Oakland A's general manager Billy Beane's successful attempt to put together a baseball club on a budget by employing computer-generated analysis to acquire new players. Sabermetrics is the specialized analysis of baseball through objective evidence, especially baseball statistics that measure in-game activity. The term is derived from the acronym SABR, which stands for the Society for American Baseball Research. It was coined by Bill James, who is one of its pioneers and is often considered its most prominent advocate and public face
Steve Schoettler / co-founder of Zynga, Junyo – Learning Analytics: What Could You Do With Five Orders of Magnitude More Data About Learning?
How can data sets be shared according to privacy and legal protection rights? How to develop a respective policy to use and share data sets? How to pre-process data sets to make them suitable for other researchers? How to define common evaluation criteria for TEL recommender systems? How to develop overview methods to monitor the performance of TEL recommender systems on data sets?
Again: higher for teachers than students
No difference between students and teachers Tinyarm Lak score is lower: main reason for this is that many participants noted that they used resources outside the moodle lms that was used for the organization of the course.
No difference between students and teachers tinyarm
Awareness of effort Awareness of resource / tool use Understand how students communicate Awareness of what students are doing for the course Find students at risk?
1. Learning analyticsSymposium on awareness in technology-enhanced learning 11 September 2012 Katrien Verbert @katrien_v
9. tracking traces BlogsRescuetime Rabbit- eclipse Twitte plugin r
10. tracking traces www.role-project.eu
11. Student Activity Meter (SAM)
12. Santos Odriozola, Jose Luis; Govaerts, Sten; Verbert, Katrien; Duval, Erik Goal-oriented visualizations ofactivity tracking: a case study with engineering students, Proceedings of LAK12: 2nd International Conferenceon Learning Analytics and Knowledge, pages 10, ACM (to appear)
13. Human-Computer Interaction Course
16. Design Based Research Methodology• Rapid prototyping• Evaluate Ideas in short iteration cycles of Design, Implementation & Evaluation• Focus on Usefulness & Usability • Think-aloud evaluations, SUS (System Usability Scale) surveys, usability lab, ...
18. Awareness of effort Score #lak teachers #thesis #thesis students supervisors #chikul #cgiar students tinyarm twitter blogs toggl moodle
19. Awareness of resource / tool use Score teachers #thesis #thesis students supervisors #chikul #lak #cgiar students tinyarm twitter blogs toggl moodle
20. Understand how students communicate Score teachers #thesis #thesis students supervisors #chikul #lak #cgiar students
21. Dashboards help… #chik #thesis1 #thesis11- #peno3 #cgiar #lak1 #uc3 ul 1 sup 1 m…to be aware of effort/time? ✔ ✗ ✔ ✔ ✔ ? ✔…to be aware ofresource/tool use? ✔ ✔ ✔ ✔ ? ✔…to be aware of howstudents communicate? ✔ ✔ ✔…find students at risk? ✔ ✔ ✔ ✗ ✔ ? ?
22. find students…doing well …at risk1 Good distribution of effort over time •2 Much time spent • 1• Too much time spent3 Much debugging • 2• Too much debugging4 Much programming errors • 3• Many programming errors5 Active tweeter / blogger • 4• Too many tweets