Tulare County Child and
By: Elaine Ramos
Agency Vision, Mission, & Values
• Agency Vision: Health children & adults, Supportive families, thriving communities.
• Mission: Tulare County Health & Human Services Agency is dedicated to protecting &
strengthening being of the community through development of effective polices, and
services delivered in a cultural & linguistically competent manner.
• Values: HHSA sponsors services & polices that are: collaborative, community-driven,
• HHSA promotes services delivery that is: culturally competent, respectful, a model of
• HHSA supports a working environment that demonstrates: diversity, integrity, teamwork &
mutual respect, account, staff development & recognition.
Populations-at- risk whose needs the agency
• Young mothers & children
• The needs and concerns of foster
families, children, parents, and
• Children at risk families with
domestic violence, mental health,
with alcohol & drug abuse.
Deception of the community context
of the agency:
• Geographic Community served by HHSA: is Tulare County, which is any
town/ city in Tulare county. Pixley, Tulare, Visalia, Porterville, Farmersville
• The income level HHSA serves are families that are on public assistance, the
care considered low-Socio Economic level. They usually make under
$12,000-$16,000 a year.
• Demographic groups that live in the community: low-income families,
diverse ethnic such as Hispanics , African Americans, White , American
Indian, Asian, Multiracial. HHSA works with all ages from new born babies
to their adult parents in offering them services. They work with foster teens
as well basically children and families that need help as a family dealing with
• Transportation: Most people travel to the agency in a bus, they get a ride, or
they have their own car.
• HHSA is very actively involved with the community.
• Other agencies & organizations that the agency interacts with are; the Family
Resource Center, CASA, Tulare Youth Services Burro, Foster Family
Assistance, Parenting Network, Alcohol & Other Drugs Treatment &
Prevention Services, C-Set, California Children Services, Drug & Preventions
Services, Medi-Cal, TCMC Eligibility Unit, and Mental Health Services
Description of the Services provided by
• Family Resource Center helps with EVERYTHING, helps them get a job
(C-Set is which organization helps with this, they work together), housing,
paying bills, education, counseling, parenting classes, ect.
• TCMC Eligibility Unit- helps with looking at the family to see if they are
eligible for services such as aid and state money (foster care provider).
• The rest of the organizations that help are common but if you do not know
what they do feel free to ask
Organized Structure of HHSA
• HHSA is a deductive agency where the one on top gives every one else the work so
everything goes downwards. If you are not close to the top you will get to do the
• HHSA is a public agency and has a board of supervisors.
• Top management positions: Deputy of Human Health & Services, Supervisors,
Lead Worker, and Manager.
• Job Positions Held: office assistance, Child Welfare Assistance, Social Workers( E.R.,
on-going, ILP, AB12, Group Homes, ect) Clinicians, security guards, court writers.
• Supervision of front of the line workers & interns: it varies because there is not one
person in charge there are many so it depends what unit you are in and what area in
• In HHSA the role of a client is: to comply with the services that are offered to
• In HHSA the role of the constituents is: is find the best services that will help the
clients they are working with succeed in whatever it may be they want, to get their
children back, to get therapy, to get assistance, a bus pass, take parenting classes, ect.
Organization functions in terms of
Social Work Values
• They proved the services that the
client needs and the workers look
for the resources to help their
• The workers put the needs of their
clients first and try their best to
• There are forms in any different
languages in the agency, there are
interrupters on hand in case the
workers need one.
• Clients also sign language rights forms
to let the worker know which language
they prefer all of their paper work in.
• The workers work with their clients
schedules the most they can.
• They encourage them to keep up
with their case plan, and tell them
that they will succeed.
• Clients have human rights, everything
is done by the law at the agency. I just
feel that they should have more say in
the process but in most case they lose
rights to their children so that is gone.
They just don’t have parent rights but
they have civil& political rights,
collective rights, & economic, social &
culture rights at the agency.
Government of Yukon Canada
• Mission Statement: The mission of the Department of Health & Social
Services commits the department & its employees to quality health & social
services for Yukons.
• Vision: Helping individuals acquire the skills to live responsible, health, &
independent lives and providing a range of accessible, affordable services
that assist individuals, families & communities to reach their full potential.
• This agency offers the same services that Tulare County Welfare does they
just have different names but it is the same thing.
Pictures up in the agency
Zayas, Alicia. Salavin, Bron. Interviews. 2013 October