Adobe Flex Builder
● Adobe's development tool for developing Flex applications
● Retail price - US$249
● 60 days trial - http://www.adobe.com/products/flex/
● Free to student - https://freeriatools.adobe.com/flex/
● Free to unemployed developers - https://freeriatools.adobe.com/learnflex/
● Alternatively, any text editor can be used to do coding; compile to SWF using
the Adobe's Flex compiler (free)
● Flex programming uses a mixture of MXML and Actionscript 3 codes.
● MXML, like HTML, is mainly to draw the user interface components.
● Note that there's always an equivalent Actionscript code for all MXML code,
but not vice versa.
Common Flex UI Components – Layout and Navigators
Customising Flex UI Components
● Flex provides many basic UI components to get you started. Once you are
profiicent, you can make your own UI components or customise the existing
Skinning UI Components using CSS
● Customising UI components requires in-depth knowledge of Actionscript.
● For newcomers, use CSS to change the appearance of UI components.
● Ensure a property or variable always get the latest value of another property
●Flex Image component accept the following file formats: JPG, GIF, PNG,
SWF (for vector)
● Image can be load at runtime or embed into the SWF file
● Load image at runtime
● Embed into SWF file – No need to wait for image to load, but SWF file size
Official Adobe Flex Documentation
● A MUST-HAVE when developing Flex application
● Launch from Flex Builder, Help > Help contents, or Shift + F2.
● Flex component explorer - http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flex/tourdeflex/
● Flex examples and source codes - http://blog.flexexamples.com/