What’s the problem

135
-1

Published on

Published in: Economy & Finance, Business
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total Views
135
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
0
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
1
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

What’s the problem

  1. 1. What’s the problem?<br />
  2. 2. The Federal Employee Health Benefits program (FEHB) is a private insurance program that is offered to the federal government employees, including the President and members of Congress.  <br />Demonstration of Problem within BCBS Federal Employee Plan<br />
  3. 3. FEHB is comprised of over 250 competing private health insurance plans including those offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield.<br />Similar to most private insurance plans, FEHBP stimulates which physicians you can see, which drugs are covered, deductibles and co-pays, whether you can see a specialist, whether and/or where you can be hospitalized, etc.<br />
  4. 4. If these stimulations are not followed, the federal employee may be turned down for treatment or responsible for payment of the entire cost of the treatment received.  There is a definite need for ways to access this type of health insurance information.<br />When a health related emergency occurs, it will undoubtedly be more difficult to access Blue Cross Blue Shield's website in comparison to a cell phone with web application abilities.  The web application we are proposing would allow for these employees to have additional ways to access heatlh care options and alternatives that will not only save them money and time, but may also save lives.<br />
  5. 5. The FEHBP has helped lay the ground work for health care reform.  Currently, federal employees, including the President and members of Congress are the main populations that would be affected by our web application proposal.  However, this new product may pave the way for the development and implementation of similar web applications that would meet the needs of health insurance consumers nationwide.<br />Possibility of Further Expansion<br />
  6. 6. Apple <br />Verizon Wireless/Motorola/HTC-Current developers of Droid phones<br />Blue Cross Blue Shield<br />Business Sponsors<br />
  7. 7. First, how large is the market?<br />What if this problem is not addressed?<br />The government pays approximately 72% of each employee's insurance premiums and the employee is responsible for the remaining 28%.  FEHBP covers 4.5 million federal employees at an annual cost of <br />$40 billion dollars.<br />We will be doing a disservice to people that want to make the right choices and take responsibility for the treatment they receive and the related costs.  We will also allow insurance companies to take advantage of the mis-informed consumer that receives medical services from a provider outside his/her HMO.<br />28%<br />72%<br />Overall, making Blue Cross Blue Shield FEHBP benefits accessible and convenient for their consumers will broaden their marketbase and gain respect from the healthcare industry.<br />
  8. 8. Root Cause/Components of Problem<br />BCBS insurance benefit packages are becoming more complex and costly.<br />More competition within the private healthcare insurance marketplace carries over to the FEHB marketplace.<br />Large consumer base with many plan options and policy guidelines.<br />High costs and medical repercussions for the misinformed consumer.<br />Current society needs of fast access to information.<br />Need for system of gaining information that is user-friendly and easily accessible.<br />

×