3. Causes of Filipino Revolts
1. The desire to regain our lost
2.The Spanish abuses/oppression.
4. 3. Agrarian complaints or the loss of
the Filipino lands.
4. The Religious intolerance of the
5. All Revolts, from Lakandula to
Apolinario Dela Cruz had failed.
There were two reasons why our
early revolts against Spain failed:
6. 1.The Absence of Nationalism
2.Lack of National Leaders.
7. The Meaning of Nationalism
• Nationalism is simply love of country
with all its inhabitants.
• A state of awareness that a nation does
exist and is made of people who owe
allegiance not only to a tribe, clan, or
region nor to any religious or political
8. Factors that contributed to
the birth of Filipino
1.The opening of the Philippines to the
international or world trade.
2. The Rise of the middle class.
3.The secularization controversy.
4.The influx of Liberal ideas from
9. 5. The Opening of the Suez Canal.
(Ferdinand De Lesseps)
7. The Martyrdom of Gomburza.
10. Propaganda Movement
The unjust execution of fathers
Mariano Gomez, Jose Burgos, and
Jacinto Zamora was a turning point
in the history of the Philippines.
It marked the beginning of
a new era as the propaganda period.
11. Propaganda Movement
A peaceful campaign
organization using literary
endeavor as mouthpiece to
publicize the political,
economic and religious
problems in the colony.
12. Among their specific goals
>Representation of the
Philippines in the
>Secularization of the clergy;
13. >Legalization of Spanish and
>Creation of a public school
system independent of the
14. >Abolition of the polo(labor
service) and bandala (forced sale
of local products to the
>Guarantee of basic freedom of
speech and association
>Equal opportunity for Filipinos
and Spaniards to enter
•He died of
16. Dr. Jose P. Rizal
Rizal was shot
to death by a
firing squad at
17. In1889 he started the
circulated both in Spain
and the Philippines and
was the medium of the
18. Marcelo H. del Pilar(1850-1896))
analyst of the
produced by the
•Editor of La
19. Literatures of the Propaganda
• Marcelo H. del Pilar
• Diariong Tagalog, Caiingat Cayo, La
Frailocracia en Filipinas, Dasalan at Toksohan,
and La Sobrenia Monacal, dudas, Pasiong
Dapat Ipag-alab ng Taong Babasa, Dupluhan,
Sagot ng Espania sa Hibik ng Filipinas, and
Kadakilaan ng Diyos.
20. Graciano Lopez Jaena
• La Solidaridad, Fray Botod, Esperaza, and La
Hija del Fraile.
• Noli Me Tangere, El Filibusterismo, The
Indolence of the Filipinos, Philippines a
Century Hence, To the Filipino Youth, and Mi
Ultimo Adios. And the Organization of La Liga
21. Used pen names:
Rizal: Dimasalang and Laong Laan;
Mariano Ponce: Tikbalang, Naning
Antonio Luna: Taga-ilog;
Marcelo H. del Pilar: Plaridel
Jose Ma. Panganiban: Jomapa
22. Ang La Solidaridad ang naging
pangalan ng isang samahan ng mga
Pilipinong ilustrado sa Espanya na
naghangad na magkaroon ng
representasyon ang Pilipinas sa
23. Reasons for the failure of the
When the time came the financial
support from the Philippines gradually
lessened until finally it was put to an end;
Due to leadership crisis;
24. With the failure of the
the Filipinos gave up the
last ditch of hope to
peaceful means. Andres
Bonifacio led the Filipinos
to a new phase of social
and political awareness
marked by the founding of