which (right) built
around 1820, has been preserved on the
Loudoun Coun...
• No buses for African-Americans until 1941.
• Children from Willard (at today’s Dulles
Airport) stayed in Conklin during ...



Education has been a core community strength.
The legacy began with Jennie Dean, a freed slave
from Prince William Co...




We want to know about anyone who studied
at the “Conklin Colored School.”
 To help, we need stories about the stude...




African-Americans were not allowed public schools or
churches before the end of the Civil War; but
churches abounded...


Who served our nation?

James Gaskins, an African-American
registered as free by Brewer. James joined
the 39th Colored ...


Since Buildings have been disappearing, we
would like to design attractive metal signs to
mark the location of Prosperi...









The land was pioneered mostly by migrating
whites in the 18th century but by the 19th century
had both Afric...




Larry Roeder is a retired
diplomat and historian living
in South Riding.
He has a strong interest in
civil rights an...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

History of Conklin, Virginia

710 views
581 views

Published on

Briefing on the history of Conklin, Loudoun County Virginia, as part of Black History month, 2014.

Published in: Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
710
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
2
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

History of Conklin, Virginia

  1. 1. Update on a History Project. By Larry Roeder, MS 16 February 2014 1
  2. 2. Contact Larry Roeder  703-867-2056  roederaway@yahoo.com    Please share photos, oral histories and artifacts. These will help document the history of Conklin and the Prosperity Baptist Church. 2
  3. 3.      Emperor Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, written between 170 and 180 AD. But what if our songs, records and art were lost? Then the echoes might disappear. Dr. Carter G. Woodson understood that we must preserve those echoes and honor our ancestors. Thanks to Dr. Woodson, Americans have recognized black history annually since 1926, first as "Negro History Week" and now as “Black History Month.” In the Black History tradition, the Conklin Study is an effort to preserve the history of the Prosperity Baptist Church and Conklin. 3
  4. 4.     Early residents led difficult, brave lives. Their history is almost forgotten in Loudoun. You can help preserve their echoes; but we must also keep in mind that not everyone who attends Prosperity today descends from the people we are focusing on in this talk. Local “Black History” is a large and very important story which should to told in its entirity. 4
  5. 5.    The land was settled around 1715 in the Elk Lick area, then known simply as Arcola. Conklin was also known as south Broad Run, a former magisterial district. Today we are in the Dulles District. Sources of information are descendants of pioneers, local historians, the Balch Library, County Court Archives in Leesburg, School archives and many other repositories in the region. Balch Library Court Archives Interviews 5
  6. 6. Conklin is named for white landowner Joseph Conklin of Pennsylvania who purchased over 100 acres from Horace Adee in 1871. The first store was built in 1890 and also housed the first post office. Conklin and his wife owned the store and took over the post office in 1892, which burned down in 1910 and moved to Bull Run Post Office Road. The post office then switched to Arcola in 1917. The grave of Conklin and others is in a cemetery off of Braddock Road on the North side of Longacre Drive near the western edge of Conklin. 6
  7. 7.       People migrated to Conklin from nearby locations like Fairfax and Prince William Counties. Whites and free African-Americans lived side by side; but slavery was an issue before the Civil War and segregation a problem later. If a slave was freed, he or she had to be registered every year by a white person or possibly sold back into servitude. If a freed slave borrowed money and didn’t pay it back, he or she could be sold again, though this was rare. Photo of escaped slave* from Mississippi named Gordon when he Punishment could be tough. joined the Union Army. Photo Education was difficult. distributed throughout the Army. The photo above became a symbol of the awful nature of slavery. Although the owner fired the man who beat the slave, the fact remains that slaves had no rights. 7
  8. 8.   We have focused on some African-Americans who moved here between 1850 and 1854 with white farmer Hampton Brewer of Prince-William and Fairfax. They started on property Brewer purchased in 1854 just below what is now the Lundsford Middle School, along the east side of Ticonderoga Road. 8
  9. 9.  The unmarked Brewer Cemetery probably holds the bodies of Hampton Brewer and some of the cluster. It is on Ticonderoga Farms at the south side of the Lundsford Bus Parking lot and east of Ticonderoga Road. Notice field stones to left, typical of the area and the ornate stone (right), which is less common. 9
  10. 10.         Alexander Allen, 1854 Amanda Allen, 1857 Betsy Allen, (perhaps the matriarch), 1854 Martha Allen, 1857 Mary Allen, 1854 Narcissa Allen, 1854 William Allen, 1854 Jas Gaskins,1857. Some descended from slaves freed in 1791 by Robert Carter of Westmoreland County. Only Lincoln freed more slaves. 10
  11. 11.  All were registered as free in 1854 and 1857. You can find these in the Loudoun County Court Archives in Leesburg. 11
  12. 12. Conklin is not incorporated, unlike Middleburg and Leesburg; so these “boundaries” are “suggestive” for research purposes. We need your help on accuracy.     North: Elk Lick bridge in South Riding. West: Gum Spring Road. East: Fairfax County Line along Braddock. South: Between Braddock Road and the junction of Buffalo Run Lane & Bull Run Post Office Road. 12
  13. 13. Many suggest Elk Lick Bridge (south of the town hall in South Riding) as the tip of traditional Conklin. This was a creaky wooden bridge, but now is a concrete structure over the South Riding golf course. It wasn’t until 1956 that Elk Lick was paved from Route 50 into Conklin. The road had been known as Rector’s Road, after a family on the road’s upper reaches in the 1920’s. Before that, it was called New Cut Road, first cut through about 1885. Elk Lick now turns into Donovan and then First Frost before intersecting Braddock. Prosperity Church is at the corner of First Frost and Braddock on the west side. 13
  14. 14.    Braddock road from the Fairfax County line to the junction of Old Elk Lick Road. This includes the Cardinal Ridge school property, once owned by the Allen’s, a family in our study. The most recent owners were Laverne R. Grant and CT Perkins. We need local history stories about the farm 14
  15. 15.  Many people lived up and down Elk Lick Road. Please share photographs and stories with us. Who were they and what did they do for a living? After being abandoned, many houses were burned down by Fire Department, such as an Allen home (left) on Elk Lick. 15
  16. 16.   This runs from Elk Lick to Gum Spring, then down to south tip of Ticonderogga. Did you are your family live along that route? Do you remember the store at the corner of Gum Spring and Braddock? 16
  17. 17. Prosperity Baptist, started by Jennie Dean, originally across Braddock. Ronny Arnold’s home next to the church Does anyone remember the people who lived here before Mr. Arnold? We understand they were immigrants from Africa. 17
  18. 18.  We are not certain how far south to go, but have included the old Hampton Brewer property and the land along Ticonderoga running south and west to Gum Spring. 18
  19. 19.   Life for the cluster and descendants was hard work and poor wages, so they kept track of all expenses. Many traded in chickens, butter and wheat , or did services like laundry and road repair. . Do you have old letters and ledgers? 19
  20. 20.  Artifacts help us understand daily life. 20
  21. 21. Farming was dominant. Many lived in cabins, one of which (right) built around 1820, has been preserved on the Loudoun County Parkway across from its original location. Charles W. Dean worked as a slave for Thomas Settle in Conklin for many years. Mr. Settle then willed the 142-acre property to Dean and his descendants in 1886. Typical early farm construction found on grounds of Cardinal Hill 21
  22. 22. • No buses for African-Americans until 1941. • Children from Willard (at today’s Dulles Airport) stayed in Conklin during the week, walked to school every day, then walked home on weekends. Some studied in Manassas at Jennie Dean’s school or in Washington, DC. The Conklin Colored School was opened in 1873 and operated until 1941) on Ticonderoga Road (below), and eventually burned down. 22
  23. 23.   Education has been a core community strength. The legacy began with Jennie Dean, a freed slave from Prince William County who brought schools to African-Americans in several counties, including Loudoun, and started the Prosperity Baptist Church. The teachers we have focused on are Christine Allen and Mary Dean Johnson, who taught at Greggsville, Conklin and Bull Run segregated schools between 1927 and 1941. However, the proud tradition continues today with people like Patricia Dean, who educates children in South Riding. 23
  24. 24.   We want to know about anyone who studied at the “Conklin Colored School.”  To help, we need stories about the students. We also need to know how students got there (walking in the early days), about food, the teaching, etc.  Do you have old lesson plans? 24
  25. 25.   African-Americans were not allowed public schools or churches before the end of the Civil War; but churches abounded after, and often were Baptist. One in Conklin is Prosperity Baptist Church on Braddock Road, established by Jennie Dean, a former slave, who set up a school in Manassas and churches in the region to teach religion, math and reading. There are many graves at the church, including some from the cluster’s descendants. 25
  26. 26.  Who served our nation? James Gaskins, an African-American registered as free by Brewer. James joined the 39th Colored Infantry, organized in 1864 in Baltimore, Maryland and saw the siege of Petersburg in Virginia and the battles of Wilmington and Fort Fisher in North Carolina. LeRoy (Lee Roy) Allen also served in the 3rd US Colored Infantry. Others served in World War One and other conflicts. Please tell us about veterans in your family, especially those who served in the Civil War and World War One. Mount Zion Cemetery, Leesburg. 26
  27. 27.  Since Buildings have been disappearing, we would like to design attractive metal signs to mark the location of Prosperity Baptist Church, the Conklin Colored School, the Brewer Cemetery, the old Post Office and the boundaries. 27
  28. 28.      The land was pioneered mostly by migrating whites in the 18th century but by the 19th century had both African-Americans and whites. People made most of their money from farming. Slavery and prejudice made life for AfricanAmericans difficult; but they overcame hurdles, sought an education and the descendants have prospered. Descendants of the white and African-American farmers still live in Loudoun and around the region and are proud of their joint heritage. We wish to document that history, but need your help. 28
  29. 29.   Larry Roeder is a retired diplomat and historian living in South Riding. He has a strong interest in civil rights and local histories, which he gained while living in Africa, the Middle East, Asia and Europe.  Larry Roeder  26128 Talamore Drive  South Riding, Va 20152  roederaway@yahoo.com 29

×