2. * The impressionist style of painting developed in the late 19 th century. * The impressionist focused on capturing the over all impression of the scene through affects by Using light and color in various ways. IMPRESSIONISM
3. * Born in St. Germain on the 22 nd day of August 1862 and died 25 th day of March 1918 in Paris. * One of the first “impressionist” composers, he preferred to the subtle to the blatant (obvious), quiet harmonies to blaring statement and on listener to become immersed in the artist experience. CLAUDE DEBUSSY
4. (Achilles Claude Debussy) Completed December 15, 1899 (at 3 pm) 1 st Performance October 7, 1901 in Paris. Scored for 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 3 bassoons, 4 horns, 3 trumpets, 3 trombones, tuba, cymbals, Snare drums, tympany, 2 harps. NOCTURNES
5. -Recalls a summer love affair - is a restrained yet joyous celebrating (festival) -is a simple 2 notes motive to seduce the listener into Debussy. 3 SHORT COMPOSITIONS: NUAGES FETES SERENES
6. *Claude Monet *Pierre Auguste Renoir *Camille Pissaro *Alfred Sisley *Berthe Marisot *Armand Guillaumin *Frederick Bazille *Edgar Degas *Paul Cézanne *Edouard Monet THE PRINCIPAL FRENCH IMPRESSIONIST PAINTERS:
7. (1874-1951) Born in Vienna 1847. He was a self thought musician. He abandoned the traditional system in form of the twelve tone technique. ARNOLD SHOENBERG
8. -Unusual style of vocal performances halfway between speaking and singing. -Literacy means speech voice -Fear, takot, unreasonable, confused and rebellion. PIERROT LUNAIRE SPRECHSTIMME FULL OF TENSION
9. *Born March 30, 1853 in Groot Zundert and died on the 29 th day of July 1890 (self inflected gunshot). *Best known as the marvelous painter who cut his own earlobe. VINCENT VAN GOGH
10. -A Dutch impressionist painter wrote early works such as “the potato eaters” in 1885. *Starry Night (1889) *Self Portrait (1888) *900 Paintings *1010 drawings/10 yrs.
11. *Born Lomonosov, 17 June 1882; died New York, 6 April 1971. Russian composer, later of French (1934) and American (1945). *Stravinsky was regarded as the world greatest Composer. His once revolutionary works were modem classics. *Like Debussy and Shoenberg, Stravinsky a composer from Russia, was also one of the 20 th century composers who established new trends in music, instead of just using the new trends in his music, he combined the traditional and modern trends. IGOR STRAVINSKY
12. -Is identified, by the time signature, a fractional symbol in which the numerator specifies the no. of beats per bar, and the denominator specifies the relative note value assigned to one beat. -From L’Histoire du Soldat (The Soldiers Tale) 2/4 3/4 2/4 3/8 2/4 MULTIMETER "MARCHE du SOLDAT"
13. <ul><li>The suppression of an expected rhythmic accent by </li></ul><ul><li>the continuation of an accented tone that begins </li></ul><ul><li>just before it. </li></ul>SYNCOPATION
14. Bela Bartok (1881-1945), a Hungarian, is considered a famous progressive modern musical composers, a great pianist, teacher and researcher. He was one of the leaders of Hungarian nationalism and made use of the Hungarian folk tunes in his music. Just like Stravinsky, he was one of the composers who belonged to the movement of Neo-Classicism: a return to the simplicity of classicism and combining of modern sound with classic form. THE MUSIC OF BELA BARTOK
15. Bartok made use of the church modes in his music. <ul><li>Dorian - d ef g a bc d - Re </li></ul>2. Phrygian - ef g a bc d e - Mi 3. Lydian - f g a bc d ef - Fa 4. Mixolydian - g a bc d ef g - So
16. His style is characterized by rhythms which are percussive and intricate because of the influence of the Hungarian dance patterns. He use polyrhythm, which means using two or more different rhythms played at the same time. In some of his compositions like “Six dances in Bulgarian Rhythm, no. 1”, you will notice the irregular grouping beats. Polytonality, which is the simultaneous combination of two or more tonalities in a composition, can also be found in Bartok’s compositions.
17. With the advancement of technology, many composers are experimenting with new sound sources such as electronic, environmental, and other non-tonal sounds. Traditional instruments are used but in a different way. Even computers, cassette tape recorder, and synthesizers are used. ELECTRONIC MUSIC
18. Dr. Molina (1894-1980) was one of the 20 th century Composers who wrote art music. He was considered The “Claude Debussy of the Philippines” because he Was the first to introduce several important devices, Technically characteristics of impressionism in music. One of Molina’s popularly known composition is “ Hatinggabi” that is similar to Claude Debussy’s “Claire de Lune”. Another composition of Molina is “Dancing fool.” In the composition, he made use of the whole tone scale and used it as a descriptive device. ANTONIO MOLINA and IMPRESSIONISM
19. ELECTRONIC MUSIC Music that requires knowledge or use of electronic Devices to produce or manipulate sounds during its Composition and performance. CONCRETE MUSIC (French Musique Concrete)- music created by Reworking natural sounds.
20. FILIPINO CONTEMPORARY COMPOSER
21. <ul><li>(1893-1934) Our foremost Kundiman composer also showed the elements of modernism in his music. This is heared in his “Cinderella Overture” and “Sinfonietta for Strings” </li></ul>Dr. LUCRECIA KASILAG NICANOR ABELARDO <ul><li>Neo-classicist. The music of kasilag is unique in </li></ul><ul><li>which she was able to combine the music of the </li></ul><ul><li>East and West. This is shown in her Tocatta (1958) </li></ul><ul><li>where she made use of the piano, clarinet, oboe </li></ul><ul><li>kulintang and Tiruray. The kuiliontang is very </li></ul><ul><li>prominent in her “Concert Divertissement.” </li></ul>
22. Dr. JOSE MACEDA -Pioneer and exponent of avant-garde music in our country. When he was in France, he joined the Music Concrete movement. An example of his work is “ Ugnayan”(1947). Most of Maceda’s composition make use of a larger no. of people and the environment. Dr. RAMON SANTOS -Another way of combining western and non western materials and structure is shown by Dr. Ramon Santos. He made use of asian materials in his new way of composing.