Quick Attach Summary
Adding Ancestors and Sources from Record Search to FT
1. The Quick Attach feature works with attaching all Source information to Family Tree (FT) and adding family
members from US Census Records from 1850 to 1940.
2. US Census records of 1850, 1860 and 1870 do not identify family member relationships such as husband,
wife and children. For this reason, wife and children must be manually selected from the census and
entered into family tree as shown in this tutorial.
3. US Census records 1880 thru 1940 identify family member relationships which allows the Quick Attach
feature to add the wife and children to the father for new family members not currently in Family Tree
(using +Add), as well as adding their source information (Attach) more conveniently as shown in this
4. Marriage, Birth and Death Records will only allow attaching a Source, I could find no way to attach these
vital records to Family Tree using the Quick Attach feature.
5. The feature of adding ancestors and sources from Record Search to FT appears to not function for persons
in our FT that were added using the feature “Add Unconnected Person”
6. A free internet program located at https://puzzilla.org/ can assist in these matters . Review the 2 excellent
videos given at the above web site. The only browsers I could find to work with this web site were Google
Chrome and Mozilla Firefox
7. After exhausting your search for ancestors, you might try locating a descendant male or female of
marriageable age in your own genealogy (with or without a spouse and no children). Puzzilla.org might
help you find such information, to complete these exercises. Begin with your pedigree line first and after
exhausting all efforts to locate ancestors along your pedigree line, your can start researching your
Table of Contents
This Table of Contents outlines the beginning point for three major feature in this tutorial as
follows: notice that the starting slide for each of these features is hyperlinked
1. Search for Ancestor using Search Records in Research Help Slide 3
This tutorial is representative of US Census Records 1880 thru 1940 that DO identify family
member relationships such as husband, wife and children
2. Attach Sources and add Family Members of 1930 Census to Family Tree Slide 7
This tutorial is representative of US Census Records 1850, 1860 and 1870 that DO NOT identify
family member relationships such as husband, wife and children
3. Attach Sources and add Family Members of 1860 Census to Family Tree Slide 15
This tutorial attaches a marriage source to husband and wife
4. Attach Marriage Source to husband and wife Slide 27
Locate Ancestors in FT without children and/or spouse to Add to FT
Using the above methods mentioned in the Foreword on the previous page, I located
an ancestor at PID L66T-69V that I will demonstrate using Google Chrome.
1. Enter PID number and click Find
NOTE: Insure Find menu selected first
2. Click name of
William E. Sparks
3. Click PERSON
Search Records for Ancestor
4. Click Search Records
Open Search Record
5. Click Will E. Sparks hyperlink on 1930 Census Record
Attach 1930 Census to Family Tree Record for Father
6. Click Attach to Family Tree to add source record to Will (step 1 of 2)
Attach Record to Father
NOTE: Notice that Name. Birth and Gender will be tagged with this Source
7. Click Attach To attach this source to William Sparks
8. Click Review once and do not click again. Be patient for the Review process of your
computer to complete.
Attach Wife Record to Family Tree (1 of 2)
9. Click attach to attach 1930 Census to source for wife Emily Sparks
Attach Wife Record to Family Tree (2 of 2)
10. Click Attach
Add Son Loyd Sparks to Family Tree
NOTE: Source for Emily Sparks can be removed by virtue of “Detach?” being clicked
11. Click Add to add Loyd Sparks to the family of William E. Sparks in Family Tree
Create New Person for Loyd Sparks in Family Tree
12. Click Living or Deceased
13. Click Create New Person button
that will be enabled upon
clicking Living or Deceased
Loyd Sparks Attached to Family Tree
NOTE: Loyd Sparks attached to Family Tree
14. Click Attach to attach Source to Loyd Sparks
Significance of Symbol for Raymond and Wendell Sparks
NOTE: The comment associated with clicking on the symbol above not only signifies that this
person already exists in Family Tree with an identifying PID number, but also that this name is
attached to another family OR it could signify that this name exists in Family Tree without an
attachment to a family. These two names above should be checked for duplicates as well as the
families they are currently linked to. In addition the symbol can signify that a source cannot be
attached to a living individual.
Add Sources and Members of 1860 Census to Family Tree
When John Exom is Searched by PID number, notice View in Family Tree signifies his Source already attached.
Attach to Family Tree would signify that the Source record had not been attached, but you cannot
attach a source to a family member who has not yet been added to Family Tree.
1. Click on hyperlinked name
of John Exom
View Family Members of 1860 Census Record
2. Click on Open to view family members being part of the 11 Records
Add Source of Wife Charlotte
3. Click and hold the left-mouse down on wife Charlotte Exom
Click, Move and Drop Census Record for Charlotte
NOTE: Notice how Charlotte was clicked, moved and dropped to the left of the yellow bar for Charlotte in
Click “Attach” to Attach Source to Charlotte
4. Click “Attach” to Attach Source for Charlotte to Charlotte in Family Tree.
NOTE: Notice how the exclamation mark indicates “This relationship has been defined by a user, and is not
supported by the record” which simply means that this 1860 census record (along with the 1850 and 1870
census records) did not identify family relationships like wife, sons and daughters.
Click Attach Again to attach Source for Charlotte
5. Click Attach Again to attach Source for Charlotte.
NOTE: I am not sure where the +Add sends the Residence Record for Charlotte in Family Tree.
Select 1st Child Mahala Exon to add to Family Tree
1. Click and hold the left-mouse down on the 1st child Mahala Exom
Move Child to Position to Add to Family Tree
2. Notice how Mahala Exom was clicked and dropped to the yellow bar below the Children gray bar.
Add Mahala to Family Tree
3. Click +Add to add Mahala Exom as a child to her parents
NOTE: The symbol has the same definition as explained previously.
Create New Person to Add Mahala as a Child
4. Click Living or Deceased Radial Button to enable the Create New Person button
7. Click enabled Create New Person button
Attach Source for child Mahala that has been added to FT
NOTE: Observe that Mahala has been attached to Family Tree
The Attach shown here simply indicated that the source for Mahala has not been attached yet.
55. Click Attach to attach this Source to Mahala
Slide Shows Mahala Atached to Family Tree
NOTES: You can change the Focus person for the Family Tree record by clicking here.
You can change the Focus person for the Family Tree record by clicking here.
You can view the parents of John Exom by clicking Open here.
Search for Marriage Record
1. Click Search Records
Locate Marriage Record Source
2. Click the hyperlinked Marriage Record for Thomas P. Jones.
Attach Source to Family Tree
3. Click Attach to Family Tree to source the marriage record to Thomas
Attach Marriage Record Source to Thomas
4. Click Attach
Attach Marriage Record for Wife
NOTE: Observe that the marriage record for Thomas is already attached.
6. Click Attach to source wife
Click Attach Again to attach Marriage Record
7. Click +Add to add the marriage event to Source Record for Ann Cochran
NOTE: Clicking +Add does NOT add the marriage information to the couple in the marriage field
but to the source for Ann.
Marriage Record Added to Ann Cochran
NOTE: Notice marriage event added to source record for Ann Cochran
8. Click Attach to attach Marriage Record Source to Ann
Task Completed for Sourcing Marriage Record Event