1. Renaissance Men/ Women What it takes to be a maestro
2. Objectives❖ Students will discuss aspects of Renaissance ﬁgures and identify what it means to be a Renaissance Person❖ Students will analyze the changes in European thought and culture resulting from the Renaissance.
3. Vocabulary❖ Francesco Petarch❖ Filippo Brunelleschi❖ Leonardo da Vinci❖ Michelangelo Buonarroti❖ Niccolo Machiavelli
4. Francesco Petarch (1304-1374)❖ Considered the earliest humanist❖ Poet & scholar❖ Assembled library of Greek & Roman writings❖ Revived interest and admiration for great Roman and Greek writers - Cicero, Homer, Virgil, etc.
5. Greek & Roman Inﬂuence❖ Renaissance artists still continued to portray religious scenes ❖ Used Greek or Roman backgrounds to set them❖ Focus was on realism and perspective ❖ Mixture of Greek and Roman inﬂuence with contemporary imagery
6. Change from Gothic Architecture❖ Renaissance architecture into a ‘social art’.❖ From height and arches to a reﬂection of classical style of columns, arches and domes❖ Cathedrals and other important buildings reﬂected this ideal
7. Filippo Brunelleschi (1377-1446) ❖ Renaissance architect ❖ Most famous for designing the Florence cathedral ❖ Also created bronze artwork, mathematician, engineering, and ship design ❖ Challenged classical approach to architecture ❖ Began to use linear perspective
8. Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)❖ Driving force: curiosity; Wanted to understand how the world around him worked❖ By observing world around him and sketching things as he saw them, his art reﬂected a more striking realism.❖ Art was only one of his passions: anatomy, botany, optics, architecture and engineering.
9. Video at:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG6kVqMb8pk
10. Michelangelo Buonarroti (1475-1564) ❖ Sculptor, engineer, painter, architect and poet ❖ Focus of his art was to capture humanist perspective on biblical themes ❖ Sculpture of “David” emphasizes harmony and grace from Greek tradition ❖ Frescoes in the Sistine Chapel - took 4 years for the ceiling and 6 years for the wall
11. Literature and Writing❖ Number of writers emphasized humanities ideals❖ Baldassare Castiglione developed a guidebook for what a good man and woman should be like❖ Niccolo Machiavelli would write on how best to gain control and power by those in power ❖ ‘Ends justify the means.’
12. Video at:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s25kX24j250