1. Assignment 12 (ii) – Planning for Documentary Kaya Sumbland Gledis Dedaj Rahel Fasil Joanne Aroda
2. Structure For Whole SeriesEpisode: Introduction: Beginning: Middle: End: (First 2 Mins) (15 Mins) (15 Mins) (15 Mins) • Presenter talking about - History of the Web. - Social networking sites. - What algorithms are the whole documentary, - How it has evolved. - Statistics on how far the and how they work. the purpose - how social - The way we communicate world has become‘Social Media’ media is controlling what has been revolutionised. obsessed with them. - How algorithms are – The information we receive, in - Interviews with older - How this makes for a used to subtly Facebook, YouTube, Hegemonic Google, Twitter generation on their perfect tool, for control or Puppeteer • Montage footage of experiences of how the controlling views and manipulate society. people interacting with Web has progressed. ideologies. different forms of media – - E.g. Hash-tag : ‘Twitter’ on people on their iPads, TV iPhones, Blackberry’s, Laptops etc. • E.g. internet, phones, TV… Including establishing shot of internet cafes (high angles, low angles), a bedroom (with tech), train station (people on phones) with close up of Wi-Fi connecting • Show case study of the boy who killed his mum mimicking the soap ‘Coronation Street’, with archival footage of news broadcast
3. Structure For Whole SeriesEpisode: Introduction: Beginning: Middle: End: (First 2 Mins) (15 Mins) (15 Mins) (15 Mins) - The different types of - Wikipedias and Blogs. - How we think we are - Does technological social Media - How they generate their being given various convergence aid a‘Social Media’ platforms. own information. choices, however these democratic media - The way that they use - Blogs are not censored choices are provided by landscape or does it – Fighting algorithms to cater to (Freedom of speech) higher powers who enforce a back the individual varies. determine your search hegemonic one. - How society is fighting results. against a hegemonic - E.g. ‘Online Dating’ : Your media platform. match is determined for you.
4. Structure For Whole SeriesEpisode: Introduction: Beginning: Middle: End: (First 2 Mins) (15 Mins) (15 Mins) (15 Mins) - How are we influenced - Films : Used to install - How stereotypes have - The news and how by the things that we certain ideologies within become hegemonic people have no watch? society or promote these through someones control over what is ‘Film & - How it has been ideologies. dictation of script. shown. Television’ integrated into - Examples of specific films - This is liked to the - What is shown on everyday television. that have influence the propaganda used in WW1 the news is world the most alongside and WW2 to promote the specifically chosen with statistics. Nazi Regime. for a certain representation.
5. Choice of EpisodeThe episode we will focus on is…We chose this episode because…• It was intriguing of all our subtopics• It would be easiest to get footage for• It’s the most progressive form of media
6. Structure for EpisodeEpisode Introduction Introduction Beginning Middle End (1st 2 min) (1 min) ‘Revolution of The ‘Social ‘Algorithms’ Web’ Networking Sites’ • Presenter talking about • Presenter • First subtopic is the • Then introduce the whole documentary, introducing the Revolution of the the purpose - how social algorithms and episode on social Web. how they are a media is controlling what • Show examples of information we receive, networking tool used to in Facebook, YouTube, (Facebook, • This will include how they are subtly control Google, Twitter YouTube and public interview at applied. E.g. society.Social • Montage footage of people interacting with Twitter) including Trafalgar square Rahel’s Facebook liking pages and its statistics on how (older generation) • We will haveMedia- different forms of media – people on their iPads, much people use to ask how it affect on her news feed. expert it changed. interviews The iPhones, Blackberry’s, • Show supporting Laptops etc. (technicians)Hegemonic • E.g. internet, phones, footage of • Show a time line • Public interviews and public onesPuppeteer TV… YouTube (Clips of animation of the and statistics. at Trafalgar Including establishing YouTube Celebs growth. square. shot of internet cafes increasing • E.g. Facebook, (high angles, low angles), viewers), Google, • The stages of Web YouTube, Twitter, a bedroom (with tech), • Show examples Facebook, with 1, 2 and 3 – How Social News and train station (people on of how we voiceover of have they Vimeo. phones) with close up of receive Wi-Fi connecting statistics on developed or different • Show case study of the dominant pages, progressed. search results. boy who killed his mum and their mimicking the soap influence of ‘Coronation Street’, with people with more archival footage of news statistics broadcast
7. Structure for 5 minute Documentary2 Minute Introduction (Series)15 secs: Show establishing shot of people walking (fast motion) with statistics followed by shots of Internet café users.15 secs: iPhone - close up of its uses (Google), shot of the TV showing hashtag to share their views.15 secs: Presenter introduces herself and what she will be exploring throughout the documentary series.15 secs: Presenter goes through the different types of media.15 secs: Presenter talking about how we are influenced by what we watch and how higher powers use this as a form of control.15 secs: Show case study of the boy who killed his mum mimicking the soap ‘Coronation Street’, with archival footage of news broadcast.15 secs: Presenter discusses the two sides of the debate. (hegemonic or democratic)15 secs: She asks 3 rhetorical questions, finishing on the documentary series title question, followed by an animation of the title.
8. Structure for 5 minute Documentary1 Minute Introduction (Episode)30 secs: Presenter inside Internet Café, gets up and walks out while talking about different platforms of social media.15 secs: How Facebook also caters to the individual through their ‘News Feed’- With voice-over. (Example of real Facebook page.)15 secs: Statistics of how far people have become obsessed with social networking, thus making it the perfect tool to control people.
9. Structure for 5 minute Documentary2 Minute (To Focus On First Subtopic Of Episode)15 secs: Animation of a time-line of how the internet has progressed – Web 1.0 qualities (sociological theory ‘upsurge’) how it was hegemonic (Information comes out but none come in)15 secs: Presenter talks about examples – Social news, online dating, Wikipedia etc…15 secs: Animation moves to Web 2.0 () Montage footage of ‘YouTube’ celebrities (online videos) – Animation of number of views increasing. Alongside will be a voiceover by presenter.15 secs: Public interview – quoted significant things they say on Web 2.015 secs: Lastly Web 3.0 (Future)Presenter informs on the filter bubble with a ‘bubble’ animation to show them Example of two different people typing in the same thing into Google and receiving different search results.15 secs: Expert interview on the future of Web 3.0 and algorithms.
10. Structure for 5 minute DocumentaryLast 10-20 Seconds (preview to next episode)5 secs:15 secs:
11. Script – First Half
12. Script – First Half
21. Shot List – First HalfTime: Scene: Shot Description: Location: Characters: Props: Costume: People walking around Establishing shot. Trafalgar The general N/A N/A00:05 Trafalgar Square – Fast Square. public. motion. Statistics on screen with Long shot. Trafalgar The general N/A N/A00:10 background image of Square. public. people walking around Trafalgar Square – Fast motion. People on using Long shot. Internet Café. The general N/A N/A00:15 computers inside an public. Internet Café. N/A Close-up ‘Google’ N/A N/A iPhone. N/A00:20 homepage.
22. Shot List – First HalfTime: Scene: Shot Description: Location: Characters: Props: Costume: N/A Close-up of TV Living room. N/A TV N/A00:25 screen. Presenter inside Internet Mid shot. Internet Café. Presenter. N/A Formal top and00:40 Café walking out. skirt with a coat. Presenter walking out of Long shot Internet Café / Presenter. N/A Formal top and01:45 the Internet Café. Street. skirt with a coat.
23. Shot List – First HalfTime: Scene: Shot Description: Location: Characters: Props: Costume: Presenter standing Mid shot. Internet Café. Presenter. N/A Formal top and01:45 outside Internet Café skirt with a coat. talking to the camera. Clip from News Report. Close-up of Screen. N/A N/A Television. N/A01:47 Archival footage of news Close-up of Screen. N/A N/A Television. N/A01:50 report. Presenter standing in the Mid shot. Central London. Presenter. N/A Formal top and01:55 street talking to the skirt with a coat. camera.
24. Shot List – First HalfTime: Scene: Shot Description: Location: Characters: Props: Costume: List of what is Close-up. N/A Voice-over of N/A N/A01:58 democratic and what is Presenter. hegemonic about the media landscape. Presenter inside Internet Mid shot. Internet Café. Presenter. N/A Formal top and02:05 café talking to the skirt with a coat. camera while walking. Presenter walking out of Long shot. Internet Café. Presenter. N/A Formal top and02:10 the internet Café. skirt with a coat.
25. Shot List – First HalfTime: Scene: Shot Description: Location: Characters: Props: Costume: Facebook user page. Close-up. N/A N/A Computer. N/A02:15 Animation of statistics N/A N/A N/A Computer. N/A02:10 on Facebook users. Animation of titles – Close-up. N/A N/A Computer. N/A02:15- How the internet is the perfect tool for control. 30
26. Shotlist Shot Art deptTime Scene Location Characters Costume Description /Props ‘Liking’ a page on Screen Recording Media Presenter • Mac N/A 15 Facebook, showing from the Mac using Room - voiceoversecs how it affects your Quick Time Mac describing the feed, and information effects and given on FB what its doing The presenter is Mid shot Living Presenter • N/A • Brown/beige 5 flowing talking on the space coatsecs statistics from the internet • Skirt public cafe • Converse • cardigan Statistics are written on Statistics are Media Presenter • Mac N/A 10 the screen on written in Facebook Room - Voiceoversecs hegemony and comment boxes, Mac democracy uploaded on blogs… An animation starting Close up of Media • Presenter • Picture • Clear beige 15 from Web 1.0 , with drawings being Room voiceover s nail varnishsecs sociological theory – moved around in including visuals it and fast motion to show • Hand information coming out it visually model - of a computer and Gledis none going in
27. Shotlist Shot Art deptTime Scene Location Characters Costume Description /Props Examples of upsurge in Screen Recording Media Presenter • Mac N/A 5 the 90’s from the Mac using Room - voiceoversecs showing picking boxes Quick Time Mac for online dating sight Followed showing Screen Recording Living Presenter • Mac N/A 5 someone clicking to from the Mac using space voiceoversecs edit on Wikipedia Quick Time internet cafe Lastly writing or Screen Recording Media Presenter • Mac N/A 5 publishing story on from the Mac using Room - Voiceoversecs social news sites Quick Time Mac Close up of Media • Presenter • Picture • Clear beige 5 Timeline animation drawings being Room voiceover s nail varnishsecs moves to Web 2.0 moved around in fast motion to show • Hand it visually model - Gledis An edited video of Screen Recording Media • Presenter • Mac N/A 10 YouTube subscribers from Mac using Room Voiceoversecs and views increasing Quick Time and many video’s coming on the screen
28. Shotlist Shot Art deptTime Scene Location Characters Costume Description /Props Public shot significant Two shot with Trafalgar Public N/A • Brown/beige 4 ‘quote’ from interview public and square coatsecs on Web 2.0 presenter Presenter • Skirt • Converse • cardigan Public shot significant Close up of the Trafalgar Pubic N/A N/A 6 ‘quote’ from interview public squaresecs on Web 2.0 Public shot significant Mid shot of the Trafalgar Public N/A N/A 5 ‘quote’ from interview public squaresecs on Web 2.0 An animation Close up of Media • Presenter • Picture • Clear beige 2 introducing and drawings being Room voiceover s nail varnishsecs followed from Web 2.0 moved around in – to Web 3.0 fast motion to show • Hand it visually model - Gledis Presenter is explaining Full body shot Living • Presenter • N/A • Brown/beige 3 to the audience what a Space coatsecs filter bubble is • Skirt • Converse • cardigan
29. Shotlist Shot Art deptTime Scene Location Characters Costume Description /Props Information coming out Screen shot Media Presenter Mac • N/A 3 of a bubble surrounded Room voiceoversecs by many others Two Google searches Split screen of Media Presenter Mac N/A 7 presenting two screen recording Room voiceoversecs different search results using QuickTime Expert interview on Mid shot with name Convent Professional • Paper N/A 15 web 3.0 and algorithms and profession in technician • Desksecs left corner • computer how audience are Screen recording Media • Presenter • Mac N/a 5 fighting back on blogs , using QuickTime Room voiceoversecs wiki’s and social news Clip of voting on a Screen recording Media • Presenter • Mac N/A 5 social news site using QuickTime Room voiceoversecs Presenter carry’s on Long shot – walking Living • Presenter • N/A • Brown/be 5 explaining how into a mid shot Space ige coatsecs audience fight back • Skirt • Converse • cardigan