1. Blogs Finding Your Coalition Voice Expanding Your Coalition Channel June 19, 2008
2. Sue Stine Sr. Manager of Dissemination & Coalition Relations CADCA [email_address] LaDonna Coy Social Media & Virtual Learning Consultant Learning for Change, Inc. [email_address]
3. What We’ll Do Today <ul><li>Define “Blog”? </li></ul><ul><li>Look at where blogs fit in Social Media? </li></ul><ul><li>The Research says! </li></ul><ul><li>How blogs are being used? </li></ul><ul><li>How to get started? </li></ul>
4. Do you remember …
5. Do you remember …. Photo: anthonylibrarian
6. Photo: amber rhea
7. And now … Photo: enfa Photo: Matt Brett
8. What do all have in common? Photo: amber rhea
9. So, what’s a blog? Photo: Kazze
10. What’s a Blog?
11. <ul><li>Which of the following do you currently </li></ul><ul><li>do online? </li></ul><ul><li>Read blogs </li></ul><ul><li>Comment on blogs </li></ul><ul><li>Host a blog </li></ul><ul><li>Not sure? </li></ul>
12. Why coalitions blog Photo: yoshi What is Social Media all about? It’s about connecting . No, it’s about community . Isn’t it about Conversation ? What about openness Nah, it’s about participation .
13. Social Media Pie Video Audio Photos Bookmarks Wikis Social Networks Events Blogs Photo: kevandem The Social Media ∏ RSS
14. The Survey Said! Photo: liz_com1981
17. <ul><li>Creators </li></ul><ul><li>Critics </li></ul><ul><li>Collectors </li></ul><ul><li>Joiners </li></ul><ul><li>Spectators </li></ul><ul><li>Inactives </li></ul>Which of these describes your online activity best?
18. What a Blog does for you? Photo: eggman
19. Flavors of Blogging Photo: Steve Wampler RANT! OpEd Recycle News Inform
23. Photo: yoshi What is Blogging about? It’s about connecting . No, it’s about community . Isn’t it about Conversation ? What about openness Nah, it’s about participation .
24. The Social Media Continuum Photo: stop.down CONNECT LISTEN OBSERVE PARTICIPATE CONTRIBUTE CREATE COLLABORATE MANAGE STEWARD
25. Reading & Commenting counts Photo: Wade from Oklahoma
26. What’s changed? Online is still about conversation. It’s just with new tools. Source: Kivilm It’s still about relationships.
28. What’s the big deal about RSS? Source: Lee Lefever, RSS in Plain English at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0klgLsSxGsU Invest time searching Let info come to you!
29. RSS Readers are like … Source: Lee Lefever, RSS in Plain English at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0klgLsSxGsU Photo: Laura Fries Photo: ario_j
31. Getting a Google Reader
32. Get an RSS Reader?
33. Offer …. Both email And RSS
34. Where to get a blog?
35. FREE Photo: minifig
45. Source: Blog Service Review, 2008 at http://blog-services-review.toptenreviews.com/ Q U I C K C O M P A R I S O N WordPress Blogger TypePad Cost Free Free Starts $4.95 Templates Page Widgets Text Editor Spell Checker Link/Image Emoticon Audio Video Text Files Images Blog roll links Search RSS Feeds Comments
46. What would you blog about? Photo: caffeineslinger Your Blog Name Here
48. Sue Stine Sr. Manager of Dissemination & Coalition Relations CADCA [email_address] LaDonna Coy Social Media & Virtual Learning Consultant Learning for Change, Inc. [email_address]
49. Resources Blog Service Reviews, 2008 at http://blog-services-review.toptenreviews.com/ Photos by Flickr community at www.flickr.com Pew Internet & American Life Project http://www.pewinternet.org/ Forrester http://www.forrester.com/rb/research Blogger (blogging platform) at www.blogger.com Typepad (blogging platform) at www.typepad.com Wordpress (blogging platform) at www.wordpress.org Blog References: CADCA Institute at http://www.coalitioninstitute.org/ CADCA Institute Technology & Social Media Resources http://www.coalitioninstitute.org/Coalition_Resources/Technology/Technology.asp Missouri Youth/Adult Alliance (MYAA) at http://myaapreventuad.blogspot.com/ Oregon Partnership at http://opblog.wordpress.com/ Hartford Communities that Café at http://stumpuad.blogspot.com/ Common Craft Show at http://www.commoncraft.com/ Beth’s Blog Nonprofits and Social Media: http://beth.typepad.com Google Reader at http://reader.google.com Netvibes Reader at www.netvibes.com
50. Photo Citations Creative Commons Photos from Flickr: Pony Express by km6xo http://www.flickr.com/photos/jshappell/150892964/ Letter by anthonylibrarian http://www.flickr.com/photos/anthonylibrarian/1460783019/ Paper mache fax here by amber rhea http://www.flickr.com/photos/amberlrhea/2069631221/ Sending email by enfa http://www.flickr.com/photos/enfa/38243429/ Outlook by matt brett http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbrett/155612494/ Dog photo by Kazze: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kazze/289620863/ Photo dogs splashing: http://www.flickr.com/photos/niwru/1102144588/ Photo Sweet Potato Pie: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevandem/259765596/ Photo: liz_com1981 at http://www.flickr.com/photos/bettyspics/2398443150/ Forrester 12-21 survey http://niallfiles.com/public/images/forrester/activities.png Forrester Report : http://www.akkamsrazor.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/participation.PNG Anchor: http://www.flickr.com/photos/eqqman/41365980/ Photo by Steve Wampler http://www.flickr.com/photos/sgw/2178907447/ Merry-go-Round Photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stopdown/487027583/ Horseshoe photo http://www.flickr.com/photos/wadefromoklahoma/1757398157/ Screen grab from Common Craft Show, RSS in Plain English on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0klgLsSxGsU Photo minifig: http://www.flickr.com/photos/minifig/375779781/in/set-1195846/ Concrete ideas photo by caffieneslinger http://www.flickr.com/photos/caffeineslinger/19257092/
51. This presentation is licensed under CREATIVE COMMONS. This means you can use this presentation, or parts thereof, as long as you give appropriate attribution and make your results available under this same license. This license prohibits using this presentation for commercial purposes. A list of citations and links is included for your reference and use. Suggested Attribution: Source: The CADCA Institute Social Media Webinar Series, June 2008 with guest presenter and prevention partner LaDonna Coy, Learning for Change, Inc.