Interesting people doing
interesting things, without
knowing about each
We are changing that.
Social Media is helping to
bring our divergent
innovators, etc) together.
How Did We Get Here...
Sarah Lacy's Money Shot
quot;Omaha is looking at what is has -
a different culture of innovation, ...
a creative class -- and trying to
build a community that will support
anyone who has a good idea and
the stomach to try to start
quot;They live and breathe the Web 2.0
movement, are excited by it, and want
to jump in.quot;
• 30 + attendee led sessions
• 100 + attendees
• 15 + sponsors
• Great opportunity for networking / sharing ideas
with our “creative class”
• Building Community!
Also working on weekly video updates, podcasts, Ustream
maybe this slide with the following 3 can be comined into
one...and tie into Dusty's spots? Let us know what you think...
Soo.... Where to from here?
Keep moving forward...
Events, events, events...
BIG Omaha 2009
May 7th & 8th 2009
• Social Media Conference
• Gary Vaynerchuk, Kevin Rose, Evan Williams and...
Warren Buffett! (stranger things have happened)
• Regional / Local involvement...
• Goal? Continue to connect people, and build an organic
• Bring together techies and non-techies
Bring together local resources
Market Driven Innovation
• National partners
• Identifying key quot;pain pointsquot; amongst companies, and
pairing seasoned entrepreneurs with them to solve those
Other social media initiatives...
• quot;Siloedquot;, but lots of people out there
• #1 priority is to keep building community
o Events, Facebook, Twitter, blogging, interview, stories, etc
o Without community, the other endeavours are difficult (or
impossible) to foster.
• Work with city leaders and other entrepreneurs to build
infrastructure around this community
• Begin to launch companies / highlight existing companies /
showcase cool things
quot;... interesting projects come out of
Omaha, they're going to look very
different by necessity than what
comes out of silicon valley or other