Entertainment Business Program
July 2014 – June 2015
MASTERY JOURNEY TIMELINE
My first goal is to successfully complete Full Sail’s Master’s Entertainment
After this program, I plan to attend law school to become an entertainment
As an attorney, I would like to work in the deal making process between
artists and movie or T.V. studios.
MASTERY: PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT
Learn what it means to be a Master and how to develop the mental tools to
become a Master.
• Read Giants of Enterprise: Seven Business Innovators and the Empires
They Built by Richard Tedlow.
• Read True North: Discover Your Authentic Leadership by Marjorie Brody.
• Use the tools that Robert Greene spoke of in his lecture and his book on
how to avoid emotional pitfalls and other dangerous situations that try to
Learn how to become an effective leader.
• Read Richard Lorenzen’s article, The Art Of Leadership: Become A More
Effective Leader In 3 Steps
• Subscribe to www.leadersinheels.com to learn how to be an effective
• Read The Ten Laws of Enduring Success by Maria Bartiromo
PROJECT AND TEAM MANAGEMENT
Learn how to manage a team and how to get that team to execute a project
• Read 101 Project Management Problems & How to Solve Them by Tom
• Follow the advice of Dorie Clark who wrote the Forbes article, Five Ways
to Become a Better Team Player
• Read Selena Rezvani’s article, How to Make Your Mark When You Enter A
BUSINESS STORYTELLING AND BRAND
Acquire the skills and knowledge on how to develop my own brand identity and
how to utilize these skills in the real world.
• Follow Maria Ross’s advice in her article, Develop Your Brand Voice: Three
Keys to Killer Messaging
• Watch the Lynda.com tutorial, Developing a Brand Name
• Watch the Lynda.com tutorial Developing Brand Identity and Collateral
ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS FINANCE
Learning the financial challenges in the entertainment industry and how to
• Watch the Lynda.com tutorial, Business Innovation Fundamentals
• Watch the video, Financial Literacy: Reading Financial Reports
• Watch the video, Accounting Fundamentals http://www.lynda.com/Business-
NEGOTIATION AND DEAL-MAKING
Obtain the skills on how to become a good negotiator and how to be
persuasive enough to get a deal to go in my favor.
• Read Liar’s Poker by Michael Lewis.
• Read Becoming a Skilled Negotiator by Kathleen Kelley Reardon.
• Follow the advice of Steve Brown in his article, Top 10 Qualities Of A
Complete Skilled Negotiator
PRODUCT AND ARTIST MANAGEMENT
Learn the nature and the complexities of product and artist management and
how to overcome them.
• Read the article, The Secret To Being A Good Artist Manager
• Watch the tutorial, Networking Within Your Organization
• Take advantage of the networking opportunities Full Sail University has to
offer by joining clubs.
ADVANCED ENTERTAINMENT LAW
Learn more about my desired field and the legal complexities that face artists
and entertainment companies.
• Subscribe to The Hollywood Reporter and follow their legal articles and
read about the professional featured in the magazine.
• Read Copyright Law by Richard W. Stim
• Read David Pogue: The Music Wars on
ENTERTAINMENT MEDIA PUBLISHING
Learn the traditional and new digital way to publish and distribute different
form of entertainment content.
• Follow Anne Rice on her Facebook page since she often discusses the
complexities of the book publishing industry.
• Read The Insider’s Guide To Independent Film Distribution by Stacey
• Read Fans, Friends, & Followers by Scott Kirsner
Learn the various forms and outlets of digital marketing and how to effectively
use them in business.
• Read The New Rules of Marketing and PR by David Meerman Scott
• Utilize the site www.adage.com which is an industry website for
advertising and marketing.
• Read the article, Digital Marketing: The Future of Business by Ronald
BUSINESS PLAN DEVELOPMENT
To gain knowledge on the ins and outs of establishing a business plan and
how to apply the previous courses to this plan.
• Read Entrepreneurship by Marc Meyer and Frederick Crane.
• Subscribe to www.fastcompany.com which publishes articles on various
• Read Dorie Clark’s Forbes article, The Right Way To Execute Your
Strategic Plan http://www.forbes.com/sites/dorieclark/2013/05/08/the-right-
FINAL PROJECT: BUSINESS PLAN
To encompass everything I have previously learned and apply it to presenting
my business plan.
• Successful Business Plan by Rhonda Abrams.
• Read Speaking Your Way To The Top By Marjorie Brody.
• Follow the advice of Alan Gleeson in his article Delivering A Winning
Business Plan Pitch http://articles.bplans.co.uk/financing-a-
MENTORS IN MY FIELD
• David McClain: (813) 628-6000
• David Snyder: (813) 258-4501.
• Catherine P. Paunov: (813) 975-7340 Ext. 230
• Dimiter Nikolov: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Inc Pagliuca: email@example.com
• Bryen Hill: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Well versed in the field of law.
• Passionate about their work.
• Has diverse contacts in the legal field.
• Not intimidating.
• Able to give good advice.
SCHOOL / INDUSTRY INTERESTS
• Entertainment Networking Society
• Pre-Law Society
• The C.E.O. Society
• International Student Society
• American Bar Association
• International Association of Entertainment Lawyers