1. Northope Fry: Archetypal Criticism
Paper:Literary Theory & Criticism: The
20th Western & Indian Poetics – 2
Prepared By: Lajja Bhatt
Guided by: Dr. Dilip Barad
Maharaja Krishnakumarsihji Bhavnagar
2. What is Archetype?
• Recurrent narrative designs,
• Patterns of action,
• Character types,
Which are identifiable in a wide variety of….
4. What is Archetype?
• According to Carl .G . Jung(1875-1961) it is
‘Primordial Images’ and ‘Psychic Residue’.
• Maintained & survive in the ‘Collective
• Expressed in myths, religious, dreams & private
• And work of Literature..
5. Archetypal Criticism
• The archetypal criticism emphasize the
occurrence of mythical patterns in literature,
on the assumption that myths are closest to
the elemental archetype than the artful
manipulation of sophisticated writers.
• Theme of Death - famous as the archetype of
-Reflected in the Cycle of
seasons & Human Life
- Occurred in primitive rituals of
the being who is annually
6. Archetypal Criticism
• Another themes are –The Journey Underground
- The Heavenly Ascent
- The Search
- The Paradise/Hades
- The Scapegoat
- The Earth Gods
- The Fatal Woman
7. Northope Frye
• Northope Frye’s works helps displace ‘New
Criticism’ as the major mode of analyzing literary
texts before giving way to structuralism &
• Totality of literary works constitute a “Self-
Contained Literary Universe”.
• It play variations upon a number of more limited
archetypes. The type that literature shares are all
“discursive verbal structures’.
8. Archetypal Criticism
• Literature plays essential role to refreshing the
Universal material into Verbal univrse which is
intelligible & Viable
• Literary work constitutes a ‘ Self Constrained
• It has ben created over the ages by human
• It catches the crystal clear images of alien and
indifferent world of nature.
9. Archetypal Criticism
• There are four mythoi or plot forms in the cycle of
10. Archetypal Criticism
• The context of the genre determines five different
spheres to his schema.
11. Archetypal Criticism
Human Wish fulfillment Isolation
Animals Domestic Hunters
Vegetation Gardena, Parks Wild Forest, Bein
Minerals Cities, Precious
Water River Sea, Water
12. Archetypes in Literature
• Two Major categories: Characters & Situations
• In Humans – Hero
- The Scapegoat
– Star-crossed Lovers
- The Shrew
• - Female Fatal
13. Archetypes in Literature
• In Situations/Symbols – The Task
- The Quest
- The Loss of innocence
– Water -The Numbers
- River -The wise old man
• - Sun - Garden
-Colours - Tree
• -Desert - Creation
• - Great Fish - Freud’s symbolism
14. Archetypes in Literature
The Archetypal Images are the images lies in human
mind deeply as it preserves from many years.
It is cultivating since long back from the
surroundings, intuitions, Nature, Lost skills and
It symbolizes the behavioural Pattern of human race
and the earthly things which is Universal.