2. Guessing game: frown lean thumb handshake bow fist anger make a face hold up
3. Pre-reading Clapping one’s hands — welcome What do you think about the following body language?
4. A hug — FRIENDS
5. worried, frown angry, fist
6. tired excited
7. eye contact EXERCISE A. I dislike you. B. I hate you. C. I notice you.
8. roll one’s eyes A. I’m interested in it. B. I don’t believe it. C. I know it.
9. shrug A. I don’t know. B. I agree. C. I’m happy.
10. GESTURES BY HANDS
11. What is body language? <ul><li>Body language is the movements or positions of our body. We use them to show other people what we are thinking about and how we are feeling. </li></ul>
12. What does the gesture for OK mean in different countries? BODY TALK Listening: It means money in Japan. It means zero in France. It means rude in Brazil & German.
13. Para 1: Para 2: Para 3: Para 4-5 : Different gestures to communicate the same idea Some universal gestures Introduction to body language Different interpretations of the same gesture Scanning:
14. Reading <ul><li>Do people express their thoughts and opinions and communicate with others only by words? What other ways can be used? </li></ul>words our expressions body movements (Para 1.)
15. 2. Sometimes we say one thing but our body language says something different. Why does this happen ? Can you think of examples? Body language varies from culture to culture. It means “great” or “good job” in the USA. It means rude in Nigeria. It means No.1 in German & Japan. (Para 2.)
16. 3. In what countries does “shaking one’s head ” means “ yes ”? In Bulgaria parts of Greece In Iran (Para 3.)
17. ( Para 4-5) 4. If a person is hungry , perhaps he will _____. A. press his palms together B. rest his head on the back of his hand. C. rub his stomach before a meal D. rub his stomach after a meal c
18. ( Para 4-5) 5. What does the word “ down ” mean in the last sentence ? A. from a higher place to a lower place B. from an earlier time to a later time C. from an inland place to the coast D. ( being ) beaten in the struggle of life D
19. 6. Which of the following can serve as the topic sentence of the passage ? A. Body language differs from culture to culture. B. People send messages not only by words. C. Body language is important in our daily life. D. Smile plays an important part in our life. A Scanning
20. 7. Form the text we can conclude that _____. A. we should use body language as often as possible. B. we should be careful about body language. C. we should never use body language. D. body language is more important than words. B Reading:
21. the mysterious and ever-lasting smile the charming and unforgettable smile smile
22. How is body language different from spoken language ? what do they have in common ? Discussion express our thoughts and opinions communicate with other people know direct meaning by words body language can’t express complex thoughts, opinions and views
23. What can you learn from this passage?
24. When in Rome, do as the Romans do ！ 入乡随俗
25. grammar The –ing form --- used as Subject, Object and Predicative In many countries, shaking one’s head means “no” and nodding means “yes”. We can learn a lot about what a person is thinking by watching his or her body language. A way of saying “I am hungry”is patting the stomach before a meal.
26. <ul><li>Read the text </li></ul><ul><li>Write a short paragraph about the difference beteen the body language of China and other countries. </li></ul>Homework