Internet marketing ties together the creative and technical aspects of the Internet, including design, development, advertising and sales.Ask: How big is the Online Marketing Industry and how huge is the opportunity that online marketing has to offer.Conducted by Econsultancy, SoDA’s Digital Outlook Marketing Survey had 651 respondents. 53% of those participants were marketers representing corporate brands (25%), consumer brands (30%) and other related industries (45%). The remaining 47% were creative service leaders from traditional agencies (23%), digital agencies (64%) and production companies (13%).
The Society of Digital Agencies (SoDA) serves as a voice for digital marketing professionals worldwide with a mission to advance the industry through Best Practices, Education, and Advocacy. What percentage of your overall marketing budget was invested in digital channels in 2011 vs 2012?Companies have moved much of their marketing budget online
While only 22% of client marketers are forecasting increases in traditional media spends in 2012, 50% projected an increase in paid digital media and two thirds say they expect to increase earned digital media efforts this year.Earned Media – published content into free channelsOwned Media – brand platforms or web assetsPaid Media – Banner ads, Paid Search, Video Owned media is also found to be the main focus of most companies for 2012
According to a recently released MarketingSherpa 2012 Inbound Marketing Handbook, nearly 95% of marketers report that SEO has become more important as an inbound marketing lead source,
What is your organization’s approach to expanding digital marketing / communication initiatives?
- Guru.com developed the SmartMatch technology which matches résumés and other information about job applicants to jobs,transact safely through SafePay. You pay us and we pay the Freelancer only after you approve the work, gives “quality score” to freelancersTop 10 make available in strategicdigitalpresence.com
A recent story by Associate Professor PanosIpeirotis of the New York University pointing out that data recorded by the oDesk Team client shows when a worker is active during which time of the day and found out that contractors from the Philippines are practically active throughout the day compared to other top countries on the list.WHY PHILIPPINES?English communication skillsEducated and Highly qualified workforceCultural adaptationLower costImpeccable customer service
The Creative Group 2012 Salary Guide (US)Salary ranges for more than 100 interactive, design, marketing, advertising and public relations position. The figures are national averages and represent the starting compensation only. Hence, bonuses, incentives and other forms of compensation such as benefits and retirement packages are not taken into account
Writing. I’ve beaten this one to death. If you can’t write, don’t even put the word ‘marketer’ in your title. DON’T. I hear you starting – “mar…” BZZZZT. Stop right there. Statistics. You don’t need to be an expert statistician. But understanding a rolling average, statistical significance and confidence interval is required. SEO. Yep. Search engine optimization. This of course leads to a whole new list of stuff. That’s for another blog post. PPC. Pay per click marketing. See SEO, above.Information Retrieval. I separate this from SEO and PPC because it’s central to a lot of stuff you may end up doing to dig through/mine/organize data when you do everything from social media monitoring to reading your client’s last 3 years of sales brochures. HTML and CSS. Please. For the love of all that’s good in the universe. You can’t help people market on the internet if you can’t even fathom how it’s all built. Design. You don’t have to be a professional designer. At least I hope not – I can’t design to save my life. But you should understand some basic principles: The Golden Ratio, typography, use of color, how to do a layout using a grid. Don’t be a native, but at least speak the language. Social media. Shudder. It pains me to use this stupid phrase. Still, you need to understand how people connect online. It’s a (sarcasm here) teeny little aspect of online marketing (end sarcasm). Twitter, Facebook, StumbleUpon, Reddit, and a bunch of others. Math. Quick: What’s .1 X $10,000? If you answered $100, then I’ve interviewed you before. Fail. Business sense. I can’t easily categorize this. But you need to understand what makes a business ‘tick’. Little stuff, like earning more money than you spend, can really make a difference. Diplomacy. Yeaaahhhhhhhhh I’m still working on this one. Learn to advocate, strongly, for controversial points that you know for certain are critical to your client. Without alienating every single person in the room. ‘Diplomacy’ is the ability to tell people they’re totally wrong, and make them smile at the same time. - Published at Portent, an internet marketing company.
Lynn Nolan Ryan, Jr. (born on January 31, 1947), nicknamed "The Ryan Express", is a former Major League Baseball pitcher. He is currently principal owner, president and CEO of the Texas Rangers.Ryan was an eight-time MLB All-Star, and his 5,714 career strikeouts rank first in baseball history by a significant margin.
1. Opening Doors of Opportunities through Online Marketing www.sheiladelapena.com 1
2. Maayung Aga! Mass Communications graduate Started SEO in 2006, worked as SEO professionally in 2008 Worked for a Public Relations company (specializing in issues management, advocacy and political campaigns) for almost 4 years.Currently, Online Marketing Manager for a company in travel and accommodation niche Social Media Analyst for a Singaporean company SEO Consultant for local businesses www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com 2
3. What is Online Marketing? “…also known as web marketing, online marketing, webvertising, or e-marketing, isreferred to as the marketing (generally promotion) of products or services over the Internet.” -WikipediaIncludes Display/BannerAdvertising, Search EngineMarketing (Paid andOrganic), Social MediaMarketing, AffiliateMarketing, Content Marketing www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com3
4. Some Data Points Digital Marketing Spending 2011 and 2012 (projected) 35% 30% 25% 20% 15% 10% 5% 0% 0-9% 10-19% 20-29% 30-39% 40-49% 50-59% 60% or more 2011 21% 14% 13% 9% 5% 8% 31% 2012 17% 11% 13% 11% 8% 10% 33% Source: SoDA’s Digital Marketing Outlook Survey: 2012 Digital marketing budget continue to move slowly yet steadily www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com4
5. Some Data Points Online Marketing Budget Shift 45% 40% 35% 30% 25% 20% 15% 10% 5% 0% Paid Digital Media Paid Traditional Media Earned/Owned Media Significantly Decreasing 4% 11% 2% Somewhat Decreasing 12% 27% 7% Staying the Same 33% 40% 26% Somewhat Increasing 42% 18% 41% Significantly Increasing 8% 4% 25% Source: SoDA’s Digital Marketing Outlook Survey: 2012 Budget continue to be allocated from traditional, expensive tactics toward digital www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com5
6. Some Data Points Inbound Lead Source Value SEO 94% 6%Social Media 85% 15% Email 79% 21% Blogs 68% 32% PPC 54% 46%Trade Shows 28% 72% DirectMail 23% 77% Telemarket… 21% 79% 0% 20% 40% 60% 80% 100% More Important Less Important Source: 2011 Marketing Sherpa Benchmark Survey Leads obtained from inbound marketing tactics, such as SEO, social media and blogs, have increased in importance over the last 12 months www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com6
7. Some Data Points Approach to Online Marketing Expansion Increase internal resource 62% Increase external resource 42% Diversify Agency partnerships 28%Consolidate Agency Partnerships 19% Others 2% 0% 10% 20% 30% 40% 50% 60% 70% Increased self-reliance is becoming a common mantra for many companies www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com7
8. High Demand Positions 1. Online Project Manager 2. Search Engine Marketing 3. User Experience (UX) Designer 4. Video Producer 5. Web Analytics Specialist 6. Web Designer / Developer www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com8
9. Service/s you may provideWeb designBrand marketingSocial Media ManagementSEO / PPCFull-Service Online MarketingContent CreationVideo ProductionApp / Program DevelopmentDigital Media Buying and many more. www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com9
10. Where to get your online marketing jobs?Outsourced jobsJobs that are given to an external service provider.Outsourced jobs are easily found in online job marketplacessuch as Odesk, Guru, Elance, etc.Freelance, contracted projectsJobs with no long-term commitment. Check within yournetwork, family and/or friends for possible freelanceprojects.In-house employmentJobs within a company, with long-term commitment. Jobplacement companies or websites, old-school classifiedsare common sources of in-house job leads. www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com 10
11. Job Outsourcing MarketplacesWebsite / Company Founded Contractors Fee Campbell, Califo rnia 170,000 4% to 15% 2003 Australia 3.4 million Up to 10% 2009 Pittsburgh, Penns ylvania 350,000 7.45% or 11.95% 1998 Mountain 6.75% to 8.75% View, California 1.4 million 1999 www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com 11
13. Show me the money! Position Minimum Maximum User Experience Designer $71,750.00 $104,000.00 User Interface Developer $77,250.00 $111,500.00 Web Designer (5+ years) $72,750.00 $100,750.00 Web Designer (1 to 5 years) $50,250.00 $74,750.00 Flash Designer (5+ years) $68,000.00 $88,750.00 Flash Designer (1 to 5 years) $50,750.00 $70,750.00 Flash Developer $70,250.00 $99,500.00 Web Developer (Front-End) $61,500.00 $98,500.00 Blogger $40,000.00 $60,000.00 Mobile Designer $61,750.00 $90,000.00 Mobile Developer $78,500.00 $106,000.00 Game Designer $57,500.00 $88,500.00 Web Content Writer (5+ years) $58,500.00 $88,750.00 Web Content Writer (1 to 5 years) $43,000.00 $65,000.00 Online Content Manager $59,500.00 $7,700.00 Online Marketing Strategist $80,500.00 $117,000.00 Web Analytics Specialist (3+ years) $73,250.00 $93,750.00 Web Analytics Specialist (1 to 3 years) $69,500.00 $91,750.00 SEO/SEM Specialist (3+ years) $63,750.00 $87,500.00 SEO/SEM Specialist (1 to 3 years) $46,250.00 $61,000.00 Link Builder $35,000.00 $100,000.00 Source: The Creative Group 2012 Salary Guide (Annual, US) www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com 13
14. 10 Internet Marketing Skills Must-Have 1. Writing 2. Statistics understanding 3. SEO / PPC 4. Information Retrieval 5. HTML and CSS 6. Design Principles 7. Social Media 8. Math! 9. Business sense 10. Diplomacy www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com 14
15. Be aware of the speedbumps and risks!1. Cashflow may be inconsistent2. leads or networks to get new clients/projects may be insufficient3. Getting new clients/projects may be difficult4. Project or contract duration may be short5. Retainer fee may be lower6. Keeping up with technology updates may be challenging7. Clients may be too demanding8. Skillset and client requirement may be mismatched9. Client may terminate projects unexpectedly www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com 15
16. What it takes to survive in the OnlineMarketing Industry 1. Develop good communication skills 2. Learn to come up with solutions. 3. Be critical with the projects you accept. 4. Know the rules and/or laws (if any) as well as the work-arounds. 5. Have an analytical mind set. 6. Be organized and systematic. 7. Be responsive and adaptive to change www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com 16
17. “Enjoying success requires the ability to adapt.Only by being open to change will you have a true opportunity to get the most from your talent.” - Nolan "The Ryan Express“ Ryan www.sheiladelapena.com www.sheiladelapena.com 17
18. Your Inputs are important to me I hope I was able to provide you with valuable information. Please help me improve my presentation by answering a short feedback form here. Thank you!