1. On the surface, I’m just anotherengineer… Image courtesy of: http://blueprints.tumblr.com/ Jane Vu, 2012
2. …underneath, I come from a Vietnamese refugeefamily that struggled to re-build a life in America.
3. As a first generation college student…I struggled to navigate through the competitive application process withvery limited resources. College Grades $Debt$ SATs Image courtesy of: http://blog.hotdesign.com/2009/02/marketing-treasure-map/
4. Fortunately, with the loving support of…my family, teachers, and friends, I worked my way to earn a Regent Scholarship at the university of my choice.
5. Since then…I’ve become an advocate for education, working as a tutor for over 8 yearsto help students from disadvantaged backgrounds pursue higher learningand creating resources to help them realize this dream. My partnershipswith the following organizations (shown below) have created a platform tohelp me share my passion for learning with others: Image courtesy of: http://www.itrendous.blogspot.com/ Image courtesy of: http://www.thehelpgroup.org/
6. … and I help build CommunitiesI would not be where I am todaywithout a supportive communityby my side that encouraged me topursue my dreams. I am a firmbeliever of giving back andstrongly rooted in building strongcommunities that serve the bestinterests of its members bycreating resources that meet theirneeds. I have been blessed withthe opportunity to work as acounselor/ mentor for the UCLAOrientation Programs and acommunity advisor for UCLA Orientation Fun: Giving campus tours to new students, in costume.Apartments.
7. To answer your question….Q: How will I contribute to the community?A: To put it simply, I put a lot of heart and care into my work. My goal is to build a better tomorrow, and wherever I am called to make that positive difference, I won’t hesitate to roll up my sleeves and help out. I find more strength with a supportive community by my side, and almost every problem becomes insurmountable… with a little more brainstorming, of course.
8. Wait, that’s not all…I actively seek long-lasting, meaningful relationships, and I hope that StartingBloc will be one more stop that will allow me to do so.