Manhar parmjot singh
• First company to start packaged drinking water in India. In 1967
Bisleri set up a plant in Mumbai.
• Parle bought over Bisleri (India) Ltd. in 1969 and started bottling
water in glass bottles under the brand name „Bisleri‟.
• Bisleri was synonymous with branded water market in early
1990s and had a market share of 70%.
• In 2000-01 Pepsi and Coca-Cola,Nestle entered the branded water
market and positioned their products on the purity platform.
• Main reason for the boom in branded water was that people were
becoming more health and hygiene conscious.
• Bisleri began to erode and felt need to differentiate and
reposition itself, so in september 2000,it launched its Pure and
Safe ad campaign.
• Bisleri tried to make quality and the purification processes they
used as their unique selling proposition (USP) and tried to add a
fun element to rejuvenate.
• Its aim was to increase turnover from Rs 4 billion in 2000 to Rs
10 billion by 2003.
• Used tamper proof seals
• Decided to penetrate every possible market by introducing
more pack sizes with trendy packaging.
• Launched1.2 litre pack ,and avoid problems of leakages, loose
caps and foreign particles at Rs12 with view of replacing it‟s 1
• Planned to spent margin resulting out from sale of its 1.2 litre
on advertising and marketing.
• Launched 300ml cup targeted at marriages and convention
• Whenever people ask for bisleri and usually pickup brand
whichever is available.The problem here is that 8 out of 10
times the customer asks for bisleri,but doesn‟t get in 50%
situation and ends up accepting whatever brand he gets.
• Better distribution channels and superior advertising campaign
of competitor i.e. coca-cola and pepsi which can break
Bisleri‟s hold on bottled water market.
• Bisleri says “Play Safe” and Kinley talks about “trust and
safety”.The brand get lost when it tries to position the value it
• Though the brand recall is stronger,Bisleri suffers when it is not
available where it is required. In such an instance the competitor‟s
product is taken and that adds as a direct loss . To minimize such
instances its needed to vastly improve distribution. The ways to do that
Investing more money in procurement of trucks and sales people
Tie up with dominant local players
Setting up of plants in the vicinity of places where market share is
lower i.e the eastern part of India like Guwahati.
• Tie up with plastic manufacturing companies to sell the residual plastic.
To source this residual plastic it need to give incentives to local
municipalities to provide the residual plastic to distributor through
whom it can be source back.
• This solves the problem of empty running of trucks after delivering the
retail boxes as the residual plastic can carry back to factories.
• The positioning of the brand can be differentiated by an ad
campaign which says “paani yaani Bisleri” and focus on the concept
that when a Bisleri is asked for ,a Bisleri should be delivered ,not
any other product.
• It need to tie up with other companies to create a diversified product
line. A tie up with Dabur would help using Dabur‟s excellent Rural
Distribution channel. Another important tie up would be hotels and
food establishments. It could look at tying up with new hotel chains
that have entered India i.e. Ista, Accor group of hotels, Pride hotels
,to name a few.
• Another concept for product diversification would be “Bisleri Life”
where it can the mountain water that is sourced from the Zanskar
Rangein Ladakh and market it by using different additions to create
a life style water range that would have a product line that would
suit skin, eyes,digestion etc.
• Range of pack sizes.
• Strong brand image
• High quality standard
• Keeps updating it’s products.
• Wide network of plants almost all over
• Transportation costs.
• Unable to fulfill demand(distribution
• Reusable bottles
• No continuous innovation in the
• Global market.
• Parle Exports can also enter the fruit
• Growing industry
• Increasing water pollution
• Health consciousness of customer is
• Introduction of premium pack
• Easy entry
• Families- tap water
• Competitors like Aqua fina, Himalaya
Bailley, & Other local & rural products.
• New enters in the market like Amul
• If government ban on plastic use then
company will be in trouble
• For daily traveling consumption (250ml and 500ml bottles)
• For Long traveling consumption (2, 1.5 & 1 Ltr.)
• For Office, Home, Marriage or Meeting use (5 & 20 Ltr.
• First Ad Campaign
– PLAY SAFE
• Second Ad Campaign
– The Sweet taste of Purity
• Third Ad Campaign
– Bisleri The Mountain Water
• Fourth Ad Campaign
– Bisleri bottle falling from mountain
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.